Author Topic: Trout Rigging Tip ups  (Read 3008 times)

Offline tziegert14

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout Rigging Tip ups
« on: Sep 16, 2009, 06:02 AM »
Hi All, starting to get the flag up ich! Last year I did pretty good on trout with my tip ups last winter, does this mean I can't do better? Yes I can! I have been following the posts here in the trout section and read somethings that I want to try but have some questions about. I have taken one my tip ups and knotted in about 50 feet of 6 pound Fireline crystal to cut down visabilty. Question one, do I tie my hook directly to the Fireline or should I still use a leader of flourocarbon? Question two regards swivels in general. All my tip ups have a small ball bearing swivel on them to prevent the bait from tangling the leader, is this really the case? I have read here when targeting trout the less is better. If I drop the swivel will I have problems with small to medium shiners tangling my leaders up.

Thanks coolpool

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Trout Rigging Tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I use a braid on my tip ups, but tie on a piece of florocarbon.   
I don't use a swivel, because most of the line twist is going to happen when you have the fish on.

After catching the fish,  you can pull any twist out of the line when you wind it back on the tip up.

Stick with Florocarbon for leader material.  it does make a difference.

Also, what size of hooks are you using ?

for inland trout,  I use #16 to #18 treble hooks, for larger trout on the great lakes, # 8 to #12 work better.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
Re: Trout Rigging Tip ups
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2009, 03:22 PM »
good info :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.