New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: "fishfinders" on the ice  (Read 4323 times)

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
"fishfinders" on the ice
« on: Sep 14, 2009, 12:47 PM »
I am looking to pick up some type of fish finder this year. The flashers are nice but out of my price range right now. I would also like to use it on my inflatable boat this fall.
I was wondering if anyone uses a regular fishfinder on the ice. I have noticed that some models offer split-screen displays using a flasher type bar/line display on one side. Like the Humminbird 500 series. 100-150 bucks is about the most I'll be able to swing right now.

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "fishfinders" on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2009, 01:05 PM »
 I still use my Eagle silent sixty on the boat and ice. I made a wooden box that I mount it to every winter. Regular lcd fish finders work ok, most just have a solid line across the screen when a fish or your jig shows up.

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2009, 01:56 PM »
For 100-150 bucks dont rule out Ebay or craigslist.  Buddy of mine picked up a vexilar FL-8 last year for 100 bucks and it works great and he is very happy with it..  had to swing an extra 20 bucks to buy himself a new battery for it..other than that its as good as new!!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Agree with looking on Ebay. I musta bid on 100 of em before I won one. Got a x67c for under 150 including shipping. Going on 3 years Old and no problems yet.....(knocking on wood)...... :)
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2009, 06:11 PM »
I picked up a FL8se Genz Pack off of Craigslist last winter for $100.  Works great.  Put some work into it and you'll come up with a deal.

Jeff

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2009, 09:15 AM »
I'll keep looking and see what I come up with. Planning on building it into my sled. Already have a 12v gel battery mounted in there for lights and a radio. I'll see which one I end up with. I'm probably going to pick up a fishfinder just so I can use it on the boat this fall too. I'm bidding on a couple GPS combos right now. I'll troll around this fall marking spots and go back to them on the ice.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2009, 11:46 AM »
i just got one of the SILENT 60 SSI-WP  fish finders    I was wondering how to set it up the best for ice fishing and any other help you can give me its my first time using a fish finder

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 19, 2009, 02:07 PM »
regular fish finders work just fine on the ice.

when i got mine, all i did was solder some alligator clips on the wires and hooked it up to a 12 v battery i bought from cabelas.
i got a cheap cooler from walmart and threw the batterys in there and mounted the finder to the lid.

the only pain is the transducer cable is a bit long, but once you figure how much cable you need, you can just tape the rest and leave it in the cooler.

IMHO this is the way to go when having a fishfinder.
no matter what boat your in, you can bring it with you.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #8 on: Oct 19, 2009, 04:09 PM »
For the money I love my showdown,accompied with my aqua vu,,cant bet it.move till ya findem and drop the camera.

Offline trouter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 19, 2009, 07:46 PM »
I use a regular fishfinder for icefishing which has the flasher option also but i never use it.because its so boring. The regular sonar signal is a straight line until the fish move up or down the column but once you get used to it you will be able to know whats going on down there. I can see my jig at 150 feet and when a laker is on the prowl, i can get it right to him. Great site to see them after your jig. Everones different so buy accordingly. Lots of buys on ebay. You can usually get a ice fishing transducer there also.If its a lowrance you can purchase the ice transducer from lowrance web site. Good luck.

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 19, 2009, 07:54 PM »
IYO is 215$ a good deal for an LX3, used, non-tc version? looks in good shape, has new battery?
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2009, 09:23 AM »
James, I like the cooler set-up. Kind of the same Idea I had for mine. But I think I'm going to build it into my sled for the winter. Unless I find a Portable unit with a case on e-bay.

Offline we3jeepers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Jeep?
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2009, 04:27 AM »
I have a Humminbird 110 Fishin' Buddy. I have not used it on the ice yet but am excited to do so, i have used it on my canoe and have located some fish.

Offline fishingPole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:42 AM »
I've used the Humminbird 110 Fishin' Buddy last year on the ice.  It will show you depth, and if there's fish down there, and the relative size of them.  It won't show you your lure however or fish in a stationary position as the screen keeps moving.  But, it's good for the basics.  I did break down and this year replaced it with a Vexilar.  I missed too many fish last year compared to a friend with a Vexilar who was able to position his lure and work it accordingly to track a fish's movements to entice a strike.  But for the money, the Humminbird is good for the basics.
Leave it better than you found it

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2009, 07:31 PM »
Eagle makes some reasonable regular fishfinders you can use through the ice.  Purchase a blue Genz box or build something similar to tote it around with.  I used to use my old ff until I purchased my Vex.  Either will work for you.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:37 PM »
iv seen alot of people who have the same type of set up as the cooler and they dont seem to have a problem with it 
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline freeman77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 29, 2009, 10:56 PM »
I have a marcum it was a little less then the vex but works just as good I have tried the normal ff but did not have alot of luck they do not show your jig. and when the fish are very picky it nice to be able to put the jig right in there face. ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:04 AM »
if you can get a vex! f not that collor idea is  great , dave getz makes  a  box  for  just the same thing which i had for years  before  getting a vex , worked  good  but  i like the flasher better,personal opinion

Offline fishin4fun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • and then there was ice !!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 07, 2009, 10:15 AM »
i used a portable ff for a season a couple years ago,i kept having trouble so i contacted the manufacturer. my problem was,it started to get to cold. the screen kept screwing up. saved some money,got a fl-18.. never had to worry about it again,the vex loves cold.........

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:15 AM »
I bought Marcum's cheapest flasher (vx1 ?).  I think i gave 150 for it new.  Awesome unit.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:04 AM »
I used to use a humminbird 400id when I first started using electronics in a shack    abit slow  but it did work! 

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:12 AM »
VX-1, best bang for the buck!

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:50 AM »
Here's my $100 set up. Been using it for 6 seasons now!

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:42 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

good product...i've got an lx-2 (same as vx-1 pro + a softcase) that i'm still trying to sell for $200

Offline dk_kon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:48 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Agreed.  I have the same model, with a softcase

Offline walleygod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleygod
« Reply #25 on: Nov 15, 2009, 02:31 PM »
I am looking to pick up some type of fish finder this year. The flashers are nice but out of my price range right now. I would also like to use it on my inflatable boat this fall.
I was wondering if anyone uses a regular fishfinder on the ice. I have noticed that some models offer split-screen displays using a flasher type bar/line display on one side. Like the Humminbird 500 series. 100-150 bucks is about the most I'll be able to swing right now.
keep eye out on 4 sale board might luck into a flasher best 4 on ice
if 1 fish farts it gives them all away

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.