Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New Ice equipment  (Read 5408 times)

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Ice equipment
« on: Sep 08, 2009, 04:02 PM »
Anyone have any details about the new GENZ sticks that are coming out? 

Anything else that you know of coming soon for the ice?
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Ice equipment
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2009, 07:17 PM »
I got a St. Croix legend ice rod but have not used it...waiting patiently - Bring on the ICE!!! 

Offline SLIMREHM

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2008--2009--New-MarCum- lx5-2500-#1 in ice fishing
« Reply #2 on: Oct 01, 2009, 12:05 AM »
I got a St. Croix legend ice rod but have not used it...waiting patiently - Bring on the ICE!!! 
8)Best ice rod that you will ever use ....you will love it slim.
        WORK IS FOR GUYS WHO DON,T ICE FISH             Slim Rehm...

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 01, 2009, 12:54 AM »
just got 2 bro sticks...1 24" light and 1 26" quick tip on ebay for $8...keep the deals coming boys!!!   :laugh:

Offline chubking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 01, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Seen them at Thorne Bros. mod.get together last Saturday.They looked ok .I really liked the short one for site fishing a little stiff.The new reel that comes with them is alot better made than the old ones .No back slop that I could tell.Clam also has  new mini tackle box out that will fit in a shirt pocket.Really neet I will be getting some of both at the ice show.ICE JOHN
TEAM ICEHEAD

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2009, 10:20 PM »
I was just thinking that I could use a new tackle box or two. Smaller is better on the ice for me.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 02, 2009, 12:27 AM »
flambeau blue ribbon fly boxes are the best i've found...the vff foam doesn't tear up and the small box will hold a couple hundred ice jigs!

Offline reelman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Picked up a 4 wheeler(shack puller) And a Clam Xsuit.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2009, 03:09 PM »

I picked one up also..........that spring bobber system on them seems like it will be the nuts.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2009, 03:20 PM »
I looked at the St Croix Legend all summer and was ready to pull the trigger on a couple until I read several posts on here about poor quality.  I heard about a local guy that builds custom ice rods, but no one was able to reach him over the summer and early fall.  I finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Jason Mitchell customs and am anxiously awaiting their delivery.  I have a couple of brand new Tica Cetus GV500's to go on 'em when they get here.

-Jeff

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009, 07:39 PM »
I looked at the St Croix Legend all summer and was ready to pull the trigger on a couple until I read several posts on here about poor quality.  I heard about a local guy that builds custom ice rods, but no one was able to reach him over the summer and early fall.  I finally pulled the trigger on a couple of Jason Mitchell customs and am anxiously awaiting their delivery.  I have a couple of brand new Tica Cetus GV500's to go on 'em when they get here.

-Jeff

I did hear about St. Croix rods having some issues, but I also heard that St. Croix stands behind their product 100%.  The spring bobber system looked so nice I decided to try it. Figured a person always hears a lot about the negative, and I had a St Croix premiere rod that I just loved. The only Problem I had with the premiere rod was the pickup door being shut on the end of the rod snapping it off. Other then a little stupidity the rod was great. 

The Jason Mitchell Rods have had a lot of great reviews, and should be a good rod. Hope you have good luck on the hard water with them Jeff.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Stan"s Bait in Mildford has a custom rod that is nuts cool...never seen anything like it.  Super soft, super fast taper...Hardwood handle...probably doesn't have over 100 per year made and sold.  They were gone last year when I went to get one.  Praying there are still there.  Imagine an 18" spring bobber....coming into a fast backbone....$24 I think.  Not a walleye rod...but a perch and crappier dream machine.

Other than that...I'm still working on an underwater cordless camera in a mini-sub configuration with GPS tracking, 12 hour battery, and broad spectrum lighting coupled with 20 gig SD Card that can assign GPS coordinates and time of day to the stored photo when the motion detector triggers the camera for fish and eventually automatically returns to the hole it was orginated from with the data. So far...I have the idea, an ice auger...

..and this post.  So I'm further than my wife thought I would  ever get...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:45 PM »
St. Croix Legend and a new clam 2 man.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Just got one of the new GENZ True Blue series...WOW!  they seem really nice, and the reels are great.  whole combo for $50.  Looking forward to the ice!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:18 PM »
Stan"s Bait in Mildford has a custom rod that is nuts cool...never seen anything like it.  Super soft, super fast taper...Hardwood handle...probably doesn't have over 100 per year made and sold.  They were gone last year when I went to get one.  Praying there are still there.  Imagine an 18" spring bobber....coming into a fast backbone....$24 I think.  Not a walleye rod...but a perch and crappier dream machine.

Other than that...I'm still working on an underwater cordless camera in a mini-sub configuration with GPS tracking, 12 hour battery, and broad spectrum lighting coupled with 20 gig SD Card that can assign GPS coordinates and time of day to the stored photo when the motion detector triggers the camera for fish and eventually automatically returns to the hole it was orginated from with the data. So far...I have the idea, an ice auger...

I like your idea, what would something like that retail for.......$500? Do you have a list of orders, put me on for one if the price isn't to high.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:52 PM »

GREAT IDEA...could we make this NUCLEAR POWERED???

I like your idea, what would something like that retail for.......$500? Do you have a list of orders, put me on for one if the price isn't to high.
[/quote]

cost isn't an issue...i wanna be on the "FIELD TESTING STAFF"!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:27 PM »
So..I was joking with a guy from Rockwell-Collins about my mini-sub idea.  He said tracking anything under the ice via GPS is not going to happen.  And the servos, ballasts, gyroscopes and propulsion would result in a fairly large unit.  Then he says "Why not make it a benthic roamer?  Like an underwater ATV.."   So we we're talking about that.  Other than trying to make a water tight housing and the obvious problem of stirring up the bottom, if you used a tethered unit with say 250' of cable you would solve your power issues and data transmission and, short of driving the rig into a pile of snags, you could easily get it back. Steering wouldn't be impossible with 4 independent wheel drives....but pulling the weight of the cable and it's low weight once in the water (not to mention it's loose sand bottom)...

Hmmm....I think I need to start raiding the stock shelves for low voltage motors and some lucite...dry suit and a chain saw might be cheaper.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Stan"s Bait in Mildford has a custom rod that is nuts cool...never seen anything like it.  Super soft, super fast taper...Hardwood handle...probably doesn't have over 100 per year made and sold.  They were gone last year when I went to get one.  Praying there are still there.  Imagine an 18" spring bobber....coming into a fast backbone....$24 I think.  Not a walleye rod...but a perch and crappier dream machine...

I know a guy that lives a mile from Stans he could stop in and get one for you    ::) I'll ask him when I'm in there next but guessing they were Jason Mitchels. I know he had a few last year.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:08 PM »
These babies are hand made...no label on them that I remember.  I need to call John and see if he is going to carry them.  He tried so hard to talk me into one...I was always in a hurry to get fishing and never make a habit of buying rods and/or line at bait shops...or propane.  Although I don't know why...John is always in line price wise.  Love going to his store...and he cleans fish!!  I haven't cleaned a fish up there in years....which is nice.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I am about sure mine are last years left overs. I got 6 Genz combo's off ebay for $102 shipped to my door. These are 23" UL Combo's with a 3 bb reel with anti-r, even got 4 lb spool of line with each. These are very nice r and r's. No I didn't need them but for $17 bucks for each combo what the heck. Gave 1 to a buddie for an early x-mas gift. He's a poor teacher. I kinda gave myself 2 other early x-mas gifts. A new Marcum LX-5(Reeds had a sale $315 to door) and alot newer Stikemaster gas auger(sold my old one). I can wait for ice though, the rut is here or really close and I have next week off !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Yep John treats a guy good, about the only place I shop local anymore. I'll stop after work tomarrow night and see what they were and if he's going to have them again this year. I'm always a sucker for a new rod. Maybe if I buy one he'll stock the line of muskie rods I like   ;D

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2009, 01:28 AM »
I got 6 Genz combo's off ebay  A new Marcum LX-5and alot newer Stikemaster gas auger...
sounds like a great day of 14" Don Williams SHAD to me!!!!!   ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Boji, there will be more rods to be had this year, how many I'm unsure of.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:31 PM »
You know..I like Thone bros..and st. croix...but they are variations on a theme.  The ones I saw there were truly truly...so unique...I didn't risk the whole purchase of $24.  Stupid.  My guess is...John could make a heck of a rod :-)

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:36 PM »

Well here's adding to ya. Take the deer trail cam,  vacuum pack it and drop down the hole.  Success kinda 

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2009, 03:21 PM »
Coulda make ya a gazillion dollars....Never know
Im in the presence of greatness :bow:

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:19 PM »
Try it off a dock first. If it works, then why not thru the ice?

Offline rjbreese

• IceShanty Rookie
  • fishing fool
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:01 AM »
 ??? hey where is this stans bait? what city and state? also do you have a contact number to call? i would like to purchase on of those rods boji hawk is talking about, thanks.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Stans is in Milford right on 71 on the East side of the road across from Boji Junction.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:18 PM »
I got a bait tank and a Thorne Bros 24" panfish rod. I been out catching chubs and minnows for my bait tank. Water is a bit chilly. Wont be too awful long.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.