The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: frost and 29f at 5am!  (Read 3345 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
frost and 29f at 5am!
« on: Aug 28, 2009, 07:00 AM »
got up to a good frost this morning. first time ive used my defrost on the truck. just thought id get ya'll going this morning. its comin'! cant wait!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: frost and 29f at 5pm this am!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2009, 07:02 AM »
only down to 34 here 
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2009, 09:51 PM »
got up to a good frost this morning. first time ive used my defrost on the truck. just thought id get ya'll going this morning. its comin'! cant wait!

is 5 pm this am canadian time or sumting? I cant wait either ...i might actually make it up there this year...hows end of feb sound?

Offline rude the dude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike, ruining the state of Me., one pond at a time
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:02 AM »
I thikn that potato talk. 8)
How they biten

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2009, 08:19 AM »
Thats foolish!     they dont talk   they just look   they got eyes you know   lol

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2009, 03:20 PM »
is 5 pm this am canadian time or sumting? I cant wait either ...i might actually make it up there this year...hows end of feb sound?
lol! took someone awhile to get that one! figuered you would be the first there scotty! i acutally typed it like that by mistake and just decided to leave it that way. yeah, end of feb. sounds great! what do you guys want to go for? sal. are little slow but the big togue are bitting. whitefish in the western lakes should be turned on by then. out4trouts crew comes up 1st week of mar. and they stay at macannamac camps on spider. real nice camps if you guys were interested we could rent a few cabins over there and all fish together. check out there website and let me know if your interested. from there you can fish a different lake everyday. all within 20min sled ride.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: frost and 29f at 5am!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2009, 03:23 PM »
send some down my way, i would appreciate it .
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2009, 05:12 PM »
You guys keep that frost out your way! I am working on one whopper of a pumpkin and I would like to see it grow a bit more before it freezes off.

I was bummin last year when we got a killing frost on Sept 1st. My pumpkin only made 200lbs, I bet it would have made 250 if it had a couple more weeks to grow.

I dont know what this one is gonna weigh, but it is a cow. :)

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2009, 06:48 PM »
wow, a two hundred pound pumkin! sounds like you were experimenting with steroids. ;Dany pics? way to go skipper
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2009, 07:00 PM »
imagine if that thing got rolling downhill!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I will post a pic in off-topic when it is done.

My idea is to put my 5 year old in the biggest pumpkin, my one year old in a smaller one, and have my eight year old sit on one for a Christmas card picture. I think that would be pretty cool. My wife may break my neck when the baby comes in the house covered in pumpkin guts. :-\

She will get over it! ;D

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:15 AM »
I will post a pic in off-topic when it is done.

My idea is to put my 5 year old in the biggest pumpkin, my one year old in a smaller one, and have my eight year old sit on one for a Christmas card picture. I think that would be pretty cool. My wife may break my neck when the baby comes in the house covered in pumpkin guts. :-\

She will get over it! ;D
that sounds like a pretty cool idea skipper.it will make for some great pics!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2009, 06:04 PM »

I could talk that way also!!  ::)
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:58 PM »
heck with the pumpkin bring on ice ...!
Hard Ice

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:04 PM »
i wish i had :icefish: it in my powers hard ice...
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2009, 06:33 PM »
heck with the pumpkin bring on ice ...!

i dunno if i want to skip turkey day...can we jusrt fast forward to then and that will still leave us time to prepare  ;)  i sure do love turkey day

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #16 on: Aug 31, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Why we talking ICE !!!!!!   We got fall migration around the corner  ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Aug 31, 2009, 08:38 PM »
You are right, screw the pumpkin.

How about turkey day ice? You Mainahs get ice as early as we do in MN, don't you? We get about 3 ice fishing thanksgivings in ten years here. We are about due....

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #18 on: Aug 31, 2009, 08:52 PM »
it wont be long now boys!!!

Offline PortageLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2009, 12:40 AM »
You guys keep that frost out your way! I am working on one whopper of a pumpkin and I would like to see it grow a bit more before it freezes off.

I was bummin last year when we got a killing frost on Sept 1st. My pumpkin only made 200lbs, I bet it would have made 250 if it had a couple more weeks to grow.

I dont know what this one is gonna weigh, but it is a cow. :)

Skipper, I too grow giant pumpkins. I have a good one growing ,hoping the frost holds off for a couple more weeks so I can squeeze some more growth out of it  ;D

Last year my killing frost occured on Sept 18th, final weight was 915lbs a personal best that I am hoping to beat this year 8).... growing giant pumpkins in a northern climate is a real challenge as you already know   :)....best of luck to you in the remainder of your growing season and the upcoming hardwater season...

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #20 on: Sep 04, 2009, 06:41 AM »
915#'s thats a lot of pie

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 04, 2009, 07:10 AM »
915lbs! where the heck you keep that? what do you do w/ it afterwards? no pumpkin chunkin' w/ that bad boy!

Offline PortageLaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Sep 04, 2009, 12:27 PM »

Jacksmelt it was sitting on my lawn last fall for about a month  I weighed it at the Gateway Variety in Ashland on the moose scale..the people that own the store were quite surprised when I pulled in with that on the back of my buddys pickup  ;D[/img]
   Got one growing right now that may beat last years...its going to be close

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2009, 12:57 PM »
WOW, that is some pumpkin...  But really what do you do with it??  ??? ???   What are the blue colored blocks ? are they used to keep it from touching the ground ?

Offline TravP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2009, 01:22 PM »
i dunno if i want to skip turkey day...can we jusrt fast forward to then and that will still leave us time to prepare  ;)  i sure do love turkey day
Ya, we can fast forward to then, because most years thats the first day on the ice for me! ;D

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Sep 04, 2009, 03:57 PM »
WOW, that is some pumpkin...  But really what do you do with it??  ??? ???   What are the blue colored blocks ? are they used to keep it from touching the ground ?

You show all of your friends, put it on your lawn for Haloween, then a lucky cow or pig gets to eat it. ;D It is a trivial persuit, it is just fun to grow them.

Mine isnt NEARLY as big as that one. I am going to stop at the local "hydroponics and novelty tobbacco pipe shop" before next spring and pick up a powerful grow light so I can start them in the basement a little sooner. I am also going to make some mini greenhouses out of old windows to set over the hills after I plant them in the ground. I have to wait till June 1st to plant them in the garden due to cold soil temps and frost risk. Pumpkins tolerate ZERO frost exposure. I am actually in Agricultural Zone 3a here, according to the USDA's new map. Big pumpkins need 120 days to fully mature, but we dont get 120 days between frost free dates here. ;D

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #26 on: Sep 04, 2009, 06:42 PM »
  Jacksmelt it was sitting on my lawn last fall for about a month  I weighed it at the Gateway Variety in Ashland on the moose scale..the people that own the store were quite surprised when I pulled in with that on the back of my buddys pickup  ;D(Image removed from quote.)[/img](Image removed from quote.)

I grew a giant pumpkin quit a few years ago, not quite as big as that one! I gave to a couple of my nephews for Halloween. Couldn't get a knife in it to carve, they painted it. And it was almost June before they could bust it up with a shovel and haul it away! My bother-in-law told me no more pumpkins!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 05, 2009, 03:26 PM »
  Jacksmelt it was sitting on my lawn last fall for about a month  I weighed it at the Gateway Variety in Ashland on the moose scale..the people that own the store were quite surprised when I pulled in with that on the back of my buddys pickup  ;D(Image removed from quote.)[/img](Image removed from quote.)
you live on the left just as youre heading s. of town? i think i remember seeing it . my kids comented on it. the styrofoams a good idea. almost as heavy as my moose was. how'd you load that in the truck?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Sep 05, 2009, 06:35 PM »
 What are the blue colored blocks ?
   >:D how you guys get any ice???  :roflmao: :roflmao:  if you dont know what insulation is   :whistle: :whistle: lol!!!!!!  Im just being a pain!   lol   

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 07, 2009, 10:07 AM »
hey wes . howd your pumkin fair the frost the other night? i wanna see that thing win a prize or something!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.