Author Topic: Mustange Survival suits?  (Read 1647 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Mustange Survival suits?
« on: Aug 16, 2009, 11:36 PM »
 I have coffee every morning that I go ice fishing at a local bait and tackle shop and some of the old timers that come in all wear a ruged snow suite that keeps them from getting hypothermia and keeps you afloat if you were to go through the ice! Somebody last year on here told me it was a mustange! Does anybody know where you could purchase one and if anyone on here owns one, how do you like it! I bought the Mickies for my feet because of those old timers, there great! THANKS FOR ANY INFO GUYS!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline DanAKAL

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Mustange Survival suits?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2009, 02:26 AM »
Boat and Marine stores usually have these suits.  Have a look at this link.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchView?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&keyword=mustang&x=43&y=9

I wear these from time to time when going offshore.  Mustang also makes many, if not all, of the survival suits for the Navy and Coast Guard.  The level of protection they provide equates to just how much money you want to spend.  People jump into the Bearing Sea wearing these things every week.  That should atest to how rugged they are.  I personally believe these to be somewhat overkill for ice fishing but that's just me.  If they can handle the Bearing Sea in the winter then falling in a frozen lake shouldn't be much of a challenge.  Instead of the high dollar Mustand Survival suits I would probably look into something like ice armour instead.

Dan
"Come With Me Little Girl On A Magic Carpet Ride"

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2009, 08:10 AM »
 Support the website:      click here-> http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/iceshanty_store

Ya get a free Shanty Patch 4 yer jacket and a 3 month Militia Trial to boot!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Support the website:      click here-> http://www.iceshanty.com/iceshanty/iceshanty_store

Ya get a free Shanty Patch 4 yer jacket and a 3 month Militia Trial to boot!

How much do they go for on here?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2009, 11:52 AM »
I heard the Arctic Armor suits are great. Pricey though. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline db1561

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My weekend home!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2009, 04:40 PM »
I heard the Arctic Armor suits are great. Pricey though. Smitty

They aren't to bad cost wise I got mine for 299.00 From, http://walleyedan.com/arcticarmor.html  last year. I love it after I got the correct size! Just make sure if you get one that it's not to tight and you will have to layer or you will get cold spots!

Do a search and you get more info that you will know what to do with!  ;D

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Snagger,
    I also own the IdI Arctic Armour in medium size for the jacket and bib overall. (I'm 5' 8" or 9 inches tall with out shoes, 180-185 pounds) The Arctic Armour is supposed to float you, it is not rated by the Coast Guard as a floatation or survival device.
   I purchased mine at Fish3o7 in Lake George in December of 2007 for $320 or $325 dollars. I like to try things on rather then have to send it back if ordered on-line /mail order.
   At that time the cheapest survival suit I could find was $425.00 for a one piece from boaters World it was either a Mustang or Stearn's.

Steve

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2009, 12:19 AM »
 That orange survival suit is the one the old timers had, only there's were faded to a very light orange! It's quite an investment though. Those ice armors are bibs with a jacket aren't they! I don't like bibs with straps, I have a full snow suite with no arms from cabelas I paid 250 for that I got 6 years out of, but its getting wear spots! Didn't expect anyone to reply yet, I like that Idea of  putting it on first Mr. Clean and I also would like to support Ice Shanty too!, Got alot to think about!  THANKS ALOT GUYS ON THE INFO!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 18, 2009, 06:51 AM »
I also bought the IDI gear and love it   I was in need of some cold weather gear  and the old USAF issued stuff was just all ragged out so a little research and knew that's what I wanted  I also use it for snowmobiling   granted I wear a hooded sweatshirt / jacket with it as it runs a bit big for me (jacket) I have never been cold!   and it has the added benefit of the floating SO at least the family would or could recover me  lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:14 PM »
I have IDI Arctic Armor also and I learned the first time that I used it that you don't put the bibs on and then drive 20 miles to the lake. I felt like a complete moron driving down the highway with the heater off and the windows down. When I got on the ice I was soaking wet from the waist down, but it kept me nice and warm all day.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Another satisfied customer of the IDI Arctic Armor.  Bought it about half way through the season last year and love it.  Got it from our sponsor, Fish307, and received a discount and 3 month militia subscription to Ice Shanty.  Well worth the investment, both the IDI and Malitia!!

Jeff

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Snagger,
    You try Google or other search engine to find Mustang's website. The website may have a dealer locater feature. I know you live by Oneida Lake there may be a marine products dealer in the area that carries the survival suit.
   Just my opinion when you try on the suit wear the heaviest clothes you currently wear on the ice. If you can still move freely in the suit consider buying it.
  If you are still interested in Arctic Armour here is a hyper link to Innovative Designs,Inc.    www.idigear.com

Steve

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:19 AM »
 ONCE AGAIN THANKS GUYS, whats IDI stand for?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 19, 2009, 01:46 AM »
Snagger IDI stands for Innovative Designs,Inc. they are located in Pittsburgh,PA.
    If you like your snow suit from Cabela's you will probably want to go with the survival suit. It looks like all three Arctic Armour suits are two piece (jacket/Bib overall.
     Besides the floation feature I personally like two piece suits easier for me to get on,also less to take off and expose to the elements if you have to release the infamous Brown Crappies.

Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.