Author Topic: 12v systems in permanent shacks  (Read 12986 times)

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
12v systems in permanent shacks
« on: Jul 05, 2009, 01:17 PM »
I am looking to wire a 12v system into my new shack.

I would like to power a car stereo w/XM and lights with this system. Also, there might be a 12v auto jigger or two that will need power also. I am looking at solar pannels as charging source while at the shack. I have a generator but would like to stick with solar power.

Anyone here use a solar pannel or have any ideas?

Thanks,

Ben

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 12v systems in permanent shacks
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:01 PM »
Solar panels would work, Provided you get them large enough.   A solar panel putting out milli-amps wouldn't do much good if you plan to use the shack (lights, radio, autojigger) every day.  Just not enough power to keep up with the output.  During the winter there is a decrease in the amount of "sun hours" so you would get even less from your panel over a 24 hour period.   If you panel was large enough and you watched how much power you used, you could recharge the battery (s).  All depends on how much you are willing to spend on solar power.  You can purchase systems to run an entire house if you have the money to spend.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:41 AM »
i used to run a inverter, lights, radio, outdoor lights, hole lights and ice auger on one batt it would last about a week of fishin everyday

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 06, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Just a tip on lighting. Check out Oznium.com for LED's. These use very little power and work great.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2009, 06:04 PM »
I went with 12 volt camper light fixtures and bought the 1156 48 led bulbs for them   for both my iceshack and camper  made battery life fantastic!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2009, 06:16 PM »
great post.... i too am wiring up the shanty....looking to use two marine deep cycle battery's.....fish cameras......radio.... ..fish-finder...and inside lights. im not ready for solar, but i will moniter battery life and charging as needed.......my major concern is hurting my equipment with in-experiance wiring. looking foward to posts on this one!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2009, 07:38 AM »
when wiring look for 12 volt trailer brake wire double insulated with black and white wire   good stuff  durable and no mistakes when color coded

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:30 PM »

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2009, 07:02 PM »
I am planning on driving on almost every time out this winter as we had over 4' at the end of the season. Lugging a battery won't be difficult but it is a fun ride on the sleds from the house to the shack.  I have some 12/2 and 14/2 wire that is kicking around that I will be using to wire the shack.

Offline bigpileofcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IN GOD I TRUST!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 04, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Is there any need for 110v in a shanty? I am building mine and thought I needed it, then started to think maybe not.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 04, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Is there any need for 110v in a shanty? I am building mine and thought I needed it, then started to think maybe not.

Probably not..  If you would need 110 for something, I'd suggest a converter.  Unless you wanna run a Very long extention cord.. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2009, 10:12 PM »
i 1/4 mile extension cord going to my shack from shore..lol

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2009, 07:03 AM »
Im putting in a couple of outlets in mine  as it can be of use off season   and also helps having them in there during the building process   also  keeps the cord outta the door   the inlet is a flanged 15 amp male built into the side of the shack with a normal outlet near the battery charger   and an outlet on each side of the shack   

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2009, 02:23 PM »
That is how  I wired my last shack.  I enjoyed having a tv/vcr set up in there and also I hooked up the Aqua Vu a couple of times!

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:39 PM »
If you are driving to your shack, why not use something like this?  Other than $$$.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9713693&findingMethod=rr
because it's not available at this time.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :cookoo: :cookoo:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline bigpileofcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IN GOD I TRUST!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2009, 09:56 PM »
I was thinking of just putting it in(110) so if I do decide to use it, it would be available. the inverter would be nice.

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings from Ottawa, ON. Go Sens Go !
« Reply #16 on: Sep 09, 2009, 04:03 PM »
I plan on wiring my 8x10 "ice shack/house" haha with plugs, lights, etc then connect the one line to a male plug.  In the winter (while fishing) I will hook it up to 2 12v deep cycle batteries with an inverter. I did this to run our trailer.

In the summer the hut will be back on the property and I'll just run an extension cord to it. Visitors can stay in the hut and be comfy :-)

1 fully charged battery (with inverter) had enough current to run a small tv for 8 hours, I also ran a small fan for a few hours.

Thought this may help -

D&T

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2009, 12:34 PM »
DD,

I use two 15 watt solar panels connected together (30 watts) and then to a 7 amp controller box so I don't over charge or discharge my batteries. I run 2 marine batteries together (positive wired to positive and negative wired to negative) so that I have increased capacity (juice storage).
I run a Lowrance x85 fish finder, a Kenwood car receiver, lights LEDs and aftermarket truck interior lights (not at the same time), and a fan from time to time. Sometimes I hook up my Atlantis underwater panning camera to it as well but find that it uses alot of juice, so I put it on a separate smaller battery (7 amp) that I bring home and charge at night. I don't have any problems unless I stay for extended periods of time (like staying over for a couple of nights).
At the start of the season I make sure my batteries are fully charged and then I'm pretty much set for the rest of the winter. Before a derby I'll bring the batteries home to recharge just in case so I can stay for 3-4 nights without problems. When you can, especially at night, try to conserve juice by running candles, not playing cd's etc....
If you have a generator, not a bad idea to wire up 110 as well and also to a charger and a volt meter. Best of both worlds with no worries.

Take care,
JIGGIN.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:43 AM »
Here's a website that has everything that you need.

http://fishhousesupply.com

They sell completed trailers, but they also sell all the parts needed to make your own ice shack.

They have 12 volt lights, wind and solar generators, TV accessories, Satellite dishes, furnaces and heaters etc.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I use two 15 watt solar panels connected together (30 watts) and then to a 7 amp controller box so I don't over charge or discharge my batteries. I run 2 marine batteries together (positive wired to positive and negative wired to negative) so that I have increased capacity (juice storage).
I run a Lowrance x85 fish finder, a Kenwood car receiver, lights LEDs and aftermarket truck interior lights (not at the same time), and a fan from time to time.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't connecting two 12 volt batteries positive to positive & negative to negative not increase your juice storage but increase your voltage to 24 volts. The storage capacity is regulated by # of, size, type & condition of the battery(s).
Also running your 12 volt electronics on 24 volts could damage them.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2009, 12:32 PM »
no wiring batteries that way is a parrellel connection if you hooked 1 positive to 1 negative then hooked up to the other available possitive and the other neg with your device then you have 24v

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2009, 12:37 PM »
Thanks

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I'm wired for both 110 v and 12 v in my shanty. It has an on board charger for charging the batteries when it is in my driveway. On the ice I crank up the generator to give them a charge. It is nice to keep them charged and conditioned while it is in my driveway though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I'm wired for both 110 v and 12 v in my shanty. It has an on board charger for charging the batteries when it is in my driveway. On the ice I crank up the generator to give them a charge. It is nice to keep them charged and conditioned while it is in my driveway though.

This is the way I would go with my next house. A friend of mine just picked up a house similar to the way yours is wired up. Even has a volt meter. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for him this year. He has a small Honda generator to keep everything charged.

Very nice.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.