Author Topic: What sonar works best?  (Read 3742 times)

Budman70

What sonar works best?
« on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:30 PM »
  I'm going to buy a sonar and can't decide between a Vexilar FL-18,Lowrance Ice Machine or Marcum LX-3. Any advice on which one works the best or are they all abuot the same?

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: What sonar works best?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:51 PM »
My self and another guy will be buying the marcum LX3the three level zome the vex doesnt have the marcum has more power for better target seperation see more fish clearly .The vex has less power.you realy need to go to there web sites and compare thats what I did.A ford guy will always say ford a chevy guy will always say chevy do your home work. ;)
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2004, 03:01 AM »
Go with the marcum. What about toyota and nissan?!?! :o ;D

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2004, 07:37 AM »
I have a fl-18 and love it. I have seen the lx-3's and they are nice also. If you have the opportunity to, see both of them in use on the ice. Also search on here, it has been rehashed countless times. There are loyalists here for both brands. The more power thing doesn't fly though. Honestly, I think both have too much power(at least for where I fish - less than 40' typically). I also use my fl-18 during the summer on my boat with their trolling motor transducer.  MarCum also has a trolling motor transducer available. Whichever one you buy, I know you will be happy with because it will help you locate more fish. Can't give you any help on the lowrance.
Ken                                          

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:32 AM »
Me personally I like Vexilar better.  I have an easier time telling color differences on the Vex than I do the Marcum.  More power seems to be overkill as far as I am concerned.  All the power does is create interference all over the place.  2 guys at work have LX3's and they can't have them on at the same time in their shack or they interfere with each.  Whichever you choose you will be happy I am sure.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2004, 08:52 PM »
I just picked up a LX3 this year and so far its great.This is my first sonar so I really didn't have a comparison.

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2004, 12:39 PM »
I've posted several messages on this site regarding my experience with the Lowrance X67c Ice Machine.  If you hit the "Search" button and look for "x67c", you will be able to find them.

If you have any questions on the unit, let me know, and I'll try to help.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2005, 08:16 PM »
lx-3 all the way, baby!

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

iceman480

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I've got a fl 18.  BUt the way I see it is everyone that has sonar likes the one they have so the only advice I can give you is decide what fish you are mostly after the lx 3 in my opinion would be great for crappie or other fish that suspend if your after perch walleye then go with the fl18.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2005, 11:02 AM »
I'd pick the Lowrance first, the Marcum second, and the Vexilar last.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

P Gottshall

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2005, 11:40 AM »
Tough one - most answers you get will be emotional.   :-\  Kinda' like "should I guy Chevy Ford, or Chrysler?"  All are (equally?) good products, & each have a following.  Your answere will depend on who you ask.

What you need to find is an unbiased "Consumer Report" type report.  Good luck with that, as every publisher I've read has sponsors too. . .

I am a Vex owner (my next unit will be the Marcum), but here's my best "unbiased" recall of what I've read:

Vex has a strong history of a good product.  Their FL18 is excellent for bottom-dwellers, like Walleye.
Marcum is also a quality company.  Their LX3 is better if you're hunting suspended fish, like Crappies.
Lowrance is similar to the LX3, but is an LCD.  History has been that LCD's are bad cold, but this seems to be the exception.

For what it's worth,
Paul

ps - buy a Chevy!!  ;D

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:45 PM »
Seems to me I read that the Vexilar is a Japanese product.  The Marcum is American made.  So is the Lowrance.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chucker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice - It's not just for drinking!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:50 PM »
The box for the Vex FL-8SE I just bought this past week states that it includes components made in China, Japan, and the US.
I'm a-going to stay where ya sleep all day,
Where they hung the jerk who invented work
In the big rock candy mountains.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2005, 09:24 PM »
The Marcum's made & assembled in Anoka, MN, the Vex is assembled in Brainerd or Bemidji, I think Brainard, & I don't know where Lawrance is made.  As far as an unbiased opinion, I owned an FL-8 for three years.  Absolutely loved it & was gonna upgrade to an FL-18, but the wise man at Gander Mountain (which is where I now work) told me about the Marcum.  Now I love it. 

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2005, 02:50 PM »
I've read all the reply's and noone said the right thing. If you dont have one just run as fast as you can to get one . It doesn't matter what kind.
          Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.