The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Don't give up yet!  (Read 3190 times)

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Don't give up yet!
« on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Went out to the berkshires today in what might or might not be my last trip....17 inches ice, 15 of em good....Shorlines loced up tight when i left today at 4pm.  ok, next weekend is a posibility
Joining me today was my wife, 1kingsalmon, our buddy trev, and my father Russell.
Not too many fish, but enough to keep us out there.  let the wife take most of the flags, and she caught her 1st ever Bass and 1st ever yellow perch, so that made it worth while. 

Mainly small pickeral and some jigged gills, but we got some decent perch on the tips and some bass later in the day.  think everyone walked off the ice with a good sunburn on their face.

Gorgeous day to be ice fishing!

Wifes 1st bass

She gets a double!

I get one

Wife's 1st Perch ( a real nice one at that)

Catch of the day

1King and I returning the fish to the water

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Re: Don't give up yet!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Looks like a great day out Jeeps.  Congrats to the wife on some first.  It sure was some pleasant weather to be ice fishing in. 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:26 PM »
What a great way to spend with the Misses.
She looks like she had fun.
Is that a Rock bass on the bottom of the multi fish photo?
MA

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 05:37 PM »
Is that a Rock bass on the bottom of the multi fish photo?

Yes it is, 1kingsalmon got it on a tipup....1st fish of the day

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:31 PM »
good job getting the wife involved mine will never go. Looks like a great day of fishing in good weather sweet jeeps :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:34 PM »
good job getting the wife involved mine will never go. Looks like a great day of fishing in good weather sweet jeeps :tipup:

Ha!  I've actually had a fish on the line for mine on South Cape while we were at the beach and she still would not reel it in...
, , ,

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:32 PM »
2 Dozen Shiners - $9.00
Food for the trek on the Ice - $18.59
Gas for the ride out west - $30.00

Ice Fishing on March 15th with the Wife and Friends?     
Priceless!

Excellent Jeepsw AND Mrs. Jeepsw!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:34 PM »
2 Dozen Shiners - $9.00
Food for the trek on the Ice - $18.59
Gas for the ride out west - $30.00

Ice Fishing on March 15th with the Wide and Friends?     
Priceless!

Excellent Jeepsw AND Mrs. Jeepsw!

Flaggs!

;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D ??? :o :o
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:37 PM »
;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? ??? ;D ??? :o :o

jeezuz.. you didn't even give me 2 seconds to correct my error!  Wow!  can you get rid of that post before she see's it??? :o
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline bucklwi1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:02 PM »
can you give me any info as to what lakes or ponds still have safe ice?  I am new to ice fishing and really would love to get out 1 last time this season.  I live in southeastern MA and all the ice is gone around here.  I know guys don't like to give out secret spots, and that's fine by me.  I'm just looking for ice!

I don't mind driving to get there, but want to be sure there is safe ice (enough to account for some melting during the day too) before taking a 2 hour drive.

I can't PM yet (too new) so any help you could give me on here would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:08 AM »
Nice catch and release, I can see keeping the perch. but what about those bass.
Glad you fish out west and not any where I fish.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:36 AM »

There was some contemplation on keeping some for the table...yes some people eat them.  They were perfect table size, all around 1lb.  If your gonna keep them, keep the ones in the 12-14 inch range, we let all the bigger ones go.  In the end, we decided we didn't want to cook them up that night, and we released them all unharmed back into the water.  We use a livewell that goes under the ice, so the fish are kept in the water with minimal stress.  I also use tis for derby's as well, so we don't have to rush to weigh in.  I've never hada visible mortality, even with trout.

My live well that i use:
 http://todaystackle.com/icewell.html

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:10 AM »

Nice attitude and ignorance.  Three years a member, only 26 post and two of them are about what other people do with their legally caught fish.  And, you didn't read the post close enough to see the there is even a picture of him putting the fish back in the water.   Glad you fish out east and not any where I fish.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline JDiPerrio

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:40 AM »
Great Job Jeeps

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2009, 10:40 AM »
seem to be a lot critical posts this week from people who are of rookie status on the site, not just this page either.
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline crazycrawler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike17.0 Steely9.8 Bass6.9 Brood8.0 Crappie17.5
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2009, 10:54 AM »
Kudos to getting the wife out there on a spectacular day  :clap:

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:00 AM »
I dont think the dorsal fins stick straight out on dead fish, It looks to me he dumped the live well on the ice for a GROUP photo. If you look ,you can see the slush being kicked around

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:33 AM »
It was not good when we left there Jeeps at 7:15. We fell through right off that point to the right of that little red house about 15 feet from shore. You will able to fish the hill towns but down there it is over by Wednesday with mid fifty temps it was not good.

Offline bisceglia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2009, 12:19 PM »
was expecting the ice to be gone. i un packed everything on thurs. whent yesterday, expecting to shore cast on what was open but ended up jigging. quite the change with 3/4 hour driving.

i see 14 fish on the ice....i'm hungry....i'm getting chinese...later
all fishermen are liars, except me and you... but i'm not so sure about you

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2009, 01:59 PM »
good report jeeps, you guys and the mrs. had a nice day and some good fish.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 16, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I dont think the dorsal fins stick straight out on dead fish, It looks to me he dumped the live well on the ice for a GROUP photo. If you look ,you can see the slush being kicked around

That is exactly what we did..they release phot was directly after..fish were on the ice all of 20-30 seconds..and the top layer was almost water.  Thanks for the support guys. 

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Nice attitude and ignorance.  Three years a member, only 26 post and two of them are about what other people do with their legally caught fish.  And, you didn't read the post close enough to see the there is even a picture of him putting the fish back in the water.   Glad you fish out east and not any where I fish.

We don't want him either..  Lets send him south!!
, , ,

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Heyyyyy!!!! , why south :o

Offline vonmoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Don't worry guys, I just check for conditions and sound off when I feel like making waves.
my reason is this,
3 years ago before I became a member of this group, I went out west for the first time, to one of the pike lakes, I felt a drop in IQ once I passed Sprigfield.
As I sat in the parking area, looking for the person I was going to meet with binoculars, I spotted him with his orange hunting coat.
so I loaded up my sled and started to cross the lake, I passed a group of shanty members halfway across, and a guy with a shanty hat came over and blasted me for stalking him for his spots with binoculars, and said I have been watching him for the last 2 weeks, a few of his buddies joined in, now this was the first time I had ever seen him or set foot on this lake, but he insisted I was watching him, and beware of the code. so that is when I signed up to see what kind of people, were on this site. I had a good day of fishing headed home, and when I got east of sprigfield I remembered how to turn my radio on, and how to fasten my seat belt. 
end of story....

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:42 PM »
Don't worry guys, I just check for conditions and sound off when I feel like making waves.
my reason is this,
3 years ago before I became a member of this group, I went out west for the first time, to one of the pike lakes, I felt a drop in IQ once I passed Sprigfield.
As I sat in the parking area, looking for the person I was going to meet with binoculars, I spotted him with his orange hunting coat.
so I loaded up my sled and started to cross the lake, I passed a group of shanty members halfway across, and a guy with a shanty hat came over and blasted me for stalking him for his spots with binoculars, and said I have been watching him for the last 2 weeks, a few of his buddies joined in, now this was the first time I had ever seen him or set foot on this lake, but he insisted I was watching him, and beware of the code. so that is when I signed up to see what kind of people, were on this site. I had a good day of fishing headed home, and when I got east of sprigfield I remembered how to turn my radio on, and how to fasten my seat belt. 
end of story....

Those Shanty guys who stopped you?  They're GONE!   :flex:  We don't tolerate that Bull Schlitz!  I hope you grossed them out! These guys here, we would have invited you for a 'taste' of our coconut milk and breakfast!!!   right guys?

Flaggs!

Offline massmanmark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:51 PM »
jeeps,

Sorry, I thought you took all those bass home. glad you let them go.
I apologize for making a scene.

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:54 PM »
You got it Flaggs... Vonmoe... sounds Russian :P ;D  I would have asked you if I could jig in your hole! ;D :P... Good group of guys here buddy... don't worry about those dinks you ran across... we've been weedin them out! ;) - Porterhulk :flex:

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 16, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Heyyyyy!!!! , why south :o

Hahaha.. I knew that you would bite on that one !
, , ,

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:11 PM »
my reason is this,
end of story....

Just stay east of the Quabin and you won't have to worry about draining what is obviously a limited resource in your brain.

Offline Massfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2009, 04:38 PM »
my reason is this,
end of story....

I hope your drinking water comes from the Quabbin!
I'm a Sucker Slaughterer!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.