Author Topic: Conduit or Water Skis  (Read 3670 times)

Offline NHDanO

• IceShanty Rookie
Conduit or Water Skis
« on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:27 AM »
Well I plan on making myself a decent sized sled this summer and want some input.  I see a lot of guys using steel conduit under their sleds for dragging them across the ice and snow.  How does it work in real light fluffy snow?  Up until recently I've been thinking of getting an old pair of water skis and using those but now I'm starting to wonder what would be better.  Any suggestions?
Dan

Offline fingerlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If It Smells Good---> EAT IT !! !!
Re: Conduit or Water Skis
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:27 PM »
I would think the conduit would be much better.  Skiis would be better than nothing but I think most would recomend conduit!!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I made conduit runners for my fishtrap pro and my jet sled.  This winter we had a lot of snow and slush between the snow and the ice.  It was still hard to pull in those conditions.  Later in the winter when the slush froze and I was just pulling through snow it pulled good.  I will post some pictures later on.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:55 PM »
On ice, conduit is better. In snow more than a couple inches deep, a set of down hill or x-country skis would be better. Attach conduit to the bottom of the skis and you have the best of both worlds. Water skis are too wide unless you your hauling a ton of weight. If you use the water skis, use two pieces of conduit. One on each side. You want as little surface area for friction as possible. Conduit on snow sinks in the snow and will plow on the front edges, but on ice, very little surface area contacting the ice. Ski's have more surface area, but will sit on top of the snow and won't plow.

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:04 PM »
Down hill ski's worked great for me. Glides over ice and snow no matter how deep!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I cannot take credit for coming up with this setup.  This was posted on this site a couple years ago.  I just copy-cat it. I thought some might be interested that never saw that post.  I made these runners so that the shanty and jet sled are about 8 inches above the ice.  It worked real good for pulling through snow.  It didn't work all that great for pulling through the snow and 4 inches of slush that we had early in the ice season.  It pulled a lot better with the runners than no runners at all.  Hardly adds any weight to the set up.

Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2009, 05:12 AM »
You guys GOTTA be walkin! A coffee table and a coupla' hammock frames!

My first shanty was over a pair of large downhill skis. Worked great! But I need/want to make something for my Otter toboggan for next season because I don't want to drill into it to put the HiFax kits. That conduit looks ok, but I think I'll support the sides rather than just the front and back, then put skis under that.

Snow skis are better than water skis to trailer because they can stay in a straight line better due to their the sharper edge (like Carbides).

When you're headed down the glass lake on your snomobile and the passenger on the pack sled is looking at you real skeered like,, as he's off to your side,, like he's trying to overtake you and there just happens to be a sno-mogul ahead... And you can't slow down. Even if you could, all it would do is whip him out around even more...  :o
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2009, 05:57 AM »
You guys GOTTA be walkin! A coffee table and a coupla' hammock frames!

My first shanty was over a pair of large downhill skis. Worked great! But I need/want to make something for my Otter toboggan for next season because I don't want to drill into it to put the HiFax kits. That conduit looks ok, but I think I'll support the sides rather than just the front and back, then put skis under that.

Snow skis are better than water skis to trailer because they can stay in a straight line better due to their the sharper edge (like Carbides).

When you're headed down the glass lake on your snomobile and the passenger on the pack sled is looking at you real skeered like,, as he's off to your side,, like he's trying to overtake you and there just happens to be a sno-mogul ahead... And you can't slow down. Even if you could, all it would do is whip him out around even more...  :o
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :clap:
You "paint" a very funny (but realistic) picture. 
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2009, 10:17 AM »
has anyone tried 3 inch pvc pipe for skis? its wide and lite.  my wife thought of that idea....

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2009, 10:24 AM »
has anyone tried 3 inch pvc pipe for skis? its wide and lite.  my wife thought of that idea....

I have thought about it, But never tried it...  should work good providing it doesn't get too cold and crack.   

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:25 PM »
Tried the scheduale 40 pvc. The edges on the elbows dig in and create a ton of drag on snow. whears out pretty fast too.

Offline Tailgunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:41 PM »
PVC will and does shatter in cold temps.....Don't waste your time or money with that idea....

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Yup ,save the PVC for making rodholders.

Offline danakaiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2009, 04:13 PM »
thank you i just went to a local flea market on the way to gander mountain and bought 2 pair of cross country skis for 2 bucks a pair....   perfect timing i would say

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:16 AM »
I have removeable water skis on my Clam.

Ski Skins on my slead.

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2009, 01:29 AM »
,,,,,and bought 2 pair of cross country skis for 2 bucks a pair....   perfect timing i would say
I snagged up two pair of skinny skis for free last week, one pair is on my new shed, pics after it's painted. FREE. Can't say enough about karma, or timing!  Now it's time for some ice to happen.
Thread killer

DennyB

« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2009, 08:14 AM »

Heres mine with removeable home made skis. I Used 1/4" plywood and steam bent the ends.  They worked well until I hit a pressure ridges on Saginaw Bay.  Back to the drawing board I go. ;D

Offline Walleye64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:05 PM »
IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/2l949pj.jpg[/IMG]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.