Author Topic: Indoor/Outdoor carpet for floor of hut  (Read 1067 times)

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
Indoor/Outdoor carpet for floor of hut
« on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:35 AM »
Anybody do this?  I'm thinking it may stick to the ice on a cold day.  I may need to spray the bottom of the carpet w/ PAM.  Any other ideas?

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Indoor/Outdoor carpet for floor of hut
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009, 06:47 AM »
I dont think pam would be a good idea.

We used to use the indoor/outdoor carpet on the deck of the lobster boat.
it was good when it froze to the deck because it didnt slide around.
At the end of the day just add water and it comes right up ;D
james

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:35 AM »
There are many who do this in their permanents , including me. But I use short pan head screws to hold it down & keep it from sliding around. Then, in the off season, you pull the screws, take it out, powerwash it to clean & then hang up & let dry. Then roll up, store in the shack, & re-install the next season. It'll last quite a long time, except for wer & tear, or burns from smokes or dropped ashes, etc...
I am making a new shack this year, a bit larger than my last one, & will use indoor/outdoor carpet again in the new shack.
But , using it out on the snow/ice & not fastened to your shack?
 I see people use pieces of carpet to keep their feet off the ice , but not necessarily indoor/outdoor, just remnants of regular carpet..

To keep it from freezing,Pam is not the answer...Probably make it slide around. Maybe thread some short screws thru the piece so that they "grip" the ice might work...

any one else?
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline jeffmonument

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:48 PM »
There are many who do this in their permanents , including me. But I use short pan head screws to hold it down & keep it from sliding around. Then, in the off season, you pull the screws, take it out, powerwash it to clean & then hang up & let dry. Then roll up, store in the shack, & re-install the next season. It'll last quite a long time, except for wer & tear, or burns from smokes or dropped ashes, etc...
I am making a new shack this year, a bit larger than my last one, & will use indoor/outdoor carpet again in the new shack.
But , using it out on the snow/ice & not fastened to your shack?
 I see people use pieces of carpet to keep their feet off the ice , but not necessarily indoor/outdoor, just remnants of regular carpet..

To keep it from freezing,Pam is not the answer...Probably make it slide around. Maybe thread some short screws thru the piece so that they "grip" the ice might work...

any one else?
Here in CO we have to have portable huts(no overnight parkng, lol) I'd like to add the carpet to my Ice Cube, just afraid it could really stick to the ice on a cold day.  Maybe i should use the screws w/PAM????

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 07:48 PM »
My shanty doesn't have a floor either, yet. I used those 2 X 2 square rubber mats. The ones that interlock together. Just need something to get my feet off the ice. The heater in the shanty keeps them from freezing to the ice and they're small enough to move when you get up so it doesn't slide out from under you. A five pack is like 15 bucks at Lowes or Home Depot. I will probably use them on the floor when I make it, nice and quiet. They're made of hard foam/soft rubber, so they're easy to clean too. I had them on the basement floor in front of the work benches and figured they would work well.

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:32 AM »
I bought a $7 rug from Walmart and put it on the ice, then put my Frabil recon on top of it.  It keeps the flip over from moving around and making noise. I leave about a foot of rug in front for my feet. It's a regular rug and never had a problem with it sticking to the ice. I don't spray it. The rug is about the same size as the bottom of the flip over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.