Author Topic: Snagging Saltwater smelt  (Read 958 times)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snagging Saltwater smelt
« on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:33 PM »
I was reading on the ME board that some people snag smelt when the ice goes out.
Do you guys think this is legal in NH ?
james

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
Re: Snagging Saltwater smelt
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2009, 04:40 PM »
Seeing you need a fresh water license to smelting,I guess you have to follow the rules that come under the Snagging, Snatching or Lifting in the fresh water rule book.  :o
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:07 PM »
i'm going with not legal !!as thumber pointed out..but i'm curious though james ???

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2009, 05:15 PM »
Did you know you can't fish for them from a boat with a motor in NH.
I was curious as to fishing them in open water as the bite usually picks up as the ice was going out. The guy at S&S said their meat turns soft around the second week in March and their table fare goes down big time (I'm assuming local SW smelt only). First I had ever heard of anything like that before. Can't confirm or deny his statement but figured I'd pass it on for anyone thinking about trying for them. Give them a call they may be able to elaborate on the statement further.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2009, 08:09 PM »
CaptSpike, i never heard that about the boat and motor.

The Smelt do get soft this time of year but that never stopped guys like my father from dipping them years ago.

The only reason i asked if this is legal was because i have never heard of this method before.

james

Offline jigginfool55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:47 PM »
I've never heard of snagging them! but i've fished them before the ice comes in from bridges and shore with  telescopic 10-12-14 and 16 foot poles that have small reels in the butt of the pole and the line goes through the center of the hollow center. I would imagine that you could do the same after the ice goes out if you can find a place to stand! I never heard of the smelts going soft either but maybe after they do their spawning thing they get beat up like ocean run salmon when they spawn? Going to cooks corner tomorrow(Friday March 27)for one last shot  see you all later

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.