The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Holter  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
Holter
« on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Have taken the kids out to Holter the last two weekends and done well with the rainbows.  Ice is hloding up for the most part although there is some open water starting to show in the middle of the reservoir and pulling away from shore in a couple spots.  The main public access sites are all accessible though.  We have been fishing in about 15 feet of water maybe 50 feet from shore.  Fishing about 8 ft down with a variety of jigs and maggots - green seems to be working best with black doing ok too.  With this cold weather it should hold up for another weekend I would think.  Two weekends ago we also got a half dozen perch in 35 feet of water, but didn't try this last weekend. 

Offline fishforfood72

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Holter
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:00 PM »
just curious on the best way to fish holter which direction would be a good starting point here alot about departure point
and cotton wood creek where would you find those location in reference with lake anything thanks!
(PATHFINDER)

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2009, 09:20 AM »
I-15 to Wolf Creek exit and then follow signs to lake.  There are three main public access sites to the lake - Holter Lake Campground, Log Gulch, and Departure Point - the main road takes you by all three.  I have only fished Holter through the ice 2 times (the last two weekends) and there have been people fishing at all three access sites.  We chose Departure Point both weekends.  Cottonwood Creek is a lengthy walk or 4-wheeler ride from Departure Point.  From my limited experience, you don't have to walk across the lake or anything to find fish - for trout just set up close to shore in 15 feet of water and for perch go out to deeper water 35-50 feet.  Use your intuition and you will be fine.  Talked to the fella doing the creel census work and he basically said any dummy can go there and catch a pile of trout - I proved him right :)  He said it really didn't matter which access you used - they are catching fish all along there.  Hope that helps.  I would be leary of taking a 4-wheeler out there now with some open water starting to show up.  Good luck!

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009, 01:00 PM »
Griztrax is spot on. Any of those three accesses will put you into fish. 10-20 ft for trout and 35-45ft for perch. The spot i've been goin has a pretty bad shore now so i may have to try out departure point this weekend. So the ice on shore is good there you say griztrax?

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:26 PM »
Griztrax is spot on. Any of those three accesses will put you into fish. 10-20 ft for trout and 35-45ft for perch. The spot i've been goin has a pretty bad shore now so i may have to try out departure point this weekend. So the ice on shore is good there you say griztrax?

As of Saturday morning, the shore ice was in good condition at Departure - not pulling away at all.  I would think with this below zero nonsense, it should be good this weekend as well.  My kids are begging me to go again this coming weekend.  We don't keep the trout, but the kids love catching them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.