The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New #2 All-time Vermont Pike  (Read 11674 times)

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
New #2 All-time Vermont Pike
« on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:07 PM »
I happen to be the fishing partner of the kid that caught the second largest pike ever caught in the state of Vermont on March 7, 2009.  28.84 pounds on bait from Steve's Bait Shop in Hartland.  Absolute pig, and they do still exist, just gotta know where to get 'em.
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline vtpoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: New #2 All-time Vermont Pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:39 PM »
would like to see some pics of the pig. didn't catch any big ones this year. the winning pike at a tournament in carry bay this year was 33.5" biggest i ever caught was 42" out of Bristol pond about 19 years ago fishing in the summer. with a sunfish spinner bait. never thought it would catch anything. first cast as soon as it hit the water. the fight was on. no leader 12lb test. took forever to get in the boat or so it seemed.

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 04:08 PM »
There will definitely be a picture or two on here.  The fish is already at the taxidermist, but not before about a hundred and fifty pictures were taken.  I was just the wingman on this one, but I am just as excited as if I caught the fish.  I am sure my buddy will be on here to talk about it at some point, but tonight's number one priority is to celebrate.

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009, 05:47 PM »
  That is a monster. Can't wait to see the pics.
  Congrats to all ........... ;D ;D ;D
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline VT snotrocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God, Guns and Guts made America free!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:04 PM »
This is good news! I had a real bad winter as far as BIG pike goes. The biggest one out of my shanty this year was 15 lber. We never caught one over 20 lbs. We usually tangle with a few big ones, but not this year. Post some pics and make your fellow Vermonsters proud!  Vt snotrocket
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.    Winston Churchill

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Is that fish from Champlain?

Offline pursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:15 PM »
 Holy $%&#ing cow that is a monster. Great job, thats gonna be a beautiful mount......congrats ;D ;D ;D ;D
And God said "let there be FISH"

Offline northern nightmare

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When hell freezes over i'll ice fish there too.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:05 AM »
my hat is off to you. Most of us will fish f our whole life and never get a fish like that. I can't imagine landing that beauty. I have 2 northerns on my living room wall and every time im in that room i can't help but admire how awesome northerns are. Congrats

Offline bluebomber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:52 AM »
second one in 2 weeks over 20lb from the same lake isnt it:):)

Offline Augen4Hawgs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE MAN FOREVER !
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2009, 12:11 AM »
my guess would be Glenn lake, their are monsters like that in their! I heard of one being taken over 28lbs sat and one a couple weeks ago 25 1/2 lbs.But there are plenty of lakes with big pike. hard part is catching them! Nice pic that is a dandy!!! ;) :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline nekpike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • NEK Derby 2nd year Lunker pool winner.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2009, 04:44 AM »
That is a nice fish. Congrats! Too bad for the guys that put endless hours in where that was caught. I was called about that fish immediatly after and then later by ppl who live 70 miles away.Now that word is out ppl will be all over there. Ppl find out you shoot a big buck on a mountain. Others will hunt the hell out of it! I guess thats life. Still what a hog!

Offline gotpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2009, 04:51 AM »
I think luck plays a good part. Even more then knowing where to fish em. I heard it was his 1st time fishing that place. But congrats! There fat and unpredictable now!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2009, 05:27 AM »
You have to have luck in everything you do, some good some bad.I don't believe it was their first time on the lake.As for the people flocking to the lake, it will happen but they won't stay very long.people fish to catch fish most of the time and that place is slow most of the time and will drive them away in a hurry.For the guys that fish it hard, it just wasn't their day.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline slopoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:03 AM »
sweet pike ;D that things huge :o :o congrats :tipup:
its easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission... FISH ON!!!

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:52 AM »
i can guarantee you that wasn't our first time on the lake, and although luck is certainly part of it, we had fished our butts off all year trying to get a fish like that.  we have fished every last corner of the state, it just happened to be our day.  now is the time when the people who just try and jump in on the fun will show up, which is a shame for those who do really try to find em.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:32 AM »
nice fish! congrats to you on your catch!  dbd :tipup:
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I heard about this fish while in Brattleboro on Sunday.... I'm glad I got to see the pic, it's hard to conceptualize a fish that large. Congrats to the angler, and to all fisherman who understand since we live in a free society (thank God), all public lakes are open to the public. What an impressive pike....
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline whipplebuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:05 PM »
i can guarantee you that wasn't our first time on the lake, and although luck is certainly part of it, we had fished our butts off all year trying to get a fish like that.  we have fished every last corner of the state, it just happened to be our day.  now is the time when the people who just try and jump in on the fun will show up, which is a shame for those who do really try to find em.

congratulations ,  I would assume it will hang on a wall some day if so,  ask the taxidermist to remove the wall side gill plate and get it to Shawn Good for the Pike research  I do taxidermy work so I know this can be removed on the non-show side and this would be real important to him..  again congratulations glad your hard work payed off.
OUR BAIT IS GAURENTEED TO CATCH FISH OR DIE TRYING :-)

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:43 PM »
congrats on that fish its beautiful and i know what you guys mean by the guys that dont put in any effort finding the fish i drive 3 hours up to champlain looking for the pike drill countless holes and during the summer boat around different places and was up till 4 in the morn putting together enough tip ups to fish up there again hope all you guys are doing good  :tipup:

catch pike like its my job

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:14 PM »
Great pike! I would be thrilled with something half that size! How long did it take to bring it to the hole?

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:56 PM »
it was around 15 min to get it in. it went down into the weeds and i thought i was hung up on a tree. Then i pulled in about 20 pounds of weeds and realized there was still a fish on it. After clearing all the weeds off the line i pulled it up. Didnt even need to gaff it.

Offline sethab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 09, 2009, 11:32 PM »
that's a beauty. and as far as being lucky, you have to know how to put yourself in the right situation to be able to get lucky. not just anyone is going to hook into a fish like that and land it . I think we can tell you fellas know what you were doing. winning the lottery is luck. catching a big fish like that takes alot of skill and effort. Think long and hard about this boys, over 30 years no one has caught a fish like that. But you guys did great job.

Offline Loadwoad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Rainstorm.....Out of beer out of here.
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Congrats on the pike man.  How long in inches was it? I got one mounted last year.  Expensive but well worth the money man you will have the memories and the proof for the rest of your life.  I hope it was glen lake

Offline I walk on water!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2009, 07:00 PM »
ilove all these pics of huge pike ;D nice job ill tip my tip up to ya :tipup:

Offline sethab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2009, 10:52 PM »
not sure who's doing your mount or if it is there yet but there is a guy in middletown springs Eric Ericksen he is originally from alaska and just started his business up here i have seen some of his work and it looks great he is doing a 25 lbs pike right now for me. at $9.00 an inch i don't think you'll beat him. And like i said his work looks great.

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
Thanks for the info but its a little to late. I already dropped it off else where. It was 46 inches. But well worth paying the money to have it done.  :tipup:

Offline finlessbrown

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:48 AM »
how  big is the state record all the info i find says it is just over 25 lbs....and that was last updated this summer

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:52 AM »
30lbs 8 oz in 1977.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Get that pic back up, we all are looking for inspiration for the coming season. Taggin, your pike is bigger than the NH state record caught at Moore Reservior in 2002, I believe that fish was 45" long. Super job hunting em and then puttin em on the ice. Kudos!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.