New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: 40lb. northern!  (Read 4932 times)

Offline hamilton county new york

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 40lb. northern!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2009, 12:07 PM »
We have a local paper here in Hamilton County that never gets anything right.  The people jokingly tell the story of submitting all information three weeks ahead so the paper has plenty of time to misspell names and change the date or time.
Well, the pike story is on page three.  And now it weighs 35 pounds...it is starting to lose weight!
And one of our local basketball teams is in the sectionals after winning their Feb 28th game the next playoff game is scheduled at Plattsburgh State University for May 3rd.  Anybody want to go, I'm selling real cheap tickets!?

Offline Adkmtng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:13 AM »
Hey all. Just saw this post on the pike. I am Abe Gadway that was with Randy. I want to clarify a little on this story. It was not Randy's first pike. He caught his first 3 days prior and it was 22". Like the rest of us he was average 15-20 pike a day so he had the hang of it quickly. When this flag was tripped the fish was swimming back to the hole so it made reeling it in real easy. There was no fight until it had gone past the whole and only took another 10 minutes to get through the hole. The leader snapped just as the gills cleared the hole and if it weren't for the gills getting caught on the edge it would have gone back down the hole. We first weighed the fish on a 25lb digital scale and it ERRORED out for being over 25. We got 27lbs on a hanging spring scale for deer. When Randy submitted pictures and the story he said nearly 30lbs. Overall the fish was 45" long and had a 22 1/2" girth. Randy is 6'6" and I am 6'5" for size comparison since it is being held vertically. I am going to try to attach more photos with it horizontal as well as his first fish.

Offline Adkmtng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:30 AM »
Also since this fish has been caught we have caught a few more over 40". A 44" in February of 2013 and a 42" the previous year in 2012. And up until this picture and article was posted we hardly ever saw anyone else out in front of the camp. Randy did catch a lot of grief after this article was posted since a lot more folks started fishing Long Lake the weekend after. I think the numbers of fisherman have dropped back again to what it was before. February 2009 was the best month we had for pike out of Long Lake. Of course with 10-15 guys fishing together we had a pretty good chunk of the lake covered.

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:18 AM »
I know Abe, and saw pictures of the pike, awesome fish.  Was in the mid to upper 20 lb. range.  There is a picture of a 45 inch 21 lb. pike that was caught at Mayfield Lake a couple of weeks ago in the Hamilton County News.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2013, 07:21 AM »
http://www.everydayweekender.com/56-inch-55-pound-mammoth-pike-caught-on-rainy-lake-in-ontario/

That's the same old picture from the last 5 years. That one and most of the other ones are Europeon Pike typically caught (some not even by rod/reel) in Russia...   

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2013, 08:39 AM »
this northern was 41" and 15lb's.

This one was 43" and 19lbs 12oz's.

this one was 38" and 10lbs 2oz's

These fish are all weighed on a very good digital Rapala scale. I weigh them a few times to make sure the number is always the same. You can use these pictures for comparison sake.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Nice Pike Bro!  Beautiful colors, congrats!

MK

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I'm jealous
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 27, 2013, 04:09 PM »
http://www.everydayweekender.com/56-inch-55-pound-mammoth-pike-caught-on-rainy-lake-in-ontario/
Man, don't tell me this one is starting to make the rounds again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every couple years this one pops up!!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.