Author Topic: Jigging with lite jigs  (Read 9941 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Jigging with lite jigs
« on: Mar 02, 2009, 08:53 AM »
I was jigging with some lite pills this past weekend, and was having a problem with my line coiling up through the water column.  How do you all handle this?  I couldn't feel the bites with all that slack in the line.  I was in about 20-30 feet of water, using 4 pound floro, and ice flies/pills.

Thanks

kb

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Jigging with lite jigs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:27 AM »
Kb,
  I do not know if this will totally solve or problem. Try placing a spilt shot or shots at intervals above the jig . I would place the first spilt shot six inches or less from the jig to help prevent line tangle.(jig getting caught up in line)
   Your jig will also sink faster with this method which will get it back down to the fish faster. You can also try jigs made from tungsten (dense metal/heavy for size)Fish 307 in Lake George,NY. sells a couple of different tungsten ice flies or try this website they sell Fiskas tungsten jigs. I hope this is of some help to you.
 Steve            Here is a hyperlink to the websitewww.yourbobbersdown.com

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Hey Mr Clean,

I have a jigg rod with a small split above it. The deeper I go the closer I move it to the jig. Catch fish with it so, it does work.

Mr C... is there a thread from your get together?
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Is tungsten heavier then lead?

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Loosen your drag and hand pull your line to start with,no more coils,also keep your spool full less coiling.I always keep my drag loose,and pull my line out to the desired depth,eliminates coils,never use shot,because I think it kills the action of my jigs.I fish a lot of 20 fow, with the Gill pill and Ratso's.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:53 AM »
Change your line to a low memory line....But if your out on the ice Captain54's method helps too.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:54 AM »
I was doing just that, but still had plenty of coils.  What line has the least memory?  I've heard of the split shot reducing the action/sensitivity of the jigs and line.

kb

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:56 AM »
A trick I use..after spooling the reel, tie the end to something solid. Then back off 50yds. or so and then apply gentle pressure to your line. In other words, stretch your line some. Then while reeling the line back in, do it under tension, but not so much that it is overly tight on the spool. I have found this helps minimize the coiling.
As has also been suggested, add a shot or two or use tungsten jigs. I have found that if you go to a fly fishing shop, they have some very, very small soft splitshot for use when fly fishing. These shot come in uber small sizes and I have found they work great for adding weight without affecting a jigs action.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Good advice 8)

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Bump line test down to 2#-- I'd think 4# fluoro. would be too much for micro jigs
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2009, 11:04 AM »
What brand of 2# coils less?

I always straighten my leaders out on my tipups that way, but doing that to my jigging rods is a pain.  (I flyfish, and thats how I straighten my leaders out on them too).

Offline ducky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:52 PM »
try using a ball bearing swivel about 14'16 inches above your jig and then put your split shot just above that.  It seems to reduce the coil up in the Berkely vanish that I use, and oh yeah, always straighten out that leader portion.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:15 PM »
If your intent on sticking with mono type lines use yozuri-ulta soft #4 and treat it with KVD line conditioner. This will give you little or no memory. Personaly I use #8 lb. power pro braid main line, then a small barrel swivel (#12 or #14) and about 18" leader of #2 or #4 yozuri ultra soft. This has a totally no memory and ultra sensitive line set up for ice fishing.
   good fishin'
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 02, 2009, 09:36 PM »
Do you use that same set up when not in the heated shack?

On the mono you can peel off the ice... not so well with the braid.

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:26 AM »
I really think if you stick with the micro jigs go down to 2 lb test line. If you need to stick to 4 lb for whatever reason get one of the leader pads sold at a fly shop for straightening coiled leaders. Take your line while on the ice attach it to something heavy walk back 40 ft pull hard and the run the line back in using the pad to run the line through this will take out the coils. Also get some of that line spray that helps eleminate memory. Adding more weight robs the action of micro jigs. Also cheap lines have tons of memory go with a softer line to start.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:49 AM »
Loosen your drag and hand pull your line to start with,no more coils,also keep your spool full less coiling.I always keep my drag loose,and pull my line out to the desired depth,eliminates coils,never use shot,because I think it kills the action of my jigs.I fish a lot of 20 fow, with the Gill pill and Ratso's.
This is exactly what I do to take out coil. Start by pulling by the jig itself. Serves double duty. Checks knot strength AND takes out coil at the same time.  On the really lite jigs, I sometimes put a small swedish pimple body a foot above the jig. Sorta like a Hali Rig. Adds some flash for attractant too. 8)
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:52 AM »
I was jigging with some lite pills this past weekend, and was having a problem with my line coiling up through the water column.  How do you all handle this?  I couldn't feel the bites with all that slack in the line.  I was in about 20-30 feet of water, using 4 pound floro, and ice flies/pills.

Thanks

kb

first thing get rid of the fluro  you don't need it  it has the most memory  of the mono type lines  and if your fishing for pannies just lower the pound test also . you'll be suprised

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2009, 04:54 AM »
i tried using a split shot about 5 to 6 inches above jig yesterday. It worked great but the one problem i had was i could watch on camera and the fish kept taking the spilt shot

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2009, 06:57 AM »
OK, I'll lower my poundage to 2#, but I need some low memory line suggestions. 

kb

Offline pa.bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:14 AM »
i tie a pimple on the bottom and about 3 inches above tie on a dropper a small lite jig. works good for me and they take the pimple too. you can bounce the pimple on the bottom to stir up the silt :tipup:
got ice?

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Just picked up some Trilene.  I'll give it a try

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:08 PM »
fish kept taking the spilt shot

DOH :%$#!:

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2009, 01:24 PM »
Use 2 jigs. Acts like you added a sinker. good luck
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline IceBrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Is tungsten heavier then lead?
pretty sure tungsten is not heavier than lead

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:46 PM »
pretty sure tungsten is not heavier than lead

Tungsten is approximately twice as dense as lead in their pure forms.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:14 PM »
Tungsten is approximately twice as dense as lead in their pure forms.

Very true

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 07, 2009, 07:40 AM »
Just picked up some Trilene.  I'll give it a try

If you got the Trilene XL 2lb you're good to go. I've used it for many years without a problem. Don't be afraid to go to 1lb line. With a good drag you'd be surprised with the size of the fish you can land.

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Change your line to a low memory line....But if your out on the ice Captain54's method helps too.
You also may wanna change your line every few months

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2009, 12:15 AM »
Adding a swivel to your line can put weight on it as well as take out line spin.  You can always double up jigs, maybe even triple.  Adding a spoon or a blade to your line can put weight and serve as an attractor.  All of this does change the jig action.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2009, 08:29 AM »
I never add any weight or put anything between the jig and the rod. If your jig isn't heavy enough you have two choices IMO. 1) Use lighter line 2) use a heavier jig. For tiny jigs use a tungsten jig and no heavier than 1.5lb line. A lot of the jigs on the market are not near heavy enough and the CJ&S gill pill is one of many examples.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.