The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: The Maine Sportsman  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Maine Sportsman
« on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:35 PM »
Has anyone checked out the March issue of The Maine Sportsman. There is a opinion poll with 39 yes or no questions. Here are a few that caught my eye.

Should The Deer Hunting season be push back a week in the southern part of the state?

Should commercial fishing be allowed for invasive species such as northern pike and yellow fish?

Should a person without a hunting or fishing license be required to pay the cost of any rescue efforts?

Should the owners of land with conservation easements be required to post notice of the public's right of access?

Should tagging stations be replaced with a system of tagging by telephone/ internet?

Offline robbfishing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: The Maine Sportsman
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:38 PM »
yup saw that as well ;) very interesting :unsure:

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Yep im sure everyone would register there deer moose etc on the computer when they got home im sure they would get an accurate count ;D

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Yep im sure everyone would register there deer moose etc on the computer when they got home im sure they would get an accurate count ;D
Aint got to worry about that up here, there are very few deer last fall,and im sure what was left,aint going to fare good in all this snow. So, because the state wont close the season, there is no deer to have to tag/report. simple,,,but very sad :'( :'(

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Aint got to worry about that up here, there are very few deer last fall,and im sure what was left,aint going to fare good in all this snow. So, because the state wont close the season, there is no deer to have to tag/report. simple,,,but very sad :'( :'(
I agree in part but the question I have is how much of a impact did hunting have on that area? I understand that the herd is in tough shape but I would think that snow/winter kill and coyotes are to blame for 90% of the blame. I agree that the state may want to look at closing hunting in some areas but only and only if they are willing to grow a set of %$##$ and allow the snaring of coyotes in deer yards. Whats odd is there reasoning. Lynx. Fine ,except that the population is doing well in some areas and 10X as many are getting killed by cars then by traps. So why not ban autos in some areas? Not practical I know just like using the Lynx as a tool to ban the most affective coyote controlling tool there is available. And I would like to hear the debate suggests that coyotes are not a invasive species, they were never here before the 70's.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I think that they need to start having an overall lottery for deer like the moose system. If you want to hunt a buck you will need to draw a tag. Also they should include bonus draws in the lottery for each coyote that you kill. That would give people some insentive to kill those maingy critters and not just sit around complain there is no deer. 

Offline Ice Time

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Didn't Plum Creek just get caught cutting another deer yard up by Moosehead ??? >:( ???

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Didn't Plum Creek just get caught cutting another deer yard up by Moosehead ??? >:( ???
OH great that will help :wacko: :sick:
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:44 PM »
yup saw that as well ;) very interesting :unsure:

quote]I think some of these could get real interesting if they go thru. Like people without a hunting or fishing license be required to pay the cost of any rescue efforts or People we land with conservation easements be required to post notice of the public's right of access?

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I hate to drag this away from fishing,so i think the fishing should be handled the same way.... If a lake is fished hard and the trout/salmon are scarce,why not just close it for a season? Why do we continue to support this put/take fishery?Just put my kevlar racing suit on,so flame away ;D

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2009, 08:19 PM »
To tell you the truth I think I think it is all political bullsh!T.   

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:00 PM »
I think who ever wrote the poll prob took our statements off of here   kinda cut and pasted em    as we have disscussed flamed  P&Med about all those questions   lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2009, 10:04 PM »
should commercial fishing be allowed for invasive species such as northern pike and yellow fish?
[/quote

I can see pike in hannafords wouldnt that be funny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.