Author Topic: Tri county  (Read 3033 times)

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
Tri county
« on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Has anyone been to any of the tri county lakes or ponds lately? Thinking about trying this Friday

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tri county
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:58 PM »
Fished Hammond Lake about 3 weeks ago and caught a big fat zero!  Marked a few fish in about 20 FOW, but they were tight lipped.  I fished it once last year and caught 1 Crappie and 1 Warmouth.  Don't understand what it is about that lake and the hard water.  I catch Crappie and Bluegill in the summer there with some regularity.  Nothing real big, but some decent action.

Offline jakjkl

• IceShanty Rookie
  • do I have something in my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:45 PM »
I read somewhere, that some guy said he went out and there was dead fish all over in and under the ice, like a fish kill. He didnt say wich pond, just that he was fishing tri county. Ive been told shock has been very productive this year.

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:41 PM »
I wondered too if maybe it was Hammond?? That lake is deep enough though you would think.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:09 AM »
I am going to check it out this week-end.  It wasnt safe last Saturday.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:44 AM »
with the warm temps and rain all day yesterday, I can not believe you would even risk trying, and now to top it all a little snow enough to cover places that are rotten. And trust me there are places that are rotten in the lakes around here. If you do try to force your luck wear a life vest, do not go alone repeat dont go alone, take a spud bar and drill to check ice thickness and shape of ice,shaved ice ok chunks of ice baddddd, have ice picks, and at least 50 feet of good rope. dont be another stat that we will read and hear about on the news, and have to post condolesneces on this site about how sorry we are to hear what happened. Guys think before you step. Is it worth it????????????????????????????????????

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Fished Hammond Lake about 3 weeks ago and caught a big fat zero!  Marked a few fish in about 20 FOW, but they were tight lipped.  I fished it once last year and caught 1 Crappie and 1 Warmouth.  Don't understand what it is about that lake and the hard water.  I catch Crappie and Bluegill in the summer there with some regularity.  Nothing real big, but some decent action.

I had 27 there in mid Jan.And was there 3 weeks and got 0 in 8 to 18 fow. mark them but they were tight lipped.Went to barrel half and got 3 later. My fishing pardner told me a guy he works with dad was on spear Tuesday and did good,I was just wondering if any one else has been out there in the last week. Thanks

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:39 AM »
with the warm temps and rain all day yesterday, I can not believe you would even risk trying, and now to top it all a little snow enough to cover places that are rotten. And trust me there are places that are rotten in the lakes around here. If you do try to force your luck wear a life vest, do not go alone repeat don't go alone, take a spud bar and drill to check ice thickness and shape of ice,shaved ice ok chunks of ice baddddd, have ice picks, and at least 50 feet of good rope. dont be another stat that we will read and hear about on the news, and have to post condolesneces on this site about how sorry we are to hear what happened. Guys think before you step. Is it worth it????????????????????????????????????
I won't go alone and have and will use caution. I will go only if others are on the ice also.Will fish spear lake it has the best access without walking threw reeds like Hammond and barrel and a half.Thanks for your concern.If its not safe will have open water poles to fish Webster channel.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2009, 10:27 AM »
Not being a smart--- Jim just dont want to see anyone get hurt, wet or even worse. I have went on iffy ice before so Im not saying I havent just be careful is all I ment.

dave

Offline waterfowler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:49 PM »
one thing i know just because there is guys out on the ice doesnt always make it safe! There has been guys out on the ice before and i thought hey it must be ok i walked all the way out and there was maybe 2 in of ice and it was cracking all around me trust me there is allot of idiots out there that will risk their lives over some stupid fish. Dont always think it is safe just because others are out there.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:33 PM »
I was at shock lake last thursday and it was a no go.   Just went to check, open water 5ft from launch.  Ice looked real dark and honeycombed.   Fished hammond about a month ago  Caught a few warmouth and nothin else.   

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:41 PM »
I was at shock lake last thursday and it was a no go.   Just went to check, open water 5ft from launch.  Ice looked real dark and honeycombed.   Fished hammond about a month ago  Caught a few warmouth and nothin else.   
I will look at it Friday or Sat and make up my mind then.If thrers doubt I wont go out.Will find open water to fish if its not safe.Thanks for your advice

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2009, 09:13 PM »
Let us know what you find.  Been wondering about that place myself.

Offline herefishyfishy58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:13 AM »
Be very careful. I went swimin a few years back and my wife was MAD!!!!!!!! If I go through again I better drown or she'll kill me.

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:19 AM »
Let us know what you find.  Been wondering about that place myself.

I'm going to wait till Sat.Give it some time to get tighten up.With the low front coming in and snow fishing should be better. Will post how it went if the ice is safe.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2009, 04:28 PM »
This "rookie" was up there this afternoon.  Not safe gents.......at least for me and that's saying something!

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:20 PM »
If you want fishable ice you better go north of US 20 at a minimum.  Lakes by Angola and many in lower Michigan have people out fishing on them.   I have not been out, but am going tomorrow where guys have been fishing and reporting 7-8 inches of good ice.  One of they guys has been fishing longer than I have been alive, so he knows good and bad ice.  Tomorrow I will check for myself how 'good' the ice is. 

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:38 PM »
This "rookie" was up there this afternoon.  Not safe gents.......at least for me and that's saying something!
what lake was you at.Spear was the lake I was going to try

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:19 AM »

Offline PlymouthJim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:59 PM »
TRI COUNTY REPORT"

Went to several of the lakes and could not get on.Spear lake you could get on from the launch.Went out and found no more than 4" of ice 50' of launch.Called a buddy and he fished it yesterday and said it was 3" every where he went. Headed west to Shoe lake and all north edges were open. Went to Leesburg  and found 6" of clear ice on the gravel pit.First gill almost took the rod out of my hand.9" 5 min later 8" Gil.Fished till 2 and had no more bites.Buddy had 4 Gil's.Wind was brutal when it shifted to the west.Got wet from all the snow so we left because the wind was frezen Us. Marked fish but mostly look and leave like they have done most of this year.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:50 AM »

I was at Barrel and a Half.............not good at the launch......I could see Spear......didn't feel like making the drive around to check it out since I normally fish around the "island" there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.