Author Topic: Looking for a place to take kids for panfish  (Read 1574 times)

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
Looking for a place to take kids for panfish
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Hey Ice anglers hope ice fishing is good for you this winter.  I know that this great website is for ice fishing but thought maybe someone can help me out..

I live in Wyoming and will be in Grand junction and Delta area around the end of June this summer for a few of days to visit some family.  Can anyone tell me some good lakes or ponds that I could take my small kids off the bank to catch some panfish as they are usually fast action.

My kids love to fish for panfish but in Wyoming it is about 4+ hours to the closest lake to fish for some and about 2+ hours in Utah.   We are just looking for a place to fish for perch crappie bluegills bass etc.   We are just looking to catch and release all of our catch.   Any informtion would be greatly appreciated please reply here or send me a private message.  We will probably coming over douglas pass heading to Grand Junction.

Thanks again and good luck ice fishing    :icefish:
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looking for a place to take kids for panfish
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2009, 12:52 PM »
Harvey Gap, just north of Silt (about 1 hr. east of GJ).  Although it's been pretty slow this winter, I've always known it to be great for Crappie in the summer.  The best spot that I've found is in the cove with the waterfall.  Park by the swim beach or by the dam.  Hike across the dam, then on around back to the cove.  I've also seen some monster pike get pulled out of there, as they like to feed on the Crappie.  So, bring your pike gear, too.  Hope this helps!

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:52 PM »
 :)Thanks pleasureseeker for the info I appreciate it.  Crappie for the kids and a possible pike for me sounds good to.  Does this lake have a lot of cover weeds, trees, rocks, or brush in the lake along the shore for cover to fish or is it mostly just open water, and is this lake a shallow or deep lake. 
thanks again and good luck fishin
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline bowhunter428

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Crawford is really good for crappie in the sumer. You may catch a perch, trout or a northern also. But not to hard to catch a hundred plus crappie a afternoon.

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:48 PM »
 :)thanks bowhunter428 for the info I will be checking it out and making a plan looks like I might be down that way for more than a couple of days I hope to hit a few different lakes  I will let you guys know thanks again and good luck fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.