The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Not all are members  (Read 4846 times)

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Not all are members
« on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:27 AM »
I just wanted to say this because of a post I just read. We need to remember that not everyone on the ice is an active member on IS. There will always be lurkers that are on here only for info. without giving any in return but there are LOTS of people that don't even know about IS. We just need to remember that MOST of the guys on here will post decent reports when they go so we should do the same in return. It's not just give or take, it should be give AND take. Just my 2 cents and we know what that's worth these days.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Re: Nat all are members
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:41 AM »
It would be nice if it worked that way. I have run into a handful of people who heard of IS and said they read it but never post. I told them that wasn't it nice that someone took the time to post ice conditions....fish activity and so forth???  When they answered Yes.....I said YOU could do the same.  Make it easier on the next guy. I post everytime I go out.  I'm no Wally Taber and I don't crush the fish but I feel any info I post gotta be helpful to the next guy. Even if its just ice conditions. Was told along time ago.....You only get out of something what you put into it. I read the reports alot and have used alot of the info. Thats why I post even when I don't do good. Which seems to be alot lately....LOL
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 08:55 AM »
I noticed a lack of reports and conditions in the northeast this year, I myself post every time I fish a public lake or body of water. I have noticed however that a lot of members have very few posts on reports and conditions, verses their general chit chat posts. I have also noticed a lot of reports asking for ice conditions for a place, and afterwords never see to many follow up post by that member, reporting on conditions or how the fishing was. Now I do realize that some people don't make it to that lake or something else comes up, but I do see this a lot..... Whats up with that??  ??? ???   Just my .02 for what it's worth....

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:31 AM »
You always get my 2 cents worth & some times more. Yes there are a lot of lurkers on here that want to know where you are catching fish. But they never tell how they did or where they are doing well.I more than anything am always looking for ice conditions.Especially now after the big warm up we had last week or when we get 1st ice.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:36 AM »
My opinion on this, is. Giving fishing reports should be done with disgression, knowing that this is a website that can be viewed by anyone. So, with no disrespect to anyone...Unless you want everyone, and their 100 buddies at your honey-hole, be aware of what you are typing. For instance with myself. I got into talking to a couple of guys on here last month, when me and a couple of my buddies were getting into a good walleye bite at the time. And they naturally asked, where were we getting them? And like I explained to them. "With all respects, where we are getting them, it isn't Lake Erie, and if I told you, how the story goes,...and you tell 2 friends,...and they tell 2 friends,...and so on, your honey-hole isn't a honey-hole anymore." And that could be the posibility of just giving a PM to someone. If you put that out on the forum, for everyone to see?, Could you see the ramifications? I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. But if your into something good, and want to spread it to your friends. Definitely think before you type it onto the forum.

Good Fishin' to Everyone,...SalmonRebel.

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Re: Not all are members
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Seems to me that it's basic human nature to say "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme" and not "Do you need a little help figuring something out?"  Basically it's a lot easier to take what someone is giving out then to give away what a lot people think they earned the hard way and don't want to see overwhelmed with "TAKERS".  

To me the simple solution is to stick mainly to ice safety talk and general patterns for success (or lack thereof if it didn't work out).  Details of spot locations are probably best shared amongst your closest friends that you trust.  Part of the challenge is in putting at least some of the details needed for success.  

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I guess that why the brain trust of this GREAT site invented PM's for.  Cool thing about this site and its active members is some share alot with you. Some not so much. I have had the pleasure of fishing with alot of members in my area. I have learned that PM's are a great tool in communicating with those people. With Ice season being so short...any tip is useful. I pound the ice like the next guy but I appreciate every post and PM I receive. As once said a few years ago....Ask not what Iceshanty can do for you......Ask what you can do for Iceshanty!!!!!!
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009, 10:29 AM »
My opinion on this, is. Giving fishing reports should be done with disgression, knowing that this is a website that can be viewed by anyone. So, with no disrespect to anyone...Unless you want everyone, and their 100 buddies at your honey-hole, be aware of what you are typing. For instance with myself. I got into talking to a couple of guys on here last month, when me and a couple of my buddies were getting into a good walleye bite at the time. And they naturally asked, where were we getting them? And like I explained to them. "With all respects, where we are getting them, it isn't Lake Erie, and if I told you, how the story goes,...and you tell 2 friends,...and they tell 2 friends,...and so on, your honey-hole isn't a honey-hole anymore." And that could be the posibility of just giving a PM to someone. If you put that out on the forum, for everyone to see?, Could you see the ramifications? I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do. But if your into something good, and want to spread it to your friends. Definitely think before you type it onto the forum.

Good Fishin' to Everyone,...SalmonRebel.

Let's be honest if your honey hole is giving up 10" bluegills, 14" perch or 20"+ walleyes, no one in their right mind would give that kind of info out to the general public, I know I wouldn't and I think that kind of info. should be kept private, not to mention what that could do to a fishery. But on the other hand I believe that if your going to use this site to gain general knowledge of ice conditions / fishing conditions it would be nice to give a little back in return. Just a simple post to let the next guy know what he can expect when he gets to the lake.......

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:22 PM »

Let's be honest if your honey hole is giving up 10" bluegills, 14" perch or 20"+ walleyes, no one in their right mind would give that kind of info out to the general public, I know I wouldn't and I think that kind of info. should be kept private, not to mention what that could do to a fishery. But on the other hand I believe that if your going to use this site to gain general knowledge of ice conditions / fishing conditions it would be nice to give a little back in return. Just a simple post to let the next guy what he can expect when he gets to the lake.......

Of course that's true. I wasn't telling anyone what to do. And I didn't say that I wouldn't mention a body of water or tips to anyone at any particular time. But you definitely need to use your head, or you'll be fishing in what will seem to be "downtown", instead of your honey-hole! I for one, love to help someone out, and will whenever givin' the chance, but I'm not going to give out gps coordinances, nor do I expect anyone else to give me them for that matter either.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I am afraid I am one of those people, I post up a good deal of information on ice conditions at the beginning and end but as far as fishing locations or reports.  I used to but I would get a large amount of PM’s from people asking me where, I would tell them how, what to look for, or very general locations.  But that was not enough and many of them got very snippy so I no longer post up results.  I took this or that person out to a good area the next thing I know it is posted up on line by others they fish with.  I have seen some good areas get posted up and just get trashed.  I worked very hard to find good locations and I’m not about to put my G.P.S digits of brush or key structure out there on line.  I have found if you post up results and you can put up quality numbers on a fairly regular basis that equals headaches.  I will shoot a PM or two here and there to a few people.   

Look I’m not trying to be a jerk or to come off as being cocky, if I can help anyone out I am more than will to do so.  If you are looking for advise how to or general locations not a problem.  If you are looking for precise locations it’s just not going to happen and many times that is the difference in hooking fish or not.

Take care and good luck,

Snapper   

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2009, 03:14 PM »
Just an FYI... The reports and conditions areas of all states can only be viewed by members of Iceshanty. Guests can't see the R & C area, they can only see the general area.

I have also noticed a lot of reports asking for ice conditions for a place, and afterwords never see to many follow up post by that member, reporting on conditions or how the fishing was. Now I do realize that some people don't make it to that lake or something else comes up, but I do see this a lot..... Whats up with that??
  I agree. What's up with that?
Ken                                          

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I am afraid I am one of those people, I post up a good deal of information on ice conditions at the beginning and end but as far as fishing locations or reports.  I used to but I would get a large amount of PM’s from people asking me where, I would tell them how, what to look for, or very general locations.  But that was not enough and many of them got very snippy so I no longer post up results.  I took this or that person out to a good area the next thing I know it is posted up on line by others they fish with.  I have seen some good areas get posted up and just get trashed.  I worked very hard to find good locations and I’m not about to put my G.P.S digits of brush or key structure out there on line.  I have found if you post up results and you can put up quality numbers on a fairly regular basis that equals headaches.  I will shoot a PM or two here and there to a few people.   

Look I’m not trying to be a jerk or to come off as being cocky, if I can help anyone out I am more than will to do so.  If you are looking for advise how to or general locations not a problem.  If you are looking for precise locations it’s just not going to happen and many times that is the difference in hooking fish or not.

Take care and good luck,

Snapper   

I know what you mean Snapper. Even thou I've been fishin a private lake recently, I've really had no info that is meaning full to anybody since they can't fish the lake anyway, but in the past I used to post my catches and locations on different lakes and actually had somebody tell me when I got to a perticular spot that they heard of it on the net and fished it two days ago and now this was their new area now, five guys fishin a area that I never saw anybody fish before, they probably would of not even had the patience to if I keep my mouth shut. Theirs a few guys I'll shoot a PM to on here, they know who they are, their was also others in the past who would PM me & like you said would get pretty pi.sy if they did not hear what they wanted. If I fish a public lake late ice, or know ice conditions are iffy I will post ice conditions as to keep anybody safe. :-X
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2009, 03:53 AM »
I come to this site most likely for the same reasons many others do,to see where the most popular places to fish are or to find a new spot to try out,as far as guys giving up info on there hot spots you cant blame a guy who did his homework to find a hot spot give up the info,only to go there the next time and have to deal with all the guys that run to these posted hot spots in hopes of doing well,Its nice to help out a fellow fisherman but when you give up info that so many people have access to well you know whats gonna happen,I know of a lake that is giving up trout like your fishin in a bucket Im talking 50 + a day and I know theres guys here that have been there but I havent seen not 1 single post here on this lake,so most guys are tight lipped on hot spots and you cant blame them.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:26 AM »
I think this thread turned into a good one but my point in starting it was to say that not EVERYONE you see on the ice is a member of IS so if you see guys fishing don't assume they are going to post and if they don't, don't assume they are hiding something(although they could be). I understand what your all saying about the lurkers but thats always going to happen. :(

Offline icehawk25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2009, 09:14 AM »
I posted for the first time the end of last week.  I am a new member, and I fish lakes from northampton county, pike, and monroe counties predominantly. Sometimes western and northern New Jersey.  I asked about ice conditions, and didn't offer any information.  I was just getting a feel for actually making a post.  If I can offer any info about those areas, please let me know.  Don't won't to be considered a lurker  :-[ :-[  I am the king of 3" blue gills, so I don't know how much I would be helping anybody after this weekend :laugh:

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:04 AM »
There are times when I am planning to go out in the next few days and unsure of where to fish. I will ask about ice conditons and might never fish that lake. I base my descision on ice conditions. Some lakes I fish are a hour or more away. Just saves me some gas money if someone was there and can give a report. Thats one reason I always post ice conditons. Hopefully I can do the same in return for someone.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:14 AM »

Take care and good luck,

Snapper   

Exactly. Right on, Snapper.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:21 AM »
I know what you mean Snapper. Even thou I've been fishin a private lake recently, I've really had no info that is meaning full to anybody since they can't fish the lake anyway, but in the past I used to post my catches and locations on different lakes and actually had somebody tell me when I got to a perticular spot that they heard of it on the net and fished it two days ago and now this was their new area now, five guys fishin a area that I never saw anybody fish before, they probably would of not even had the patience to if I keep my mouth shut. Theirs a few guys I'll shoot a PM to on here, they know who they are, their was also others in the past who would PM me & like you said would get pretty pi.sy if they did not hear what they wanted. If I fish a public lake late ice, or know ice conditions are iffy I will post ice conditions as to keep anybody safe. :-X
Yep, NEPA Oldman. and that's exactly what I'm talkin' about.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:39 AM »
Like Bean mentioned earlier on this thread. The Reports and Conditions page could only be view by members. So if you want to post a report, and don't want non members to see it. That would be the area.

Offline EJF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I try to post most of the times that I go with some results and conditions.I personally use this more for ice conditions than anything else.Half the fun is finding the fish and figuring them out. anything I want to keep quiet about I PM someone.Tight lines and I hope we get a few more trips this year!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2009, 01:21 PM »
don't assume they are hiding something(although they could be).

Hey Jim,

I'm always hiding something, ask nicely and I might show it to ya ;)

No, really now, I am at fault for not posting much in the way of results, but I do try to post conditions when I think it's important. Like I was up at Lake Jean on Monday, 12" of ice but someone already posted that information so there was no need for me to repost it. And what I caught really only matters to me and the folks that were with me, although it was a good day ::)

As far as people on the ice go, I'm often amazed at how many people have never heard of this site or checked in once last year..............thei r loss.

And it's pretty easy to figure out the guys that always want info, but rarely give any. Ignore them, they will go away sooner or later.

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Like Bean mentioned earlier on this thread. The Reports and Conditions page could only be view by members. So if you want to post a report, and don't want non members to see it. That would be the area.

Keep in mind all anyone has to do to view is register and sign in. They are no longer required to have a certain number of posts to view the reports and condition page.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Keep in mind all anyone has to do to view is register and sign in. They are no longer required to have a certain number of posts to view the reports and condition page.
Yea, I know that Ski Hunter. This post started, about concern from the non-members seeing our reports. You got that exactly right, too, as far as anyone can just sign in just to view what's on the forum. I don't post anything without thinking first. I don't mind helping someone out, sharing some information and ice conditions on lakes I've fished. But, like alot of us, we've fished for a long time, and know what we're doing. Over the years we've done our homework on the water. Gain access at some special places. I have a handful of friends that I fish with, and we personally will share detailed info. But on the internet for all to see?!, that would be really stupid. No matter what, you can't please everyone. I try to be a nice guy about it. But I am not going to lose any sleep over someone getting angry with me, because I won't give them detailed information. Most people have respect, and realise you should put the time on the water like the rest of us. To ask for a tip or a general question about a body of water, is totally understandable, but to expect someone to put you onto their honey-hole is absurd.

Offline Eddie Spaghetti

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Confessions of a "lurker".............. All lurkers aren't here for nefarious reasons. Many of the regular guys that post seem to get out a lot more than I do. Since I fish Moraine more than anywhere, if I see that Pajans, Snapper, or 1mo (for example) post ice conditions or a report,  I think I can trust what I am reading. Don't know these guys, but I trust them. I'm not looking for your honey hole, just as to the ice conditions, or your impressions as to what is happening. Sometimes, I just like to see what is going on. If I have something worthwhile to say, I try and post it, but someone has normally beat me to the punch. Just my opinion.

Offline RefiGuy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:06 AM »
Lets face it even if someone does give you a spot, it doesnt mean that the fish will be there when you fish it. Fish move with the weather, temp etc. One day they hit a certain bait, color and the next day they wont touch it. I've had guys from other forums post a tip or PM a tip , I get there and cant buy a hit. Other times I get a tip and just knock them dead. I know I'm always willing to share tips about an area if someone asks. I might not tell them exactly which brush pile or tree to fish ;) but I will say " Hey hit this bay or hit the area to the left of the bridge etc." Cant make it too easy.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:43 AM »
The brain trust of this forum doesn't make this forum go. Its the fisherman that post that makes this forum go. The Mods are just as important to keep it all in order. To me this is another piece of equipment that I use during the ice season. Its up to us guys in PA to determine how good this forum can be used for us. If no one posted...why even look here??  This is a tool given to us and we should use it. You wanna post spots...so be it.  You wanna post conditions or areas that are producing so be it. You don't wanna post..so be it. I will continue to post and I hope more will post. Even if you don't think the info is that important post it. It may help the other guy. Its on us guys......Lets make the PA threads better. The only way I was fortunate to meet some of the guys from here was from posting. And I SURE am glad I did. Bunch of really GREAT guys I have met so far. AND have learned alot from those guys too.  Anybody have any input on how we can make PA threads better???

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:45 AM »
WOW I’m very surprised this thread did not blow up onto a big argument over what people think others should share.  Conditions posting that is great I go out of my way to make sure others do not head out on iffy ice or make a wasted trip.  What I do, use,  or how I do it I will tell anyone but I have to draw the line when it comes to specific locations.     

Take care and good luck,

Snapper

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:53 AM »
From a MOD standpoint, the guys who use the PA forum are a great bunch of guys. There is cooperation and general good will with everyone. We do our best to not overmoderate. There have been so really good posts in this thread and everyone has done a good job of keeping perspective and respect. I enjoy reading your posts and thank you for making Iceshanty such a great site.    Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:32 AM »
On that note I can agree with that 100% this is one of the better sights that have been to and I wish I could find an open water forum like this.  I have made some real nice connection from this place and I support the intentions. 

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Some people are just flat out uncomfortable posting on the net… it’s a little quirky to be sure, but I don’t really blame them. I fish a lot with another IS.com member that could fall under the “lurker” category (depending on your definition)… he likes reading the stuff on here but doesn’t often contribute… no biggie, there’s enough hot air on here between us regulars to fill out the reports data base.

I always post a report, sometimes w/ pic’s, or sometimes I’ll just “piggy-back” on another report if I was fishing w/ another member.

I ALWAYS report ice conditions, and I ALWAYS sandbag the results… no sense in getting people all worked up one way or the other. I’ll give lake names and maybe a general area, but NEVER exact locations. If you do give detailed info regarding location, be prepared to reap what you sow… that’s just common sense.

I like reading reports from other lakes that I have—or plan to—fish just for the entertainment value and/or pictures (if applicable)… but I largely ignore the actual fishing results and am mostly interested in the ice thickness and general condition of the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.