The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jerks on the Water...or Ice  (Read 900 times)

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Jerks on the Water...or Ice
« on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:55 PM »
     A few years ago, I was saltwater fishing down in Bay St Louis MS. I was anchored midst a dozen creosote pilings  catching sheepshead about one after another from my shallow draft 8 ft jon boat. And I saw this high school aged kid (3 buddies aboard screaming and pointing, laughing) coming straight for where I was in his 20 ft inboard and all I could do as he intentionally swerved to within ten yards of me and veered away was hang onto the sides of the little boat and let it just take a beating and ten gallons of water. When his wake hit, it pinned my hand against a piling and ripped most of the skin off my knuckles. I saw him turn down a dead-end canal and later followed it to where I found the boat tied up to the dock in front of a waterfront mansion. I tied up and went and pounded on the door for five minutes, but my guess is little rich-boy punk was cowering inside anticipating what was coming if he answered the door. Bottom line, the local Mississippi Dept Marine Resources Warden and a flaming ticket. Yep. Never saw him again. And that's a good thing. :nono:
     I try to enjoy my time on the water and ice and always look to make new friends, same as I do on this site. I suppose that's why I miss pier-fishing in MS and LA so much, seems after just a short time, everyone knew everyone else...comradery  ;D I guess after all these years on the water, I can point to only 2-3 instances like this. That prob'ly means we have the jerks outnumbered...and that's good.
     But I'll just bet something a lot like this has happened to you at one time or another...or ya saw somebody do something just plain un-ethical. Don LT/ISM  ;D

Offline Linganator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Jerks on the Water...or Ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Unfortunately, your are right Lt!

Quite a few years back, we were Elk hunting in the NW corner of the state, and were camped at the base of the hills.
 We heard the three trucks zoom by, headed up the hill, just as we were topping off the thermoses and heading out the door of the camper.  we saw where the three vehicles tracks had separated and passed one veh as we made our way farther back and up.
Later that morning while watching some dark timber, we heard the firefight (herding) begin, down off the hill on private property.
About 45 minutes later about a 15 shots rang out as the group flock shot the heard of Elk that had been pushed out of the private property, later in the day as we drove back down the hill we came across the path (probably 200 head of Elk based on the width and number of Elk track) and killing field.  Blood everywhere, a couple gut piles, but the most sickening was the blood tracks that continued over the hill and into another hunt area, not one but many!  The next day while hunting a member of our party shot and ended the suffering of a cow that had survived the above.
 When we broke camp a couple days later, we stopped at the game check point and mentioned what we saw and detailed the vehicles.  One of which we knew to be local.  I hope that guy still doesn't have the right to hunt or own a weapon.

Glad it was just some broken skin on your knuckles LT!  Probably best that they didn't open the door.
Ling

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2009, 06:52 PM »
True, true, let's leave it at I didn't stop weightlifting when I retired and I mostly wanted to unleash a vitriolic lecture on him, had it escalated beyond that, well...in Law Enforcement there's a tenent, "Whatever it takes to alter the behavior..."  ;D :roflmao: :thumbsup: :woot: :whistle: :%$#!: And welcome to the Iceshanty Ling! Don

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2009, 07:35 PM »
had similar incident like that on a river in alabama. didn't ever see them again though or knew where they went.and lots of rude jet skis used to fish way up in the upper end of the lake near where i lived in mississippi every once in a while some would show  up there guess they never saw the size of some of the gators that lived up there also :o speaking of jerks on the water or ice i just hope all the younger crowd on this site will teach there kids to respect this great place we live in and never be a litterbug ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Oh man, this is great, I just got my copy of American Hunter and there's a story about a NH Game Warden who was called to the scene of a doe having been poached on private property. He followed the blood-drag from the gut pile to the poacher's place of business and confronted him. Poacher of course denied it, saying he had killed it at an open-land location. Warden said okay, I'll be back later and you can lead me to the kill site. Warden returned to the gut-pile and stuffed a business card into the stomach and left. He went back later and met with the suspect who led him to a different location where he had moved the gut pile to and pointed out the gut-pile in the now-legal location. Warden split the stomach, pulled out his business card and made the case. Cool arrest!  :nono: :callcops: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: LT

Offline Linganator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2009, 03:09 PM »
That reminds me,  I need to change my address, no wonder I haven't received my Amer Rifleman.

I wonder if the judge would have directed questions to highlight the trail of stupidity... that is classic.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.