The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: fishing in Cody?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
fishing in Cody?
« on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:02 PM »
My wife and I who live in Central NY, are going to move to Cody, Wyoming and was wondering how the ice fishing is around that area? We catch Northens, eyes,perch,crappies thru the ice, but don't know the waters in Wyoming.

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: fishing in Cody?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Cody is going to be change from NY going from warm water fish to cold water fish (trout)  Buffalo Bill can be fantastic as long as the wind doesn't blow the ice off like it did this year. Be prepared for some wind while out on the ice in this country. I only made it on the ice 2 times before it blew off due to the warm Chinook winds.  Other years we have ice from Xmas to early March.  There is fair fishing for walleye, perch and bass with in an hour from here.  Boysen is only 2.5 hours away
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:45 PM »
welcome to the big beutifull state of wyoming. you found the right site to answer your questions.how soon will you be moving?

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Don't know when, hopefully when the stock market gets going again. We've been to cody about 6 times in the last 4 years and really love it, especially the South Fork and North Fork. We get alot of wind here too, but it's usually for about 2 days and then it dies down. I was fishing a couple of days ago and the wind was blowing 25-30mph and I had to hold my tent down with my feet and couldn't set my tip up because if i caught a fish my tent would have blown away. Did catch some nice perch and a couple of northerns jigging inside my tent. :)

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2009, 06:11 PM »
if your waiting on the stock market it might be awhile ::)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2009, 06:18 PM »
Get ready for 50mph winds here!

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2009, 06:38 PM »
Get ready for 50mph winds here!

Cody can beat that with 75mph  on a good day with some gusting to 100 mph towards Clark

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2009, 06:50 PM »
75-100MPH :o. Man, never expected that. Any Northern pike around Cody? We stopped in Cooke City Mt. to visit some friends and in September the wind was blowing off the mts. that day about 50. We talked to a game warden and he says Cody gets very little snow which is Ok with me as we get over 100" every winter.

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:43 PM »
You either have to go to Montana or Keyhole on the North East side of Wyoming and I have not been able to catch one of those toothed creatures.  Tried twice and only saw 1 dead pike on the bank.  Bet you can check the Montana guys they know where all the pike are.

Only huts that stand a chance on Buffalo Bill are the homemade jobies.  The store bought ones usally end up blowing down the lake.  I have had my hut up in 60 mph winds and we didn't move, getting back to the truck on the other hand was kinda fun.

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Mallardmuncher what kind of shanty do you use?? you have any pics? sorry to get off subject just wondering. Thanks

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I do have some pics I can try and get it up this weekend.  Its a home made job we made in college

Offline wyohikeit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Yep Wyoming will be a change for you --in every way. Adjusting to the fishing is one thing BUT--- You will dry up like a prune then blow away with a pack of wolves chasing you!  Stream fishing with a grizz is exciting too!
Time on the ice is always worth more than money

Offline ex-pug

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I can put up with the wind, have been attacked by a BLACK BEAR, not a grizzly, but just happen to love the mountains and to get away from the big city life, but will miss pulling out those big northerns.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.