The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Perch and crappie in Alcova and/or Pathfinder?  (Read 822 times)

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Perch and crappie in Alcova and/or Pathfinder?
« on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:53 PM »
I know there are none in there, but what's a kid to do to get the ball rolling on getting them in there?  Or is it even feesable? I know it would be more exciting knowing they're in there and not expecting the usual trout. (cause I sure as heck can't find/catch walleye in there :D) They're two of my favorite to catch (and eat!) but can only make it to places where they are located a couple times a year.  Does a guy need to start a petition or bombard the G & F with Q&A sessions? :-\ I guess G&F would be a tremendous place to start! Could it be that G&F don't want to ruin the blue ribbon trout fishing below Grey Reef?  That question has been bouncing around in this pea brain for a while and I would like to know what you guys and gals think.

Tight lines and GO WYO!!!

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Perch and crappie in Alcova and/or Pathfinder?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:04 PM »
I like the idea i just am not sure what the downside to putting them into either lake. I also like catching them. A good Place to start is a fish biologist in the area they would have the the answer why or why not or maybe that it never crossed their mind. I will try to see if i can contact someone as well.

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2009, 07:37 AM »
They have meeting every year for just this type of thing. Check their web sight for dates or call the regional office. Seems to me though the game and fish in Wy are more for trout than any other species.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Yea know,at first I didn't care for this thread,I'm thinking -just leave well enough alone,its been like this forever so why change it.But the more I sat and thought about it I'm thinking that it might be allright to have perch and crappie this close to home.So now I am curious to hear what they tell you if you do ask about it.Please let us know gator what reaction you get when you approach the G&F with this.
Randy

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Hey looky there,I'm no longer a rookie,whooohooo :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009, 12:57 PM »
Hey looky there,I'm no longer a rookie,whooohooo :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats fishlord, hey gator do keep us posted on what ya find out.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I bet they say no...

Perch, crappie, and trout all feed primarily on zooplankton, and perch and crappie out-compete trout for zooplankton,  So you would automatically reduce the amount of trout that the reservoir could support. 

Also, perch and crappie reproduce naturally, so once they are planted you cannot control their populations (think stunted, boom and bust cycles). 

And all waters downstream would also end up being stocked with them as well as they drifted downstream during high flows.

Can't hurt to ask though.....

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:58 PM »
The prime reason would be because of below the lakes almost more than the lakes themselves.  Being as the greys reef area is considered one of the top blue water trout fisheries in Wyoming, they would never allow any fish introduced that could have a negative impact on the trout fishery.  They, the G&F just about had a heart attack when the walleyes showed up in pathfinder and then later alcove. I can understand why they want to protect and area like Greys Reef. If you fly fish then you can understand.   

olefish

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:12 PM »
There is a public meeting may 14 in Casper. This is the link http://gf.state.wy.us/services/news/pressreleases/07/04/27/070427_1.asp this is all I have found so far. The idea will probably be shot down but it will never hurt to run it past them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.