Author Topic: Circle hooks  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
Circle hooks
« on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:37 PM »
I had been fishing with a tandem treble/florocarbon leader rig for the past few years but recently switched to circle hooks with good results. I haven't had any of the 'drag and drop's since the switch, perhaps because the trebles' many points are no longer getting caught in vegetation. I can also let the fish take the bait longer without fears of gut-hooking. All hook sets since the switch have been textbook, corner-of-the-mouth hook-ups, leaving much healthier fish.  I tie one circle hook in a fixed position at the end of the line and leave one free on the line so I can adjust it according to bait size. Now all I need is more free time I can spend on the ice!!! :tipup:
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
Re: Circle hooks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Could we see some pics of this set up?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:27 PM »
circle hooks ::)  good luck, but no thanks!
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009, 05:30 PM »
I have had some bad results with circles. :( Hooking percentige goes in the toilet.

And yes I know how to use them. I use them for catfish all summer long.

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I really let the pike run with my bait when I fish (because there is a large hard-spined forage base where I fish the pike almost always drag a bait slowly for 10-20 feet before turning it and eating it head first). I have learned to do this after pulling countless baits out of pike's mouths early in my ice fishing career, despite using tandem treble rigs, and I'm still confused how the pike are holding these baits in a way that avoids the hook. The circles let the fish run until I'm sure they are on without any gut-hooking, but I will say that the circles should be VERY sharp.  If you are a fisherman who prefers setting the hook quickly, circles are not for you.

Offline GRIZZZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009, 01:29 PM »
For Pike - L144SSG Stainless Lazer Kahle hooks..... exceptionally good hook, for me ;)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2009, 05:05 PM »
You have to have a big awful huge circle to do the job, that is the problem. I was clear up to an 8/0 to fish a 10'' sucker, but the hook was so hefty it screwed with the bait. I got the circle hook routine figured out good enough to get my hook up percentage above 70%, but that still stinks. The trick I found was to let the fish run, and when it is moving right along I added tension with my fingers. When the line was snug, I sloooowly stopped the fish without a tug or "set". It was allot of shenanigans for no good reason IMHO.

I have a near 90% hookup rate with the quick strike rigs, with no gut hooks. If they are not working for you, I would guess your hooks are too big. Think smaller with the QSR, size 4 Eagle Claw 374s are plenty for an 8'' sucker.

I am pretty sure a long minnow type bait prevents the circle hook from turning properly in the fishes mouth. They work best with chunks of bait, like a gob of crawlers or chunk of cut bait.

QSR should look something like this..

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2009, 10:51 PM »
The rig you use is almost exactly what I had been using, except I had one fixed treble, about the same size or a hair smaller than yours, and one free sliding treble. Mine were on 50lb florocarbon and I'd had reasonably good luck, aside from drag and drops, until this year when I had two fish, 16.5 and 14, both take the hook all the way into the "sphicter" of their throat- did not bode well for the fish either time.  Also the exposure of so many treble points was getting me hung up on vegetation.

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2009, 11:56 PM »
doesnt that quick strike setup make the bait hang head down?i always try to get it to lay natural but dont know if this matters?

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2009, 12:30 PM »
I fish my bait dead, and I don't think dead fish always float or rest perfectly level. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2009, 07:59 PM »
doesnt that quick strike setup make the bait hang head down?i always try to get it to lay natural but dont know if this matters?

Nope, they swim around like nothing is going on. They will even swim up if you clip the fins.

The rig you use is almost exactly what I had been using, except I had one fixed treble, about the same size or a hair smaller than yours, and one free sliding treble. Mine were on 50lb florocarbon and I'd had reasonably good luck, aside from drag and drops, until this year when I had two fish, 16.5 and 14, both take the hook all the way into the "sphicter" of their throat- did not bode well for the fish either time.  Also the exposure of so many treble points was getting me hung up on vegetation.

Sounds like you are letting the fish go on tour with your bait! Don't let them run or even think about it with a QSR, cross their eyes the second that flag pops.

What size circles are you using? What brand and model of hooks are you using? Post a pic if you can, if the circles are working for you maybe I will revisit the idea. QSRs make for a tangled mess in the pail. I was using Eagle Claw L8197, and Gamagatsu Octopus Circles in my experimentation.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.