The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Harassed at the Hawg Derby  (Read 1802 times)

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
Harassed at the Hawg Derby
« on: Feb 09, 2009, 09:06 PM »
At what point do you start to feel like your being harassed while enjoying a peaceful weekend of ice fishing? I've been to the Hawg derby the last four years, and three of those years the camp I've been in has been checked by G&F - so I expect to be visited, but...this weekend was borderline ridiculous.  Saturday afternoon G&F stopped by - the usual routine, reel up the jiggin poles head to the shore, show your license, etc. But then, an hour later, 90 minutes max, here comes the park ranger checking all the campers for permits, same routine - come off the ice, make sure all is well.  Then, as I'm leaving Sunday afternoon, they had a checkpoint setup at the end of the main road to pathfinder, get in line, pull over here, Q&A session etc.  If I had to put up with that everytime I went fishing - I might quit fishing.  For most fishermen I know, one of the main reasons to go is to get away from authority (usually the wife).
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Re: Harassed at the Hawg Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:07 PM »
All I have to say is that they are just doing there job and of course they are going to be out in force at an event like the derby.  There proably wont be 400 people on that lake the rest of the year so they are trying to get some easy pickins.  Sounds like you just got checked at random a few times, but lucky for you you had followed the rules and had nothing to worry about. 

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2009, 10:10 PM »
With a few exceptions there are only two forms of income for the G&F, license sales and tickets. Do you want them to be able to manage the fisheries and wildlife? the guys are just doing their jobs
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I can see why you felt that you was being harassed  a little because two different deals in a short time occurred but like the rest of the guys are saying,they are just doing there job.I can say that in 30 years+ fishing that lake that is the first time I have ever seen a check station on the rd out.But I am thinking it had more to do with more than any of us know.At the end of the derby around 3 o'clock there was 2 sheriffs in the hut talking to Bill Elmore,the main man of Pathfinder boat club.I have no idea what they was talking about but I did hear them say there was a check station there and they would be looking in certain vehicles.All I can say if your not guilty about anything then don't sweat the small things.I for one had a clear conscience as they waved me by.
Randy

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:43 AM »
Strictly from a Law Enforcement perspective...as Randy said, there's probably more to what went transpired over there than what you know...reeks of a piece of stolen property that wouldn't be easily concealed on the way out.  :callcops: But at the end of the day, I'm ready to go home, I would not be very interested in participating in a survey. Just my 2 cents.  LT

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Most years at Boysen I have been checked but this year I never contacted at all. Also I have not been contacted all ice season.
olefish

Offline Gatorslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:12 AM »
I agree with Fishlord, too. Honesty is the best policy. :angel  If you don't have nothing to hide, then there should not be a problem.  It's their job.  Now why they weren't out on wheelers on the ice, I do not know.  Maybe they were. I was never approached by any official.  The chances of busting someone with no minnow tag, too many lines, etc. etc. would have helped their cause, whatever that may be.... ??? ??? ??? 

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2009, 11:50 AM »
I was checked three times in two days at Glendo last summer. Same warden on a Jetski every time. You'd think he'd get tired of the same boat, wife and kids aboard. Oh well, must be some method to their madness. Not like a guy fishing with his family is going to be causing trouble. No real inconvenience but he did check liscences every time.  ???

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:24 PM »
I'm not sure why they weren't on wheelers or snowmachines, maybe they didn't trust the ice?  Maybe they thought since we were the last camp on the sweetwater side, they should check us out.  Maybe they wanted to know how the bite was over there?  I know the ranger checked the other two campers for permits, but I don't think he ever looked at mine.  At the checkpoint, they only asked how the fishing was, and how many we had kept - took a look etc. They were checking everyone for a while, then they'd get backed up and let a bunch through, then start checking again, so I'm not sure they were looking for something or not.  I know at the Boysen Bash we had to have one of, if not, the rowdiest crew out there (no wife or kids for anyone), and never saw a ranger or G&F, this weekend I'm out with two other dads and their kids, very different scenerio from Boysen, and that happens.  I know their doing their job, heck, my license fees or camping fees help pay they're wages. (G&F, Park Ranger respectively) I just had bad timing as far as the checkpoint goes - We had nothing we were trying to hide so all was well.  I guess my initial thought was if I was driving around in my vehicle and got pulled over three times in a 24 hour period, by two city cops and a highway patrol, for no particular reason on three different occasions , and they just wanted to see my license and registration, I would feel like I was being harassed.
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I don't mind being checked, what I don't understand is why they made you reel up your lines and come to shore. The wardens have always come out to me to check my license.

Offline wyiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:49 PM »
They may have come out but half our group was onshore, so I reeled up to not lose my jiggin' pole.  They never actually waved me in or anything, I just figured it be easier to come in.
wishin I was ice fishin

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2009, 06:16 PM »
why did you have to go to shore w/ them, if they just wanted to check your licenses?  if it's because it's computerized and the computers are in their trucks, i think they should have portable computers or something that they can remain on the ice on location to check the licenses: it is wrong to tear a serious fisherman away from his whole if he is doing nothing wrong and had paid his dues.

other than that, though, i have to say i support and encourage aggressive checking by the G&F, as we hardly ever get checked here, and i know a lot of illicit/harmful activity would be caught and punished if they checked more.  i am a Wyoming native, and it is very important to me that the wildlife in my state is protected.  i am more than happy to break out my license that i purchase religiously and show it to the game rangers that might come by.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Go to the Hattie Derby.  I have fished in that derb for years and never once been checked for anything.
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:24 PM »
I'm with 327.  Let them come to you...especially during a derby...you might have missed the winner.  I don't think they would get bent about it.  I know they enjoy being out of the truck.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline Junior88

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Captain Insano Shows No Mercy !
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Dont mind being checked at all. Hopefully they catch a few slobs once in while.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.