The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: need general tips for perch.  (Read 636 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
need general tips for perch.
« on: Feb 06, 2009, 06:31 AM »
well im layin off the crappies and goin to a private lake that has perch in it.never targeted this species so i dont know where they hang out deep or shallow?ill be using minnows because the lake is stunted with little blugills that steal spikes and waxies.i have a vex but do they hang close to the bottom?

Offline finished with engines

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: need general tips for perch.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Minnows are a good choice.  They hang near the bottom.  I usually fish about a foot off, one rod with a small pimple and a whole perch minnow the other rod with a tear drop dead stick ed with an occasional jiggle.  Don't know how deep the lake is but the deep edge of any weed lines that you know of would be a good starting point.  The edge of transition from flats to deep water is worth looking at too.  Perch roam around so you might have to move around to find em.  Best of luck.  May the Jumbos be with you.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.... Teach a man to fish and his wife will never see him

Offline steelhead666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 07:58 AM »
wigglers kens spoons with a red bead perch hang tight to the bottom and hail jigs tipped with a wiggler or minnow if u have a sonar u can see them tight to the bottom if they don't hit a lot bounce it off the bottom that will get them to hit a lot of the time and move a lot to stay on top of the ones that will hit
jeffrey shepherd

Offline dennisthemence

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2009, 12:07 PM »
not knowing the lake structure does help but will try. if the lake is a deep lake like gull then i'd fish the breaks and flats in about 20' of water and work deeper. if the lake is a fish bowl type of lake then i would start on the outside edge of the weeds and look for some type of change in the bootom-----such as bottom content,marrol to sand or gravel--sudden change in depth-- a spring on top of a flat.
i have a lake that i fish that is only 8' deep in the deepest part. the perch are mostly along the edge of the channel that runs throu the lake. i have gotten them as shallow as 3' of water to in the middle of the deepest hole. so you just have to look and keep moven until ya find them.
as for bait i would use a minnow on one pole and use a spike or a waxie until i get a perch then i would use a perch eye on that pole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.