Author Topic: Snowshoes for the weekend?  (Read 807 times)

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snowshoes for the weekend?
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:46 AM »
Thinking about busting them out and going retro for the derby.  I'm thinking with the mild temps, it may be the only way to keep the feet out of the slop for the day.  Not bringing the quad or the snowmobile...just the thought of fighting to get through the slush wigs me out.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Snowshoes for the weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:56 AM »
i think shoes are gonna be the preferred method of travel for me too. i don't have a snowmobile, just a 4 wheeler, but i think it would be nightmare trying to ride a quad on the ice right now. i need to get some tracks for it.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:59 AM »
I fished Newfound last weekend and wished I would have brought mine.  It was very tough walking.  I won't forget to bring them this weekend.

Offline ice_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I used mine last week and they worked great for staying on top of the snow crust as where I was fishing I took them off and was walkign in slush and such, great idea
 ;D

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:34 AM »
i also use mine on the week end, there the old style wooden ones,
the trouble i had is the toe is not turned up enouph on them and it got caught under the crust.  >:(   :-\
still a good idea

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:50 AM »
Not sure what kind of slush you guys have down there but snowshoes are great if there is minimal slush however if you have slush where the snowshoe is going thru and into the water then they can get real heavy where each one will weigh 75 lbs. In that case your better with good rubber boots. But that is only if you have minimal snow cover and about a foot of water on top of ice. We sometimes have those conditions in BC.

Happy Shoeing ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Unless we get a rouge storm that dumps nothing but rain there shouldn't be much slush.
The deeper snow will be "off the beaten paths" and will be a pain without snowshoes, but hey, I don't plan on walking anywhere, but RUNNING everywhere!

Hope everyone has fun this weekend. The weather looks great with moderate temps and light wind.
Time to break out the grill and sunscreen!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.