The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What kind of fish are there in Alcova?  (Read 893 times)

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
What kind of fish are there in Alcova?
« on: Feb 01, 2009, 02:49 PM »
I think I'm going to avoid the derby rush and give Alcova a try.  What types of fish swim there and where would they most likely be?  Thanks Goose.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
Re: What kind of fish are there in Alcova?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:16 PM »
I found a cool topo map overlay program.  This spot looks like it would be a good spot for Trout, can you get there this time of year?

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Ooops forgot to add the map, the pin show where I'm talking about.  Thanks Goose

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:08 PM »
hey goose,there is a road that takes you close to that area but it is definitely a 4-wheel rd.The problem with alcova is if you don't go in on the 3 main Rd's the rest of them are pretty rough.That rd your looking for is just past the bridge  around a mile or so give or take a little ways.just look to your right when your heading towards black beech rd but quite aways before black beech.The dirt is reddish color right there.cant miss it,I haven't been in there for about 10 years but there is some good fishing in there.might even be a gate there now,i cant remember.we use to go in there to get away from everybody.good secluded area.
Randy

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2009, 04:36 PM »
So, Randy what have you caught in there? I'm guessing Bows, Eyes and Browns.  I think I will get back there this coming weekend and not to much of a crowd on the Ice this weekend only two guys fishing by the road.  Thanks Goose.

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Yea,all of the above.That's whats in all of the North Platte drainage. I don't fish alcova  through the summer months because it is a serious play lake for the rich.30 and 40' power boats racing around,10,000 jet skis.by 10:00 a.m. any giving morning there will be 3 to 4' waves just from the idiots on the lake running around.I don't want to sound negative about the lake but its just not for me.But saying all that it is a great fishing lake.Down in the canyon we have caught some really nice eyes and alot of trout.But what they call the 2nd point of black beach is killer for trout off the bank or good for eyes out of the boat.I don't ice fish it much because through the years the ice just isn't safe enough for a fat man like myself.last winter  we did ice fish it right by the mouth of the canyon and we couldn't keep the trout off.3 tip ups is all we could get in and the fish just kept hitting.It was a blast but that year was a good year of ice.Pathy, boysen,ocean and alot more all had 24 to 30" ice that year.so where ever you fish there just be carefull.you never know the ice structure on it.Its usually the first lake to open up.I take my boat on it just waiting for pathy to open up.Ive been fishing these lakes for 30 years and I can say they are very good lakes to fish.
Randy

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:08 PM »
I was looking at where the river runs into it as well but I'm sure the ice is a bit scary due to the current but could be a good spot for some hogs.  Thanks again Randy.  Goose

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:22 AM »
I fished at Alcova, last Sunday,(25th) off of Black beach. Not alot of ice, maybe 5 inches. We stayed near the parking lot, it was a very cold and windy day, so we spent most time in the shelter and did not explore much. Caught 6 trout, mostly small sized. Most action around 15 to 20 fow. I would not even consider taking a atv on that lake. I would be very careful about the ice there, drill check holes as you travel.

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I fished at Alcova, last Sunday,(25th) off of Black beach. Not alot of ice, maybe 5 inches. We stayed near the parking lot, it was a very cold and windy day, so we spent most time in the shelter and did not explore much. Caught 6 trout, mostly small sized. Most action around 15 to 20 fow. I would not even consider taking a atv on that lake. I would be very careful about the ice there, drill check holes as you travel.

Thanks, for the heads up on the ice but I always drill test holes on any ice that may be iffy.  Thanks Goose

Offline Vtgooseman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Take em'
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Went out to Cotton wood creek and found some Bows, good eaters.  Most were 14-16" range ended up getting 8.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.