Author Topic: How Much Snow on Winni ?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
How Much Snow on Winni ?
« on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Wondering how much snow is on Winni?Usually take the wheelers up for the derby /one is 2 wheel drive but has chains andhas done well in past years but you may be loaded with snow...

Offline Fishback

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I-I-I-I-I-I-I-CE!!!!
Re: How Much Snow on Winni ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2009, 08:54 AM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=105893.0

I would probably leave your 2x4 wheeler at home. Mines a 4x4 and it had trouble last week. We're expecting more snow on Tuesday/Wednesday.

It's already tough going.

Offline pipes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:02 PM »
there is a good 6" of powder. had a hard time getting to the camper in meredith. made it about 95% to the site then pushed the 4 wheeler the last 100 yards.

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2009, 05:13 PM »
Trade them in for a snowmobile.

Many parts of the lake have over a foot of snow and on the areas that accumulate there is upwards of 18 inches of snow. Wheelers are not traveling far right now on the main lake body.
PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Hows Alton Bay looking ? Is there  a road plowed  ? Airstrip plowed?
How are the edges ?

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:06 PM »
We fished off the end of that plowed road in alton bay today, and its kinda tough going once you get off that road. there were jeeps getting stuck while we were there. trucks seemed ok though.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Hey James, How did you do today? we only got a few perch. Lots of planes, I counted 16 on the ice at one time, but I'd rather see 16 fish on the ice at one time.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Riverat,it was salmon city where we were at. we were trying to get the baits down on the bottom for some togue,but the salmon kept taking them as we were dropping them. but i took my nephew out for his first fishing trip, and he had a blast watching all of the stuff going on, and i had fun watching him, so it was a great day on the ice.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Hey James, How did you do today? we only got a few perch. Lots of planes, I counted 16 on the ice at one time, but I'd rather see 16 fish on the ice at one time.

they had a big fly in today, i hear there is going to be an even bigger one on the 15th.

Offline chowdah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:19 PM »
I checked 7 locations on the lake today & none looked good for 4 wheelers!! Some had plowed roads but once your off that forget it. I will leave my wheeler at home & having my bro bring his sleds. I would reccomend that to anyone.

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:23 PM »
hows  the   slush   with  the  snowmobiles

Offline mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:34 PM »
how far is the plowed road on alton? How much snow and slush on the ice?

Offline RIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • the tank!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Is it like last year?
How are the edges ?

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:07 PM »
No, not like last year... and this storm by passing us is going to be a big help.  I wonder how much yesterday's temps helped as far as the snow. 

Yesterdays temps didn't really do anything to winni it is still fluffy snow with a tiny crust on top that couldn't hold a cat.

There is not slush everywhere right now but come saturday night there will be a mess with all the holes being drilled and the mild temps.

I seriously doubt anybody is moving anywhere with a 4 wheeler this weekend, i still have to give the snowmobile a lot of gas to pull my gear through it. I havn't heard of anyone having success with a wheeler off the beaten paths.

All the landings are a mess with all the people trying to use wheelers, they go out 50 feet and turn around and go back leaving giant frozen ruts that suck, just give up now it won't work.

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:54 PM »
OK so I am finally making it back up to the derby. The last few years it has snowed on us back here in CT and we could not come up because of plowing. I hope the weather is nice. high 30's and low wind  heaven!
So which part of the lake are you guys hiding that 5lb tagged one in. ha ha  I would come even if there were no tagged trout it is a great time and everyone I have met in NH have been awesome.
Really looking forward to getting back up there.

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:04 PM »
i will be headed up friday. i have a quick ? i will be outa melvin village. if i get a good fish and want to check it in can i throw it in a cooler with water in it so it wont lose any weight or does it have to be dead?
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2009, 03:22 PM »
If you catch one on friday it does not count for the derby ::)
You can keep the fish alive till you get to the board,they will kill it before they hang it..Good luck hope you finish second
Correct me if i'm wrong fellas.(only in derbys or tourneys you can do this)
Jig em up!

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:38 PM »
It is completely legal to have a live fish ON THE ICE or IN A BOAT while you are IN or ON the waters where that fish was caught, the second you step foot on land it has to be dead or you are breaking the law. Transportation over land of live fish NOT on the accepted live bait list is illegal.

That being said I have seen it loosen up during the derby's and havn't heard of people getting ticketed with live fish at weigh ins on land.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I guess it is a good thing I have my own launch/beach at camp, ;D I would hate to get stuck in some slush on the opening day of the derby. ::)

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:17 AM »
Here we go again ::) its on pg 17 of the little blue book

No person shall have live fish in their possesion leaving the freshwaters of our state exept those species allowed to be kept alive and used for  bait or that person is participating in a permitted fishing tournament.

If you do catch a fish for the board, i would keep it in water alive untill you get to the board.  the do lose weight when they die.

Offline fish on!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:11 AM »
I was out on my Polaris 700 Sportsman(4x4) doing fine. But mine is all jacked up with chains. Sure, there are some slushy spots, but there are also some sled highways that are packed down and frozen solid.

Don't get me wrong, you can pull your jet sled but not your shanty.

Good luck everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.