Author Topic: cooking  (Read 4112 times)

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
cooking
« on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:40 PM »
    I was looking for different ways people cook their fish. The only way I do is salt and peppered, a little bit of flour and fry it. If you have other ideas let me know, I'm open to try other ways to enjoy the fruits of our labors- since I've been laid off, fishing has been better than going to work except for the money part. Enjoy the fish any way I can.   Stay safe and enjoy.  Ice Chaser.
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
Re: cooking
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:01 PM »
I use Andy's red and drakes mix, half and half. Put them in semi dry, coat good, and deep fry. Mighty Tasty!!! :thumbsup:

Offline ice chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:03 PM »
  Do you use this on all your fish;perch ,gills,bass?
Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

Offline Dog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:12 PM »
Working hard to stay away from fried foods for awhile, I have adopted a recipe I used on Halibut; Bohemian style fish.

Start with some low fat butter in a casserole (real butter is much better) place your fillets after salt and peppering them.

Add a cup of your favorite salsa and cover with low fat mozzarella cheese. Bake until done @ 350 degrees (time varies depending on fish type and quantity). Do not use salsa that is in the least bit watery.  I love homemade salsa but most are to watery for this recipe.

This is a healthy and tasty way.  I will admit the recipe is better suited to Halibut and Cod, but Alaska is a once every 10 year trip if that.

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:25 PM »
i like andys red and fryin magic when i wanna get it done quickly> but my favorite is to roll saltine crackers into dust add pinch of lowrys seasoning salt and some black pepper. dip fillets in an egg mix bread and fry. with the others you can skip the egg mix

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:26 PM »
oh yeah for those who mushroom hunt this is how i do them too!

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Fried in shore lunch, drakes mix, a mixture of flour and yellow cornmeal, beer battered. Or grilled or baked with lemon juice, salt and pepper. And with LM bass, I fillet it, cut it into chunks and boil it in water with some salt, when it turns white, remove from heat, strain the water, put fish in bowl, stick in fridge till its good and cold. Serve with cocktail sauce and fresh lemon.
Phil

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:19 PM »
i use our Toaster Oven on Broil. Take a pc of foil, fold it over twice until you have the a 4x thick pc. Fold up the sides and make a boat(approximately12" x 7"), with 1" tall sides that won't leak...Take the fillets from a 2-3# walleye and lay side by side in the boat, Sprinke with Emeril's Blackened Fish seasoning and put 1/8" thick slices of butter on top of the fillets and seasoning as well as a couple of pcs. of the butter around the fillets to keep them from drying out. Cook on broil approx 10 min. watching to make sure you don't over cook em.  When the juices get bubbling  up between the flakes of fish its about done. Don't cook the fillet until the bubbling quits(over done).
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:26 PM »
Emerils essence is great!  Dip in a egg and milk mixture, put in flour...remove, then put the seasoning on both sides and bake.  Very yummy!  Also make fish sandwiches with them with tartar sauce and cheese if desired... Yum  :thumbsup:

Offline Steuben1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:27 PM »
oh yeah for those who mushroom hunt this is how i do them too!

Did you really have to bring up Morels??? Damn I was doing so well not thinking about them!! :)

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Did you really have to bring up Morels??? d**n I was doing so well not thinking about them!! :)
I just ate my last batch with my last fish fry.............. Boy I hope this year is as good as last year.........

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:41 PM »
i still have some vacuumed sealed packages. Hopefully have a batch at halftime along with some fresh perch from tomorrow......... :thumbsup:
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:48 PM »
I mix together Drake's, Andy's, and Loiusiana fish batters then just deep fry them.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I use ritz cracker and cheezits grind them up into a medium to fine dust, add my seasonings and fry in peanut oil.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline Hermdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Hard, Die Happy
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:14 PM »
  Do you use this on all your fish;perch ,gills,bass?
Yes, I do all my fish this way. After reading all these ways to fix um, my mouths waterin so bad I think I might drown. :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:37 PM »
Friend of mine went to florida and caught a bunch of spanish mackeral and a guy down there told him the only way to cook it.  He brought some back and prepared it like his guide told him.  Make a half and half mixture of franks hot sauce and yellow mustard,  dip fish in it and then bread with bread crumbs (Italian).  This was a great recipe!  Really couldn't taste them mustard or hot sauce very much but it gave a great flavor.  Wouldn't treat walleye, perch, or crappie like this but great with white bass, largemouth and firmer fish even from the store.

Offline jerknperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:40 PM »
Also love the recipe mentioned above.  Salty boiling water.  Put fish in, when starts to rise pull it out and chill.  My favorite fish to use is crappie.   Crappie Cocktail!

Offline leavnsorlips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:54 PM »
man i know this is gonna be a touchy subject and its a lil off topic but i just moved to ft. wayne a coupla yrs ago and have no permission up here to mushroom hunt!!!! can anyone recomend any public grounds up here that i may be able to look for some this spring?
Did you really have to bring up Morels??? d**n I was doing so well not thinking about them!! :)

Offline B.K.G.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:51 PM »
Long John Silver's Batter Dipped Fish is diffrent for a change.

3 cups soybean oil
2lb fish fillets
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup water
1 egg
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 tsp salt

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Long John Silver's Batter Dipped Fish is diffrent for a change.

3 cups soybean oil
2lb fish fillets
1 1/2 cups self rising flour
1/4 cup water
1 egg
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 tsp salt
Is this their actual recipe? Their batter is great. I use Dons Chuck Wagon onion ring mix, add alittle garlic salt, great

Offline dakota

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I use Zatarans crab and shrimp boil. Only use 1/2 the water it calls for. It gives the fish more flavor. Melt up some butter with garlic salt for dippin' and its like poor mans lobster
Semper Fi            ;IGY6
I stand for the flag, I kneel for the fallen

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2009, 05:48 PM »
I use ritz cracker and cheezits grind them up into a medium to fine dust, add my seasonings and fry in peanut oil.
OMG, I can hear you getting fatter!!! (Squirting packs of katchup in the mouth)--------Tommy Boy
Not like I can talk, but I swear my wife is washing all my work jeans in hot water!!!
Dude, that sounds crazy hillbilly cooking!  I guess I'm just a homesick Hoosier!

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2009, 08:18 PM »
These all sound great, here is what I do out West with all my fish, Clean out, cut off head, cover them with limmon pepper, when you think it is enough give them more and in a hot cast iron skillet melt some butter and fry adding lemmon pepper as you wish.  Mmmm Good.  You can do this on a grill, in the oven or in a pan.  Can't describe the flavor, lemmony, but delicious!!!!!  Try it.  You're gonna love it.

Offline walleyeslayr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2009, 08:17 PM »
2 sleeves of saltine crackers crushed fine
1/2 box shore lunch cajun
1 teaspoon lawry's seasoning
1 teaspoon garlic powder
and pepper to taste

fry in peanut oil at about 360 'til golden brown

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:40 AM »
half a package of uncle bucks Cajun and half a package of zatarain's crispy southern mixed then take 6 eggs and whip with 1/4 cup milk and 2 table spoons Jim beam bourbon coat the fillets in egg then in fish batter then deep fry
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.