Author Topic: Tip-Up Leaders  (Read 1500 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip-Up Leaders
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I want to know the best kind of line for the leaders of the tip-ups, what the best pound line to use for all over and what knot I should use to attach the line to the leader.  Thank You
 :tipup:      :tipup:      :tipup:               :icefish:

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-Up Leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:43 PM »
i use a barrel swivel to attach tip-up line to my leader. If you are looking for the best kind of line for a leader you will have to be more specific  what are you fishing for?    when setting them up for perch, walleyes, or trout (basically anything but pike) I like 6 lb mono . If you have pike around but aren't targeting  I would go heavier  maybe 12# fluoro     if it's pike I'm after I use 20# spider line. When I set my tip-ups up for most trips it is 6 lb stren that comes in the  red box .  anywhere between 4-8' long depending on depth  usually, for me anyways, about 6' if Im not after pike and 3' or so if I am after pike. hope this helps

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:20 PM »
If i am targeting walleyes, I will use 6 lb mono.  If i am targeting pike, I will either tie directly to the tip up line or will use 20lb big game mono.  i have also caught walleyes on the 20 lb line, so I will also use this when I know I am in a place where I can catch both pike and walleye.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:29 AM »
I tend to go heavier.  I generally fish for Bass / Pickerel / landlocked (stocked) salmon.   I use 50 lb dacron trolling line for my braided and tip with a 6 foot leader of 25 pound mono attached with a large barrel swivel.  NEVER had a breakoff yet and have no trouble attracting these 3 species to my shiners.  If you are fishing for trout and more finickey species you'll probably have more luck posting your question on the trout board.  The guys that go for trout will be able to help you out. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2009, 12:53 AM »
I have some 100% flourocarbon for Trilen, 8lb., would that work for walleye and maybe perch? ??? ???

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:41 AM »
I have some 100% flourocarbon for Trilen, 8lb., would that work for walleye and maybe perch? ??? ???

that will work.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.