The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bull lake  (Read 1525 times)

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bull lake
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:48 PM »
I spent some time talking to one of the tribal G&F folks.   He said the ice is very iffy because the lake has been raising and causing the water to come up leaving a gap of about 7+ feet from the bank to the water.  He said those risking getting on the ice are catching lakers.  He said they have increase the bag on the lakers because their numbers have increase to were the other trout are decreasing in numbers.. I have never  fished through the ice but have fished and caught several nice fish jigging and trolling. 
olefish

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Bull lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:39 AM »
You're right Olefish...and much as I like the Bull that sucker's treacherous in good weather  :'( :tipup: Don LT/ISM

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:22 AM »
I have heard it is a good fishing lake. I have never fished it or even heard of it till this year. What kind of fish are in that lake?

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:35 AM »
I have heard it is a good fishing lake. I have never fished it or even heard of it till this year. What kind of fish are in that lake?
they got lakers, ling and different types to trout. License is $85 dallors for a yearly tag.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2009, 11:43 AM »
If you don't do anything but hit it for the first few weeks after ice-out it's worth the $$$$   :woot: Hey, maybe we could have a gathering of eagles over there at iceout this spring? Yeah, plently camping spots there... Theeeee LT/ISM

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:16 PM »
If you don't do anything but hit it for the first few weeks after ice-out it's worth the $$$$   :woot: Hey, maybe we could have a gathering of eagles over there at iceout this spring? Yeah, plently camping spots there... Theeeee LT/ISM

I'd be down for that if it's over spring break.  :thumbsup:
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:26 PM »
I'd be down for that if it's over spring break.  :thumbsup:
Honey catches a fish...one of 35 C&R that afternoon...March 24 2008...that's the best target date LT can give BBKyle buddy, so how's that line out for you...and all you other ice-crazies?  The ice was off 2 weeks prior and the fishingwas still good 2 weeks later. :woot: :icefish: Don  LT/ISM  :tipup:

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:55 PM »
I have fished it from early March through September.  Bigest numbers of lakers were early, biggest fish came in June and July.  Our biggest fish  was 43 inches and 30 lb ( my wife), trolling a 7 inch plug at 85 feet and our best big fish day was doing the same thing 8 fish between 35 and 40 inches, date July 2.  Most fish in a day over 75 for two of us, in April, jigging big fish 30 inches.  Most fun is fly fishing above the lake in late July after the hoppers are active.  Biggest fish was a 9 lb brown (my wife) and me 2 27 inch cut throats.  Rattel snakes can be a factor, our lab was been bitten 3 times.

By the way she has also caught 4 walleyes out of boysen over 30 inches and. her loving name is big fish pig cause if she only catches one fish and its bigger than anyone else she is happy.  Her best day at boysen was a 28 inch 29 inch and 31 inch walleye and she lost one at least as big as the largest one. 
olefish

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:29 PM »
im in how is the road in and out of there?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Gravel road...never a problem even in winter...narrow in spots...with a few rattlesnakes here and there in summer...actually, quite a few  :woot: ;)2 naaah...good road. Bunch of us could go in, camp below the dam...or above the cove, plenty of room.
                                                                Don              LT/ISM ;D

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:49 PM »
break is march 15-22. I plan on fishing every day of it to try to make up for all the lost weekends. :flex:
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:53 PM »
break is march 15-22. I plan on fishing every day of it to try to make up for all the lost weekends. :flex:
I think you're gonna hit smack in the middle of the feed BBK  ;)         Don  LT/ISM

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2009, 09:57 PM »
The thing to think about is the lake is named bull lake because at times the wind is sounds like a bull buffalo bellowing. I am unsure about that but ther is no were to hide from the wind as it comes down  the cannon and into the lake.  Early trips can be shirt sleeve or constant cold and wind.  The lake will be open by mid March if it warms up and the wind blows for a week. If you take a boat be safe and I hope to be able to go also. I have an old 19 + foot boat and would be willing to take it. 
olefish

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2009, 10:03 PM »
Th' Bull at iceout March 1 or therabouts, 2008, yep, Olefish be telling the truth about them whitecaps ;D

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Today at Bull Lake, what little ice is there is about 3-4 inches thick, it's gonna go sooner than later. I talked to one of the guys who's setting up the Kids Derby for this weekend and he said the ice on that side of the lake is only 4 inches, but the opposite side is 12-15 inches just waaaay too much open water for me... :tipup:   Don LT/ISM

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:32 PM »
Did you do any fishing or just looking Lt? How the ice going west on the south side?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2009, 03:43 PM »
Naah...just went and bought Honey's Res tag and took the ride out of curiosity. I wouldn't go out on it and the kid told me they were probably gonna cancel the derby after the first day if the ice got worse. It was 47 degrees and the wind was screaming like a banshee. The whole edge of the lake (first pic) except in a few spots is covered with broken three-four inch thick ice pieces about the size of a kitchen table..."trapdoor" ice...if you walk on the edge of it, it dumps you into the lake then closes back and you can't get back out. Ice opposite side of the lake where you an I fished last year is a good 15-plus inches...at least that's what the guy told me Marv.  Don    LT/ISM  :tipup:

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Well I hope the ice holds for a few more weeks then I might give  it a try. Have'nt got to chase any lakers yet this season.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Me neither and my hair's on the line here, I'd love to see Terry get that GI stead of me, BTW, BD's going to Pinedale this wkd, if he says you know what is iced over, I'm going over there...gotta hit Higgins POint and the East Bar, Don  :'( :tipup:                                                LT/ISM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.