Author Topic: Ice Fishing Winnisquam?  (Read 3693 times)

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Winnisquam?
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:50 PM »
Hi All - just wondering about fishing Winnisquam. Has anyone been there recently? I have a neighbor who has a summer home there and we fish it a lot in June and July catching mostly large mount and an occasional rainbow near the dam. He asked if I wanted to ice fish it and said a lot of guys catch nice lakers, rainbows etc. My neighbor is a novice fisherman and never iced fished before so I'm asking around to see if anyone knows where to catch the lakers and rainbows.

Appreciate the help - Johnny Ringo

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
Re: Ice Fishing Winnisquam?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Don't know where your summer home is however when I fish Winnisquam, I launch out of Ahern state park and head south along that same shore line. I usually start at the furthest point and work my way back to Ahern. Always have done well along this path. Nice lakers for sure out of Winnisquam and I believe it holds a potential state record. Black Brook is also a good place to fish prior to the derby for rainbows and lakers.

Good Luck,
JIGGIN.

Offline Palm Tree

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Have gotten some nice lakers out of there in years past during the derby .   1 around 10 and the other around 12 so they r there.  Try the chanel by the shalimar if it is frozen shuld be this year though

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:03 AM »
Have gotten some nice lakers out of there in years past during the derby .   1 around 10 and the other around 12 so they r there.  Try the chanel by the shalimar if it is frozen shuld be this year though

Hi - Thanks for the help. Looking forward to fishing the lake and trying to land one of the big boys. Not sure what the "shalimar" is but I suspect you are referring to the no wake zone  channel between the lower and upper end of the lake, before or after bridge? What about just off the sand bar where the water drops off fast? Will also fish close to shore for some rainbows as I hear it produces some nice ones also? Any suggestions where to fish for the bows?

Thanks

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Me and the mrs fish Winnisquam for the derby and have found that the first hour in the morning is the best for rainbows and absolute silence is key.

when the circus arrives on the ice your better off going for lake trout at this point.

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:41 PM »
Fishing winnisquam next weekend for the derby and was wondering the conditions as of right now.  We rented a house on the water and will be there from thurs morning to sunday afternoon.  Just was thinking if its a mess now, how will it be by thurs.  Any help would be great.   Shaun

Offline luvtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Haven't been on winnisquam but like everything else lots of snow and there will be slush would not expect any change for seveal weeks.

Offline Palm Tree

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Hi - Thanks for the help. Looking forward to fishing the lake and trying to land one of the big boys. Not sure what the "shalimar" is but I suspect you are referring to the no wake zone  channel between the lower and upper end of the lake, before or after bridge? What about just off the sand bar where the water drops off fast? Will also fish close to shore for some rainbows as I hear it produces some nice ones also? Any suggestions where to fish for the bows?

Thanks
Hey yeah the shalimar is a hotel as you get to the lake off exit 20 through Tilton.    Hotel is on left side . Had verry good luck there over the years. Have tried fishing over by the bridge ( spider bridge i beleive it is called) no luck in 2 years there but real crappy ice conditions the 2 years two so ?  Moved to Alton this year not much luck there the last 2 weekends either though . had some good action early Jan but none since.   Good luck in the Derby.   

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Hi All:

Just a quick follow up on Winnisquam. Does anyone know how many traps or lines etc each person is allowed to fish. Some lakes (Newfound) only allow 2 per person. Also are there any other restrictions I should be aware of and where to find them?

Thanks

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:42 AM »
2 lines plus 6 cusk lines

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:48 AM »
Any1 have any spots they no of off of black brook rd.  Rented a house there and was hoping for some tips and help. Good luck to all this weekend.  Hope we can get some shantiers on the board!!!!!!! Thanks   shaun

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Any1 have any spots they no of off of black brook rd.  Rented a house there and was hoping for some tips and help. Good luck to all this weekend.  Hope we can get some shantiers on the board!!!!!!! Thanks   shaun

Where off black brook?

Offline shaun

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:54 AM »
I think its in the 200"s
Where off black brook?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.