Author Topic: ice fishing rainbows  (Read 387 times)

Offline steelhead666

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing rainbows
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:07 PM »
whats up all? i am starting to try and fish rainbows thro the ice and would like some help i am a panfish and walleye icefisher and just found a nice big pond with rainbows and browns in it can someone help me with what to use for bait and how deep to fish theis guys for and how to rig a tip up for them thanks sorry i am new to the site but u guys rock a very good site u guys have going here
jeffrey shepherd

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ice fishing rainbows
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Ten to twelve feet of water. Anything pink with some silver. I use a cast master with meal worms. Super lite line. Bottom fish with worms or sucker meat.

Offline Ceedubya

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Trout are basically all I fish for. Try small plastics such as 1 1/2 in tube jigs or even a curly tail grub. Foxie jigs by Artic fox work well for me. Paddle bugs, Ice flies, Rat finkee's Work well also. Always tip with wax, meal, or night crawler. If there are shrimp in the waters your fishing cocktail shrimp will work well. White is my preferred color or chartruse. Fish right of the bottom 6in to 3ft. Around here monster bows can be found very shallow. 3 to 4ft. Much slower fishing though. I use braided line with 4lb fluorocarbon leader. Jig on occasion but dead stick'n works best for me.

Hpoe this helps!   

Offline fishlord

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • worst day of fishing better than best day of work
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:14 PM »
welcome to the shanty steelhead,here in wyoming I use a 6 to 10 lb mono leader with a #6 or #4 trebble hook on the end and about 1/2 way up put a splitshot of what ever size you choose to just get your bait down to where you want it.we use live minnows here and just under the ice about 1'.we catch alot of trout here with that method.goodluck
Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.