The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Went fishing this morning. Cold weather, and plenty of fish.  (Read 497 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
My father and I headed out to a local lake in Jackson county to do some fishing for fun.  We already have enough fillets in the freezer so we decided just to go catchin and releasin.  It was as slow of a start as it was cold(when we first started the therm. read 4 degrees :o )  We did not have a shanty...  After fishing in about 20 water we decided to slowly make our way closer to shore and to look for some weedbeds.  Well we got into the fish about 40 yards from shore and they were SUSPENDED.  It was around 10-20ft range and the fish were on average of 5-6ft down.  We got into the numbers but not the size.  While looking for the bigger gills/any fish that would bite, my dad drilled a hole in about 13ft water and got into the bigger gills and PERCH.  When i say bigger gills i mean on a 6" average, but the perch were relatively small.  Well we continued to move around in the quest for the "one".  There were only 3 shantys on the lake and one of them was fishing a tip-up and the others were more than likely fishing for crappie.  Well while we were drillin more holes and just covering a good portion of the water i caught a 7" perch.  On the next drop i lost about a 12" perch at the hole.  After that the fish were bitting few and far in between, but we were Still Catching Fish!  As far as we knew we were doing the best on the lake besides the guy with he tip-up but he only caught around a 2lb bass. 

Well that was our day on the Ice, nothin special but loads of fun.  Anyone else go brave out the cold this morning?

Well thanks for reading,

Icefisher40

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Went fishing this morning. Cold weather, and plenty of fish.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:32 PM »
no but hopefully will  be  going  the  next  couple   of  days   practicing  4 winni  derby

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:41 PM »
Went late this am becuase I was lazy and it was cold!. Got to the lake about 9:30am and fished until 1:30 pm. Brought home 12 gills biggest 9.5 inches smallest 7 inches. One bonus crappie @ 12.5 inches. And a 9 inch sunnie.

Offline RangerTim

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Listen close you can hear them biting
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:27 PM »
It was cold this morning but I still had to get out and do some fishing.  I fished two different Lakes today ended up with close to a limit of border line Gills.  Went thru a bunch of fish,  I guess that is good practice for when the big fish want to bite.  All in all still fun just catching fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.