The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice Auger Blades  (Read 1304 times)

Offline JRSutton

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Auger Blades
« on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:26 AM »
I've got an eskimo auger, 10"

The blades are dulling and it's cutting VERY slow.   Seeing as how I also have to drill an addtional 5 for my young son - I'm spending waaaay too much time drilling (or is it augering... ?   ... or boring?) holes,  when I should be fishing...

The Quaboag derby is this saturday, and 'll be drilling at least 25 holes since I'll be bringing a few guests  (all of whom would be dangerous with a power tool of any type in their hands)  - I'll waste half my morning doing that if I don't change something.

I have three questions -

1.) Does anybody know of any local stores (worcester country, give or take) that carries replacement blades for eskimo (AND have them for the 10").   I've checked cabellas and bass pro shops web sites - no mention of them there, but I have not looked in person.   I have found other web sites that have them, but I'm afraid I won't get them for saturday.

2.) Has anybody had (good) luck sharpening these blades by hand?  And if so, are there any tricks to it?  I've had mixed results sharpening my hand auger blades in the past - and the last thing I want to do is make my auger slower for next weekend!

3.) Does anybody know of anybody local that knows what they're doing, and can sharpen them for a reasonable fee?  (worcester county - I'm in Sutton). 

Thanks for any info you give me.

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
Re: Ice Auger Blades
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Not sure of the eskimo set up but i sharpen my 10'' jiffy blade(flat serrated) with an oilstone,time consuming but it will sure cut.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:22 PM »
bobs bait on rt16 webster he sells eskimos he might have some blades or even sharpen the for ya

Offline IceMan4716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Dicks sporting goods in leominster has blade sharpeners not sure if it would work on the eskimo but deffinatly cheaper than replaceing the blade, the sharpener is olny about 15 bucks

Offline Scotty D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:36 PM »
i thinks dicks sells eskimos so i would try there leominster or worcester
just five more minutes!!! i swear there is one chasing that shiner right now!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:40 PM »
2.) Has anybody had (good) luck sharpening these blades by hand?  And if so, are there any tricks to it?  I've had mixed results sharpening my hand auger blades in the past - and the last thing I want to do is make my auger slower for next weekend!

Go get a decent inch wide file from home depot.  Make sure that it is for a "fine cut" which should only have one row of grooves, not the Kriss-Kross ones.  Go slow and maintain the exact angle that it has.  Do not push down too much as you will loose the angle.  Count the amount of times that you do an area and make sure that you repeat the same amount of stokes in other areas.

It should take you about 10-20 minutes and it will come out nice!
, , ,

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:42 PM »
How about Bass Pro?
MA

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:53 PM »

Go get a decent inch wide file from home depot.  Make sure that it is for a "fine cut" which should only have one row of grooves, not the Kriss-Kross ones.  Go slow and maintain the exact angle that it has.  Do not push down too much as you will loose the angle.  Count the amount of times that you do an area and make sure that you repeat the same amount of stokes in other areas.

It should take you about 10-20 minutes and it will come out nice!

Do exactly what he said then go out to the pond and try them.  Realize that it is almost impossible to keep the proper angle by hand and then go exchange your blades for some sharp ones.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline djb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:12 PM »
JRSutton- Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford has blades for all kinds of augers in stock. Give them a call at 508-473-9748. I've never had much luck sharpening my own auger blades. The best plan I've found is to send them back to Ardisam for sharpening and have an extra set on hand for situations like this. Ardisam, Inc. (the maker of Eskimo brand augers) address is 1690 Elm St. Cumberland, Wisconsin 5482. Phone 715-822-2415 or 800-345-6007. Website: www.ardisam.com  Good Luck.

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Do exactly what he said then go out to the pond and try them.  Realize that it is almost impossible to keep the proper angle by hand and then go exchange your blades for some sharp ones.

(Image removed from quote.)

Well I have the old style jiffy that does not have replacable blades and the old 9 inch still cuts.

I will say that it does take patience and a steady hand
, , ,

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Well I have the old style jiffy that does not have replacable blades and the old 9 inch still cuts.

I will say that it does take patience and a steady hand

I was just giving you the business NB.  Your one armed bandit is made to be sharpened by hand.  The newer styles are a bear, if not impossible, to do by hand. 

See you at The Cove on Feb. 7th?

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I was just giving you the business NB.  Your one armed bandit is made to be sharpened by hand.  The newer styles are a bear, if not impossible, to do by hand. 

See you at The Cove on Feb. 7th?

(Image removed from quote.)

gotcha..  which is why i'l try to keep this suicide machine going as long as I can!

I hope to make the cove, but I will have to wait until after this weekend to know for sure
, , ,

Offline JRSutton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2009, 05:16 PM »
JRSutton- Jerry's Bait and Tackle in Milford has blades for all kinds of augers in stock. Give them a call at 508-473-9748. I've never had much luck sharpening my own auger blades. The best plan I've found is to send them back to Ardisam for sharpening and have an extra set on hand for situations like this. Ardisam, Inc. (the maker of Eskimo brand augers) address is 1690 Elm St. Cumberland, Wisconsin 5482. Phone 715-822-2415 or 800-345-6007. Website: www.ardisam.com  Good Luck.

I posted this question a while ago, but wanted to follow up in case anybody else was looking for eskimo auger blades -

djb -  Jerry's bait and tackle did have them - THANK YOU for the recommendation!   I got the blades in time for the derby, and was able to drill 20 holes without having a heart attack.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.