Author Topic: Little Alaska is in the books as BRUTAL !  (Read 3809 times)

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Little Alaska is in the books as BRUTAL !
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Just got back from the second most brutal day of ice fishing in my thirty some odd years of hard water fishing. I was glad to meet up with Duck Doctor , Chiefbush  and Tim and Kieth, Laine and anyone else that we said hi to. Myself and Blindbass and another friend set up by the inlet in 44 fow  and had pretty good luck. We stayed until 2:30 and looked around and everyone else had already left. It was hardcore action at its best ! Temps were -8F and winds were around 25 mph to add up to about 25 - 35 below.I hope we do it again but under better conditions. If anyone wants to checkout Center Harbor Bay on Winni drop me a line ,  Lee   aka  huntr-
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Little Alaska is in the books as BRUTAL !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Oh ya I missed hooking up with knurren . I  will hold onto the feathers for you and we can fish soon.  LEE

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:24 PM »
Had a great time even though I only fished for a few hours. Ate some good food, hung out with cool people, and even caught one 17" laker. Looking forward to doing it again next year. Maybe we can get some place like spruce cone to rent out a group space and all stay at the same place.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:21 PM »
any pics or was it too cold to take out the camera
May your flags never have the bends

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Had a great time, from diggin out DD's sled numerous times to meetin some great people.  Nice to put a name with a face.  Set up around 7am and left at 10 am.  Just couldnt handle the cold anymore.  No portable so we were roughing it.  Anyway tried to take several photos but camera just wouldt work in the cold.  Missed one Laker, and caught one nice cusk.  Hey Knuren, grab Jibbs and head up to Umbagog with me one Sat.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:00 PM »
Yup that was pretty brutal fishing, i got 1 salmon. but off the ice i met some great people and got to share a realy good meal on sat night. when i got up this morning it was 20 below without the wind chill added. so to you guys that went out this morning and hauled cusk lines, my hats off to you :tipup:

james

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:33 PM »
Yes, it was cold...........BUT, it IS New Hampshire on the Canadian border. It was one of the best times I've had in a long, long time. I met some REALLY great people. It started later in the morning for my wife and me than it did for most others and right off the bat I drive the sled into a field of game wardens. I realize really fast that I forgot my stickers for my sled back at the truck. I pulled up to a warden and tole him what I had done. He told me I had to go and get it. I unhooked my ice fishing sled and made a bee line back to the truck. It was frigid and when I tried to get the stickers from the paper to the sled, it ripped. No problem though, I got both sides on and headed back. The wardens were all GONE. I was a little let down, because I wanted them to know I was legal. At any rate, I caught 0 fish but did manage a couple pics.

If you remember, Chiefbush (AKA Rene) said "look for the big "orange" suit.  Here he is!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

This is Duck Doctor, Laine, Knurren, and I think Tim. Jiffyman is in the green jacket in the background.

This is yours truly having a warm cup of coffee.

And this is Rhys, Laine's daughter. She was the youngest of the group and absolutely loves snowmobiles.

Times have NOT changed. PEOPLE have!!!

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:37 PM »
I can remember anout 25 years ago coming back to pittsburg from dixville notch with my ex wife one nite my dodge ramcharger froze solid just before colebrook The temp read 35 below it was midnight  Thank god some lady stopped and brought us to her house or we woukd have fruze to death I had pure antifreeze in the radiator But it didn't matter  IT REALLY IS A LITTLE Alaska  I.ll see you guys nextime
May your flags never have the bends

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:57 PM »
i wish I spent more time with you guys but we had to set up and get out of the wind. I didn't know that you left until 11:00 when I looked out of the portable and there you were gone. We hung out until 2:30 then packed up and headed south to warmer temps. My wife believes me now that my picture showed up thanks to lonbeard, which by the way I never got the pleasure of meeting . I hope to meet up with all of you again soon.    Lee   AKA  huntr-

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:11 PM »
knurren,I'm sorry I guess I didn't catch your name at first. I was goint to come right back to visit but I couldn't  get up the courage to ride over to you guys  in the sub artic weather. Anytime you want to fish the upper end of winni or any other parts of my area let me know. That goes for anybody else that I may have left out .  Lee   OH ya, Laine great hat!

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:33 PM »
well ...should i end it at that ..
            that my Friends was an adventure ..wow ..i really had a great fishing weekend a little light on the fishing but it was still great to see and finally meet allot of you guys brief as it was I'm still glad i made it up ..me and kissmybass enjoyed ourselves and even managed a few fish 2 cusk and 1 laker about 19 or 20  inches we almost out lasted hunter and his crew but their determination was a hair stronger than my frozen fingers were.of course i had the what was it flag also .me and kmb were in the house for about 20 minutes trying to thaw and muster up the courage to go out and pull up the tip ups and pack it up .when we finally got out i realized i had a flag up behind the house..got over to it and dug it out of the snow drift .and nothing !!!after retrieving about 150 yards of line ..all i could think was man it must have been a good 1.it took half my spool ..that fish was covering some ground ..what a bummer and my hands were on fire !!!! the 1 that got away .
     the only disappointment i had was a little lack of fishing time and that i didn't get to meet a few of the guys i wanted to like james and huntr and all the others i wasn't aware of that made it up..but like they said in star wars (i think ) we'll meet again 
                                          it was great seeing you all and i'm looking foward to the next event and hopfully getting a little more social time in with you all...
                                                   finless

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Absolutely, finless.  There would have been much more socializing if it weren't for the wind.  Hopefully next time we can plan around the weather a bit better.

Chiefbush had a similar situation with your last tip up.  Lots of line gone and when he got it to the hole... his bait was still on the hook  It was spooling when we got to it and he gave it a good hook set, but it seems the fish got off at some point anyway.  That's fishing....
  i know its fishing not catching lol but not knowing just kills me lol..it will bug me for years not knowing ..atleast until i catch somthing big anyways

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:21 PM »
I have to say, normally I would be disappointed to spend the money on an ice fishing trip and only get to fish a few hours but I had a really good time. I enjoyed meeting everyone that I met and not being the only fool out there in that wind, lol. I look forward to fishing with some of you again in the near future.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:41 PM »
There should be some kind of bumper sticker or shirt saying "I survived Lttle Alaska 2009|". Hats off to all that endured the weather. I't will be something to remember for years to come.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:15 PM »
I agree on all points; it was great to meet all of you, they were exceedingly ugly conditions, it wasn't enough time to fish, and I had to leave way too early. as it was,with all the stops we made coming home, the 2 1/2 hour trip took 6. Thanks especially to LBK for the starting fluid and advice, or I'd probably still be out there pulling on my starter cord. Zack was pretty cool too, the only person I've ever met who could go into a warm shanty, stay about 37 seconds, and come out smiling, assuring me that he was all warmed up, ready to join everyone else shivering around the windbreaks!  :clap:
 It was also the first time I've seen a foot or more tall snowdrift form on the lee side of a snowmobile in less than three hours, especially considering that it wasn't even snowing. :woot:
 I  wish my daughters were as hardy as DD's Pixie's[I hope that's right] little girl: not only was she game enough to be out on the ice with a smile, when I saw them later at the camp, she was on her way out to the truck, one sleeve of her jacket on, not waiting for anyone! She was ready to go, and the Devil take the hindmost!!!
and if you guys don't hurry up, you'll be left behind!!! :bow: :thumbsup:
I look forward to the next time, although I think Rainey is going to insist that DD actually set a trap or two :whistle: ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2009, 09:26 PM »
Hey Guys,

Well I guess I'm one of the last (of the people who attended) to post. Despite the wind/cold I had a great time. It was great to hook up again with some good friends and meet some new ones. My only regret was that I didn't get to spend more time and get to know some of you.

As always Ben/Laine, Tim/Kieko, John, Finless, KMB it was another one in the books ;D .....Chief/Zach, LBK/Mrs, Huntr, it was great to meet you and I look forward to the next time.  James, Rockhound I never got the chance to meet ya, but maybe next year ;)

Here's a few pics from Sunday Morning. Sat it was just too dang cold...

1st Lake, Heard from a local it was about -15 to -20 this morning.

Knurren with one of his Cusk

The DD with the laker caught on the cusk line ::)

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:09 AM »
I agree on all points; it was great to meet all of you, they were exceedingly ugly conditions, it wasn't enough time to fish, and I had to leave way too early. as it was,with all the stops we made coming home, the 2 1/2 hour trip took 6. Thanks especially to LBK for the starting fluid and advice, or I'd probably still be out there pulling on my starter cord. Zack was pretty cool too, the only person I've ever met who could go into a warm shanty, stay about 37 seconds, and come out smiling, assuring me that he was all warmed up, ready to join everyone else shivering around the windbreaks!  :clap:
 It was also the first time I've seen a foot or more tall snowdrift form on the lee side of a snowmobile in less than three hours, especially considering that it wasn't even snowing. :woot:
 I  wish my daughters were as hardy as DD's Pixie's[I hope that's right] little girl: not only was she game enough to be out on the ice with a smile, when I saw them later at the camp, she was on her way out to the truck, one sleeve of her jacket on, not waiting for anyone! She was ready to go, and the Devil take the hindmost!!!
and if you guys don't hurry up, you'll be left behind!!! :bow: :thumbsup:
I look forward to the next time, although I think Rainey is going to insist that DD actually set a trap or two :whistle: ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:

It was a fantastic time. When the Dr. was a little guy, he was on the impatient side. I had to constantly remind him that as hard as Dad tried, he had no control over the weather. I am glad I had the starting fluid with me and was very happy to see your sled start. I would not have left had I not seen that. Thanks to all who visited with my wife and me at Spruce Cone. I am really happy to have met you all and look forward to the next outing whereever it my be.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Nice Fish- Knurren, DD. ;) Did you enter them in the online derby? Looks cold, then again it was supposed to be little Alaska outing. Glad it lived up to it's name. Had I gone I would have stayed in the igloo and shot the breeze over the freeze.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:36 AM »
heres me and finless's 2 cusk (mines the bigger one) lol took the picture after i got home and thawed them out

Catch A Buzz

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Nice Fish- Knurren, DD. ;) Did you enter them in the online derby? Looks cold, then again it was supposed to be little Alaska outing. Glad it lived up to it's name. Had I gone I would have stayed in the igloo and shot the breeze over the freeze.

Spike

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:05 PM »
First thing Saturday morning my daughter and I were walking toward the area we were going to fish and a squall blew in and my daughter said "where did the other side of the lake go?"

I have sore spots on my cheeks. I think I may have a bit of frost bite.

It's no wonder knurren wasn't wearing a hat. After being out Saturday everything else seems like spring.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:20 PM »
this pic was at 8:00 Am -20 When i got up at 4:00 it was like 5 degrees colder 8)

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:33 PM »
LBK nice picture.  At least you got the best side of me!!!!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #23 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:05 PM »
it must of been tough to cook all that food you guys were bringing.......it looked cold, but i am sure you still had some fun.....did you get through that 25 pounds of american chop suey......lol........k nurren.......knurren jeness sunday????send me a pm
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2009, 05:17 PM »
There was no way in hell we could cook on the ice.  my propane wouldnt even burn without warming it first. but we did eat some slop suey in the cabin.

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:19 PM »
me and finless managed to cook some cambells chunkey soup well we were out there warmed us up for a little while  ;D

Catch A Buzz

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2009, 07:22 PM »
We were able to cook up some deer backstrap that I had marinaded in creole butter. I wanted to pass some out to everyone but you all left , so we made the sacrifice and gorged ourselves. Delicious !!!   And the coffee with dewers wasn't bad either.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Well, I managed to ride my horse into town where they have this wonderful thing called the internet!

Many of you successfully experienced what Little Alaska has to offer! The sheer power of the north country showed us who was boss!  I also would have liked to spend more time with everyone that showed. I also want to thank everyone that did show! 

It was unfortunate that the weather sucked like it did on Saturday because Sunday was perfect! I did manage to get some frostbite somehow on my left cheek (face.....not the rear cheak).

Again, I would like to extend my thanks to everyone that did show!

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2009, 07:30 PM »
We may all have been complaining at the time but now its braggin rights  ! What an adventure .

Offline longbeardking

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:15 AM »
We may all have been complaining at the time but now its braggin rights  ! What an adventure .

There was NOTHING to complain about. I say again, you can't control the weather.  You take what you get and make the most out of it. I know I enjoyed meeting everyone.  The BIGGEST surprise was having so many folks come to our place at Spruce Cone and share some food, drink, and conversation.  My wife and I would do it all again in a heart beat. Thanks to all for a great time. Another day to remember!!!!! ;D :tipup: ;D :tipup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.