The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: cell phones and iceholes  (Read 4770 times)

Offline newberry kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
cell phones and iceholes
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:38 PM »
 Howdy boys, yesterday me and my pal Icy Jay were out doin a little ice fishin when I bent over to clear
 my hole when my cell phone decided to slip out of my pocket and find the bottom of the pond!  luckily it was
only 5 foot deep and with the help of Icy Jays extendo ice scoop I took my shirt of and retrived it from the bottom of its icy grave!!! Alas, I still cant get it to work. Has this happened to anyone else, or am I the only DUMMY!!!
 Good fishin and see you sunday at RV. Find the Pirate Flag and you'll find Us. See ya, Newberry

Offline ohioholepuncher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater extremist
Re: cell phones and iceholes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:49 PM »
mines at the bottom of erie  >:( no way to get it back LOL those holes are like big funnels i lost a whole thing of split shots today.

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:05 PM »
will  make me think twice where to put my phone when i head out tomorrow

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:21 PM »
I take a small pack, everything goes in it, car keys, etc. zipped up and safe from those kind of mistakes.
Imagine being stuck out on a lake in the middle of nowhere without your car keys or cell phone, long cold
walk back to civilization.

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Yep, my phone is laying at the bottom of my lake, good riddens, piece of crapt it was, good excuse to get me a new one - got me a samsung that is waterproof up to 30 feet and shockproof.  I actually threw my new phone in a bucket of water to test it, sure enough, never needed to dry it out to keep it working.  I'd suggest to every fisherman out there to invest in one, I've dropped mine in the drink too many times.

\Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Yep, my phone is laying at the bottom of my lake, good riddens, piece of crapt it was, good excuse to get me a new one - got me a samsung that is waterproof up to 30 feet and shockproof.  I actually threw my new phone in a bucket of water to test it, sure enough, never needed to dry it out to keep it working.  I'd suggest to every fisherman out there to invest in one, I've dropped mine in the drink too many times.

\Dr. JM
Now they need waterproof phones that float >:(
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:58 AM »
Never lost a phone in the drink, however my zippo is at the bottom of Minsi

Offline Semper Fi

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing? Hunting? So many decisions!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 07:46 AM »
Did the same thing three years ago with my Digital camera....... in front of 5 or 6 guys! Still gettin reports of flashes going off in that lake. This is the stuff legends are made of!   ::) 
I worked all my life so I could retire to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!!!

icewagon

« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Generally speaking , no need to retrieve it from the bottom of the lake its toast anyway. My wife ran mine through the washing machine, I paid the deductable on the insurance and on a fri. it came UPS. On Sun. I went to church but got sick during the service ,so when I got home I did not take my wallet ,my keys or my cell out of my pants pocket, she got the keys and the wallet but the cell took another ride through the washer, just 2 day after getting it.  :P

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 10:58 AM »
i dont know how many times the rubber case on my phone save it, i put in my chest pocket that zips up and i will use the phone and forget to zipper it up. the rubber case keeps it in the pocket. i dont know what i would do if i lost my phone in the water.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Mine stays in a zippered pocket in my one piece suit. Wish I had more zippered pockets I wouldn't  lose other things either.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline yukon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • leaving the ice sometimes as hard as going to work
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:32 PM »
I got a call while cuttin a hole and put the phone in the top pocket of my bibs fished a while decided to anchor down the clam and when I bent down to unzip the door, down goes the cell through the hole in twenty fow. Learned the hard way.  :o

Offline Crappyice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:44 AM »
I lost mine flyfishing.  Took one step too many and waders filled, flooding my phone and worse my keyless entry pad to the car.  Needed to wait for the mrs. to drive a second set of keys two hours away.  She was pissed!

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:11 PM »
May I ask why all you guys needs phones with you when you're fishing, I go fishing to get away from phones.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:44 AM »
how else do you call your buddy that slept in to say..'dude...they are biting like crazy'...even when they arent....

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:51 AM »
May I ask why all you guys needs phones with you when you're fishing, I go fishing to get away from phones.
I take a phone for emergencies, wether it be my own or somebody else. Lots of things can happen out there. I did throw a pair of skinning pliers into the Missouri River, skinning a catfish lost my grip and threw them right over the side. That's all I've lost so far, knock on wood.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:36 PM »
Today i became a member of this club >:( my cel phone is at the bottom of Hunter run cut. (Sayers Dam ) bent over to grab a rod it fell out of my bib's hit the ice opened up and drifted out of site. I hope the fish call me when there hungry again.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I hope the fish call me, now that was funny. Got a good chuckle out of that john! :roflmao:
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline salmonrebel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ya' gotta kill it !, To grill it !
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Bent over a hole once, to set a tip-up. When I did, the 'rocks in my head' fell out! :o  Retrieved what I thought were the rocks in my head. Must of got a couple that weren't, also. Because I haven't been the same since! ;D

WHACK'EM!!! AN STACK'EM!!!

Offline mako003

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:28 PM »
The big problems with carrying a phone in your pocket is if and when you go thur the ice 9 out of 10 times its done
 mine is kept on the sled for when needed

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:39 PM »
I got in the sons pool with the 1 yr old grandaughter last year ( she got me wraped around her little finger) i had shorts on so figuurd what the heck . i made sure i took the wallet money and keys out but remembered when looked for my phone when i got home it was in the other back pocket Needless to say no more calls on that phone but it was worth every cent it cost to replace it  makin her happy.

Offline pa.bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I hope the fish call me when there hungry again.
thats good :roflmao:  :clap:
got ice?

Offline Baxter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:48 PM »
My new phone I got for christmas is at the bottom of Kahle in 18' of water.Just got done talking to gf and my heater went out.I bent over to grab the heater and plop nothing but water no bounce off the ice.I saw something red and said oh s**t and watched it go down on my vex.I lost a pair of glasses about 25 years ago also.
HAVE A CRAPPIE DAY

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:00 PM »
Yep I lost mine when I fell in at Lock 7 last season.  Sometimes if you take the battery out and the cover off,  don't turn it on for 24-48 hours it will dry out and work. I didn't  get the chance to cuz my wife tried to get it to work. Once you do that they are fried !!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline sunfish101

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:16 PM »
My dad was checking his depth at peter creek this year and his phone went down the hole he tried to grab it but just missed. :'( :'( Now he has a water proof phone but it doesn`t help you if it don`t float haha
Flags Up!!!! sunfish101

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:39 PM »
 :roflmao: I like to take pictures with my phone and send the pics to buddies that couldn't make it out!   :tipup:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Today i became a member of this club >:( my cel phone is at the bottom of Hunter run cut. (Sayers Dam ) bent over to grab a rod it fell out of my bib's hit the ice opened up and drifted out of site. I hope the fish call me when there hungry again.
Got a call today on my new phone sounded like( BLOOOOOP BLOOOOOP BLOOOOOOP) so i headed for the lake and sure enough the bite was on .  ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :icefish: :icefish:( thank you fish) HA HA HA

Offline FishinHardWater

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keepin it on the dry side since 2000
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:02 PM »
mine is in the bottom of lake hopatcong in new jersey. i was talking to a friend holding the phone with my shoulder up to my ear, and setting a tipup at the same time.  phone somehow found its way right into the hole when it dropped

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2009, 08:40 PM »
:roflmao: I like to take pictures with my phone and send the pics to buddies that couldn't make it out!   :tipup:
Thats what im talking about.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:30 PM »
a guy at a icefishing party the other day lost his blackberry down the hole.  they tried calling it but the user could not be located. 

i never lost a cell phone but i did loose my very expensive leatherman down the hole this year in a shallow lake with a very mucky bottom. 

JM

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.