Author Topic: Quick Strike Rigs?  (Read 877 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Quick Strike Rigs?
« on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:23 PM »
Im thinking about buying a couple quick strike rigs for tip up pike..Might help but also it might injure more fish beyond rehabilitation? Also, might hinder the movement of my minnow.. Anyone else use these? How do they work? Recommend them??

Thanks, Jake

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
Re: Quick Strike Rigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:44 PM »
If you type "Quick strike rigs" in the Search for Ice Shanty you'll get 27 pages of info
;)
Here's a quick link for ya:
SEARCH
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:52 PM »
They work great,true huge fish will swallow any rig,caught a 42 inch northern that took 18 inches of steel leader just outside of his nose last year. I got to the flag in about 30 seconds after it went up.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:50 PM »
if you are fishing for pike, i honestly don't think it matters what type of rig you use.  even the smallest pike will swallow the biggest rig you have.  i have also seen big pike only get lip hooked on a small rig.  quick strike rigs are always a good bet though, i usually only use them for dead bait, but a lot of people use them for big live shiners.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:17 AM »
Im thinking about buying a couple quick strike rigs for tip up pike..Might help but also it might injure more fish beyond rehabilitation? Also, might hinder the movement of my minnow.. Anyone else use these? How do they work? Recommend them??

Thanks, Jake

I guess using a big circle hook would be the best way to reduce the chance of hurting a pike.  A circle hook hooked just under the skin on the back of the minnow should let the minnow live all day.  Or just near the anal fin so that the minnow will have to fight to remain right side up would be even better.  Just let the line tighten up as the pike is swimming away.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:52 AM »
They are called quick strike rigs because you set the hook right away instead of letting a fish run with it. I use them when I use dead smelt for bait. With live bait I usually use a treble hook or circle hook.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:47 PM »
you wont have anymore prob with quickstrike just better hooking :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2009, 10:28 AM »
well i had some big 7-8 inch shiners and i had a hard time setting the hook using a #2 treble. So after a few missed fish i had to start letting them make 2 or 3 runs before setting it. So ill probably try a couple quick strike rigs

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:30 PM »
well i had some big 7-8 inch shiners and i had a hard time setting the hook using a #2 treble.

#2 trebles are a bit big for pike in my opinion.  I normally rig my shiners with a #6 or #8... I've tried quick strike rigs but I do just as well with one single, small treble and a spinner blade.

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:49 PM »
I use them because in MN you can not use just a plain treble hook and minnow, it must be part of a "lure."  They work well, but you really should get to them quickly. 

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:12 PM »
If you type "Quick strike rigs" in the Search for Ice Shanty you'll get 27 pages of info
;)
Here's a quick link for ya:
SEARCH

I really hope you took the time to search for this topic..Quick Strike Rigs here at Iceshanty.

You would really have a whole Library of info + pictures to help you.
 I realize that the folks here are trying to lead you in the right direction, & so far have been doing great! :)
 But , if you don't take the time to even mention that you tried to look into the old topics regarding this subject. Can you really expect many folks to give you much more info than the stuff that they already took the time to pass on, in earlier topics?? There's a lot of info here that's already been passed...

I , may be only speaking for myself... and I would like to help out more... But, Since I was one of many that have spent some time typing info out to answer questions like yours, I'd think that checking out the past info would be worth your while....
;)

I'll say no more on this..I've probably said more than I should...

Good Luck & I hope you find the info you're trying to get.
:)
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.