Author Topic: How do the Lowrance X67 C Ice Machines handle extreme cold temps?  (Read 11589 times)

bigric

I have looked at the machine at the Lowrance website and it looks like it has a flasher mode.I would like to know how it would work out on the ice,without being in a warm shanty. I like the part about   changing the transducer over to soft water fishing.Seems to be money well spent,if it can be used all year long.Add another $100.00 and have a built-in GPS system --Wow! I can't find any reviews on this product yet.Any help or info. would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
I bought the Lowrance X67c Ice machine, and I have used it one time.  Lowrance indicates that the unit should not be stored in temps lower than -4 degrees farenheit, but it can be used in temps down to -22 farenheit.  I've seen other forums where people from Minnesota, North Dakota, etc. make a big deal about this fact.  Because I live in PA, I'm not worried about it at all.  I believe the lowest temp EVER recorded at the Srcanton/Wilkes-Barre Airport (near where I live) was -21.  The coldest high temp ever recorded was -2.  Also, because the unit has no motor like other flashers, the battery life is relatively long, so I would say you can leave it turned on and be good to -22 even in transit.

I am very happy with the unit.  It has a real-time flasher, and you can choose about four or five color options (white background, blue background, nightview [green & black], etc.).  The flasher also has a split zoom option like a Vex, or you can set a specific high/low depth range and choose either a 2x or 4x zoom to monitor anywhere in the water column like the Marcum. 

Lowrance specifically says that the flasher is real time.  They also say that the "hyperscroll" ping speed option provides "instantaneous" readings in the graph mode.  The graph mode also has a split-zoom option.  I would have to agree with them.  I was jigging with a small bait in 40 ft. of water, and I could see my bait move instantly in the graph mode.  The scroll provides a history of what happens, so you can "read" your jigging action sort of like watching a heartbeat on an EKG.

I had no trouble reading the screen in direct, bright sunlight.  In fact, it looked better in the sun than in the shadows.  There is an adjustable backlight to suit your preference.

I don't usually fish close to many people with electronics, so I have no experience with the interference adjustment, which Lowrance terms "ASP" (advanced signal processing). 

Thorne Bros is selling the unit with a free summer transom mount transducer (about a $60 dollar value) while supplies last.  I receieved my order from them in four days.  I spoke with two knowledgable people at Thorne Bros.  One guy said he likes the X67c, but still prefer the Vex.  Another guy said that he prefers the X67c.  The guy who liked the Vex said that that is what he is used to, but for someone like me who was buying their first electronics, the X67c would work out fine.  I told them that they were getting my sale on either one of the units, so I wanted an honest opinion without the threat of losing a sale.

If you have any other questions, send me a personal message.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
I've been using the x67c. I had no problem with it at -15, started up bright and clear right away. The menu is easy to go through once you've done the sequences a few times. I've used it shallow and deep with all size jigs and have been able to ID the lure fine. In direct bright light the colors don't come out as strong; that may just be the sunglasses I wear. I do get considerable interference from other units close by, and can't find any rejection control; I've learned to read around it, though. Overall, I'm very pleased with the electronics.

The packaging sucks, though! The transducer support rod is a line tangle waiting to happen. Lose it and put the cable directly through the locking nut. The support arm comes off the base easily, the transducer is tough to stow in short transit, and the front flap zipper ices up. The flap on mine is already cracked from having to bend it out of the way in the cold.

Some plusses and minusses, but it does the job for my needs.

Fidel_Casserole

I ran across a video on jigging rapalas the other day and was wondering if this is the same flasher as your lowrance?

http://easylink.playstream.com/baydenoccharters/010905_1_fish_jigging_how_to-1.wvx

In case the link above doesn't work.

http://www.monsterwalleye.com/fishingreports.shtml

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Well, so far this year I've sold 27 x67c's and x68c's, & I've had 7 come back w/ cracked screens from freezing.  Does that answer your question?

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
I've used Lowrance LCD fishfinders for 15 years on the ice.  I've had an X50, an X60, and an X85.  None of them have ever had any problems in the cold.  Down to -10.  I don't leave them out in the cold though.  I keep them in the cab of the truck on the way to the fishing hole.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
   I've had my Ice Machine for 3 yrs and really love it. There are many nice advantages and features it has over the flashers and yes I am a former Vexilar owner. Gotta say I've never had and trouble with cold at all but the lowest temp. I've ever fished in without some sort of shelter was -20F and it was just way to much trouble dealing with the cold and trying to keep the holes from icing over. That was too cold for me let alone anything colder, I'll take a nice seat with the heater going inside my flip over with my gloves off and jacket open but hey that's my choice. In any case if you do want to run tipups in ultra cold and you need the finder to plot bottom or scan for fish you can start a dry chemical handwarmer or 2 and roll them up in a pr of heavy socks and stick em in a 5 gal. bucket with the finder when not in use or for transport, just punch a few holes say 1/2" dia or so to let a little air in. Don't use to tight fitting of a lid so that it freezes shut.

Spin

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Well, so far this year I've sold 27 x67c's and x68c's, & I've had 7 come back w/ cracked screens from freezing.  Does that answer your question?
It would be hard to believe that they cracked from freezing.  It might have been from some other abuse, but not from freezing.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
    I'm inclined to agree, I've left 3 different standard LCD units on my boat and stowed away in the cabin when temps dipped below -38F. I'm sure these finders would not have worked for beans but the screens on none of them cracked and neither did the LCD display in the dash of my truck or does the display on my cycle that's stored in an unheated garage and the X67's crystal display is Less affected by cold than a standard LCD display.

Spin

Offline Medic118

• IceShanty Rookie
I have had mine for three years and have no problems with freezing or lagging. I have had it out in below zero weather. The customer service is excellent I had a problem with my unit and they replaced with no hassles. There is a demo on the lowrance website that will allow you to see and use the different settings.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have looked at the machine at the Lowrance website and it looks like it has a flasher mode.I would like to know how it would work out on the ice,without being in a warm shanty. I like the part about   changing the transducer over to soft water fishing.Seems to be money well spent,if it can be used all year long.Add another $100.00 and have a built-in GPS system --Wow! I can't find any reviews on this product yet.Any help or info. would be appreciated. Thanks

If I had to pay full price wouldn't  get the M68 but I got it from the Bargain cave at Cabelas for 249.00. GPS is pretty basic, no card reader, not much detail on map but pretty good navigation functions, but the sonar is great once you get it set up right. Third season, no problems with freezing, cracked screens, (you sure these guys aren't just clumsy?) or lag, the battery lasts forever.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
I've used mine several times when the temp was below -4 without any problems. I've also left my LCD units outside all winter with temps below -10 and never had any of the screens crack. Sounds like someone abused the units, then returned them. Its a pretty common retail fraud tactic to abuse something then return it to get money back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.