New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Odd Fish On Jig in Lake George  (Read 4988 times)

Offline 200013964

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heritage Laker
Odd Fish On Jig in Lake George
« on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:50 AM »
Does anyone know what this may be ?

Had a Fat head, and a fin that ran the length of it's back, the eyes on top, and side fins that fan out quite a bit.

Caught it Yesterday.

Thanks,
Tim

Offline flyman1002

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Odd Fish On Jig in Lake George
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Looks like a sculpin to me.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Sculpin

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline 200013964

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Heritage Laker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:04 AM »
I knew I could get the answer here.

Thanks guys.
Tim

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:05 AM »
Lakers love them ;)

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:59 AM »
Sculpin. Cool. ;D

I would love to have one in a tank for a bit.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:06 AM »
Does anyone know what this may be ?

(Image removed from quote.)

Had a Fat head, and a fin that ran the length of it's back, the eyes on top, and side fins that fan out quite a bit.

Caught it Yesterday.

Thanks,
Tim
That be laker candy  ;D

Offline reubenpa

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:23 AM »
lakers go nuts over them!!!! :o :o :o :o :o

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:30 AM »
could you legally use them for bait?

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:34 AM »
I think as long as you use them in the water you catch them you are ok?

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:42 AM »
wow looks almost like a gobbie  Are they even in lake LG
very similar

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:44 AM »
it is def. a sculpin :)

no gobies in LG.   yet :(

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:27 AM »
its a sculpin, like coldbum said, the lakers do love them.  they live around the rocks and in the grass beds.  I've even caught big perch that spit them up.  One of the most common and widely distributed fish species in the state and a good indicator of excellent water quality.

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:35 AM »
its a sculpin, like coldbum said, the lakers do love them.  they live around the rocks and in the grass beds.  I've even caught big perch that spit them up.  One of the most common and widely distributed fish species in the state and a good indicator of excellent water quality.

I don't know about the water quality part ??? I've netted them below lock 7 on the Mohawk and that is definitely not what I would call quality water....quality fishing, but not quality water.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I don't know about the water quality part ??? I've netted them below lock 7 on the Mohawk and that is definitely not what I would call quality water....quality fishing, but not quality water.

cool.  they are considered an indicator species.  Finding them in a stream is considered indicative of the stream being able to support trout.  when we electrofished streams in college to determine if they held trout, if we found sculpins, we catagorized the stream as able to support trout.   Obviously the lower mohawk gets too warm for trout, but although it may be turbid alot of the time, the water quality is quite good for a large, heavily developed river.

Here's a quote from the IOWA DNR;
The mottled sculpin has often been called a "trout indicator" and usually where there are sculpin populations, the water generally holds trout as well. Trout fishermen sometimes use mottled sculpins for bait when they are fishing for large brown trout.
http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/iafish/mottscul.html

Offline jeg in albany

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Wellsy,

I would describe the water quality below Lock 7 on the Mohawk as "interesting".  

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Good post  Big Red very informative

Offline Wellsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release...keep only what you need.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:45 PM »
cool.  they are considered an indicator species.  Finding them in a stream is considered indicative of the stream being able to support trout.  when we electrofished streams in college to determine if they held trout, if we found sculpins, we catagorized the stream as able to support trout.   Obviously the lower mohawk gets too warm for trout, but although it may be turbid alot of the time, the water quality is quite good for a large, heavily developed river.

Here's a quote from the IOWA DNR;
The mottled sculpin has often been called a "trout indicator" and usually where there are sculpin populations, the water generally holds trout as well. Trout fishermen sometimes use mottled sculpins for bait when they are fishing for large brown trout.
http://www.iowadnr.com/fish/iafish/mottscul.html

O.K and good link...I checked that out.
You are obviously more educated on the subject than I am, but I think we are referring to different opinions on what quality water is. Yours is an educated one sharing information in reference to the question asked. Mine is just the response from first hand experience of seeing sculpin in the same water with six legged frogs and bullhead that have three lips and tumors the size of golf balls.  :sick:

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:28 PM »
never heard of or seen one of these before....is it kind of like a mud puppy??

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:03 AM »

wikipedia says:

The mottled sculpin, Cottus bairdii, is a freshwater sculpin (family Cottidae) found widely although unevenly throughout North America.

As the name suggests, its coloration is a combination of bars, spots, and speckles randomly distributed. The large pectoral fins are banded. The first dorsal fin is made of slender and somewhat soft spines, and just barely joins with the second dorsal. Maximum length is 15 cm.

It feeds primarily on aquatic insect larvae, but will also eat crustaceans, small fish, fish eggs, and some plant material. In turn, the sculpin is preyed upon by other fish, notably trout. Favored habitat is well-oxygenated and clear water, such as over gravel riffles in mountain streams, springs, and along rocky lake shores.

Spawning takes place during early winter and late spring. The male's head becomes darker, and he selects a protected nest site, such as under a rock or ledge. After courtship, the female enters the nest, turns upside down, and deposits her eggs on the ceiling, where they adhere. Typically several females will deposit eggs in a nest, then the male fertilizes and guards them, fanning the eggs with his pectoral fins.

Mottled sculpin occurrence is discontinuous in its range. It is widespread from the Tennessee River north to Labrador, while separate populations are found in the Missouri River, the Columbia River system in southern Canada, and the Bonneville system of the Great Basin.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:34 PM »
Wellsy,

I would describe the water quality below Lock 7 on the Mohawk as "interesting".  

I grew up right near Lock 7 on the Niskayuna side...  That water is interesting, indeed.  I spent more time than I would like to admit jumping off the Rexford Bridge or swimming along the cliffs by the bike path.  As you can see from the photo below, the water quality must be good, since I seem to have turned out alright:

"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:42 PM »
LMAO :roflmao:

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:07 PM »
I think as long as you use them in the water you catch them you are ok?

Looks like a spoonhead scuplin, they are endangered like the deepwater scuplin. Can't use them for bait or your fish tank. :( :(
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.