Author Topic: Harvey gap  (Read 1446 times)

Offline gullunkerson

• IceShanty Rookie
Harvey gap
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Hit HG early Sunday, started at the west dam area and drilled a bunch of holes shallow to deep along the west to north shoreline, using small jigs and swedish pimples tiped with mousees, no bites and nothing on the vex. Moved east to the flats out from the beach, again drilled a bunch and offered what usually works elsewhere, nothing but small male perch.
Worked eastward punching holes and jigging, real slow work. Ended the day at the old channel out from boat ramp in 45', managed to get a few female perch of good size around 2 pm till 4pm then shut off for the evening. Stayed till dusk jigging a chubby darter hoping for a little extra but nothing. A real beautiful but slow day. Did manage to drive over to Rifle Gap, quite a few people on the ice for the tourney.
keep punch'en holes till ya find'em

Offline pleasureseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Harvey gap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:09 AM »
My son and I were at the tournament at RG, both days.  He proceeded to show the old man up, as he was in fourth place in the 10yrs. and under division for perch at the end of the day on Sat.  The action really slowed down for us on Sun.  How about all those brave folks at the inlet end?  RIGHT NEXT TO THE OPEN WATER!  We were where the ice was a little thicker.  If my son wasn't with me, I'd have been down there, too.  But, since he was, I thought I'd play it safe.  Sounds like HG was a little slow, too.  I'm heading there immediately after work, tomorrow.  Thanks for the info.  I'm planning on trying near where you were catching those larger ones.  Will let you know how I do.

Offline brown-time

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig one up for me
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:56 PM »
We were there at HG Sunday too, we were the big group off the swim beach point with 3 quickflips and a Shapell hut, about 10 of us.  Was a slow day compared to last time, we each caught several, some to 13" pigs, but fewer overall. One guy caught 15, most around 10.
No crappie this time, shoulda been over by the point south of the boat ramp or close to where you ended up, they did a lot better over there.  I got spooled by a big pike, the line on the new Windlass tip-up wasn't tied off and when I ran over the line was just disappearing down the hole.  Cleaned a 8" perch bait and a big quickstrike rig. AAAAAAAAAAArrrgghh!! >:(

Offline gullunkerson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 08:31 AM »
Yea, saw your crew as I worked my way east. that must have been you that was hustling toward's shore after your flag tipup:. Too bad about the miss, those spools don't hold much line, but I bet you will stay closer to your tip-up next time eh? The group out from the ramp did well on perch, it was my first trip to HG, and it's going to take a couple more trips to figure the lake out.
keep punch'en holes till ya find'em

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.