Author Topic: Laker on NH reg. cusk fishing device?  (Read 6182 times)

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
Laker on NH reg. cusk fishing device?
« on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Just curious if this has happened to anyone else, and if it is anything more than a freak occurence.  Yeah, there's a one ounce weight fixed six inches above bait, and no spool to allow run, but with a big old live shiner flopping around close to the bottom in the dark & and a bit of slack line fed out, this must happen from time to time.  I'm assuming its legal to take the fish? 

Offline LT-taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Laker on NH reg. cusk fishing device?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2009, 06:59 PM »
I used to use cut sucker meat on some of my cusk lines, but I got away from it because of all the lakers I was getting... I don't think it that uncommon to get trout on these set-ups...And I might be wrong, but I think if You do catch anything but a cusk, it has to be released..
Work....... Plenty of time for that in the summer...

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Anything other than a cusk caught on a cusk fishing device must immediately be released.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:15 PM »
there is no question about it nothing other than cusk can bee kept all other species must be immediatly released !!two years ago my great neice got a 9 lb laker on a cusk line derby weekend and it broke her heart but the fish was released and she now understands that she did the right thing !!

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »
dont forget new for 09

The use of cusk fishing devices is restricted to the following waters: First Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Second Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Third Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Lake Francis (Pittsburg), Lovell Lake (Wakefield), Merrymeeting Lake (New Durham), Newfound Lake (Bristol, Alexandria, Bridgewater, Hebron), Ossipee Lake (Freedom/Ossipee), Silver Lake (Madison), Big Squam Lake (Holderness, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Moultonboro), Little Squam Lake (Holderness, Ashland), South Pond (Stark), Sunapee Lake (Newbury, New London, Sunapee), Waukewan Lake (Meredith), Wentworth Lake (Wolfboro), Lake Winnipesaukee (Alton, Center Harbor, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro), and Winnisquam Lake (Belmont, Sanbornton, Laconia, Tilton, Meredith).

The use of shad or whitefish as bait for cusk is prohibited.

and I have heard this before too but I just searched the whole 09 fish regs and cant find anything on other fish than cusk on cusk lines ha ve to be released
 if some one can find it please let me know the page #

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:00 PM »
I would say it is not legal and the fish must be released.  Since it is a cusk device and not a lake trout device.  Cusk devices are in addition to whatever amount of ice fishing devices you may have on a given body of water.  Ice fishing devices do not include cusk devices and vice versa, therefore, any fish other than a cusk caught on a cusk device must be released.  In addition to that, if a cusk device is left out over night and a laker takes the bait, technically the laker was caught during the time of day when it is not legal to fish for lake trout.

For the official word, I would e-mail fish and game.  But I believe their take on it will be similar to mine.  It does happen.  I do know of someone who caught a large salmon on a cusk device and the fish was released unharmed.

By this logic, is a cusk caught on something other than a Cusk Fishing Device legally kept?  Have had that happen too.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:06 PM »
the freshwater digest only states guidelines and rules, not law.  a missprint is possible.
in the ole days the f&g supplyed a lawbook with statutes and numbers for  the rule.
im sure you could still get one but you would have to pay for it, or ask your lawyer to read his copy
id bet they get more fine money now they supply the general public with general guidelines .
where as you may be correct i dont find where is says you cannot keep a laker caught on a cusk set i wouldnt advise trying it
  better email concord , but like stated its a cusk devise.  also it dose state no movement of bait .

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:08 PM »
By this logic, is a cusk caught on something other than a Cusk Fishing Device legally kept?  Have had that happen too.
yes it just a fish caught on one of your fish lines . its leagaly kept also you may catch them jigging, on one of your regular lines,

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:05 PM »
the freshwater digest only states guidelines and rules, not law.  a missprint is possible.
in the ole days the f&g supplyed a lawbook with statutes and numbers for  the rule.
im sure you could still get one but you would have to pay for it, or ask your lawyer to read his copy
id bet they get more fine money now they supply the general public with general guidelines .
where as you may be correct i dont find where is says you cannot keep a laker caught on a cusk set i wouldnt advise trying it
  better email concord , but like stated its a cusk devise.  also it dose state no movement of bait .

And they call it (in some parts) Lawyer Fish!  Touche!  Fascinating, thank you.  The devil does live in the details.

Offline NHRenegade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:17 PM »
Here are all of the statutes in Title 18 (Fish and Game) although there are other statutes that may apply depending on the situation:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/NHTOC/NHTOC-XVIII.htm

These are only laws however, not "regulations" (such as seasons and limits) which Fish and Game has the authority to set and enforce by statute.

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:55 AM »
here is a copy of the email I have sent to Region 2 of the F&G ( lakes region )   I will let you all know what is sent back to me

I  reside in Meredith NH and a few of us fellow ice fishing addicts have been pondering over the rules and regs of anything but a cusk caught on a cusk trap to exclude a salmon, is it legal to keep the fish or must it be released

I have search the 2009 New Hampshire  freshwater fishing digest and have only found the following on cusk regulations  not including the interstate rules that I have omitted

page 6 ..

Added Lovell Lake (Wakefield), Merrymeeting Lake (New Durham), Ossipee Lake (Freedom/Ossipee), Waukewan Lake (Meredith), and Wentworth Lake (Wolfeboro) to the list of waterbodies where the use of cusk fishing devices is permitted.

page 12 ..

Ice fishing device: Any device used to take fish through the ice, including a tip-up, jig stick, rod in hand or handline, exclusive of a cusk fishing device.

page 16 ..

The use of cusk fishing devices is restricted to the following waters: First Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Second Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Third Connecticut Lake (Pittsburg), Lake Francis (Pittsburg), Lovell Lake (Wakefield), Merrymeeting Lake (New Durham), Newfound Lake (Bristol, Alexandria, Bridgewater, Hebron), Ossipee Lake (Freedom/Ossipee), Silver Lake (Madison), Big Squam Lake (Holderness, Center Harbor, Sandwich, Moultonboro), Little Squam Lake (Holderness, Ashland), South Pond (Stark), Sunapee Lake (Newbury, New London, Sunapee), Waukewan Lake (Meredith), Wentworth Lake (Wolfboro), Lake Winnipesaukee (Alton, Center Harbor, Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Wolfeboro), and Winnisquam Lake (Belmont, Sanbornton, Laconia, Tilton, Meredith).

page 17 ..

The use of shad or whitefish as bait for cusk is prohibited.

page 20..

Cusk Lakes/Ponds Angling, Icefishing None

Rivers/Streams Angling None

NOTE: Cusk Fishing Device - See definitions. No "bobbing" or "jigging", must be checked once every 24 hours, fish caught due to movement of bait must be immediately released. Name and

address of angler must be marked on all cusk fishing devices.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Very Good Question. Mr Harry.

I find it is best to call Fish & Game when the rules/reg book or anything is questionable. I keep the number in my cell phone just in case?

To my knowledge...Cusk are the only fish allowed  to be kept if caught on a cusk line. I was fishing a few years back and actually caught a large salmon that had to go 5-6lbs and obviously cut the line. My buddies Dad got a nice laker the same way and was told by a F & G officer it was a good thing he had released it...Therefor I assume that cusk are the only fish allowed to be kept.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:08 PM »
If you could keep other fish on cusk lines, i would be using power bait on mine ::)

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Weird, the rule book used to be very specific that all other fish caught on cusk devices must be released. Can't seem to find it though.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Weird, the rule book used to be very specific that all other fish caught on cusk devices must be released. Can't seem to find it though.
Precisely, and factors then to be considered in C.F.D. design & strategy.  I'll be honest, I'm an eater of fish, cusk are delicious but I like lakers too.  Definately NOT above keeping by-catch if I'm not in "the wrong" to do so.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:49 PM »
You know what? I have enough info. to roll from here.  I have the regs, have read them fully and am going to abide by all stated guidelines.  As for the gray area, thats not my problem... just another guy trying to catch some fish.  Cheers!

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Part of the regulations is to "know the laws regarding the species you intend to fish". Just playing dumb when the fishcop comes by isn't gonna win you any leeway. You either need to know the law to the letter and abide by it... or err on the side of caution and release any fish you are uncertain to the legality of harvesting. Simple as that.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:32 PM »
i know this is a little off topic, but how many cusk devices are you allowed to have in addition to your two tip-ups on winni?  I have tried to find it in the book but it has eluded me thus far. any help  would be great
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Six cusk lines in addition to the two other lines.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline geo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:44 PM »
heres a fun fact. NH fish and game has a book of laws pertaining to wildlife and fishing. this book is almost ungetable. your law is probably in there. you know the nice thing. F&G only gives us a tiny little blue book with no clarification. first reason is to save money because NH F&G is poor, second is to slap fines on us for deciding wrongly on gray areas such as this.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:57 PM »
Six cusk lines in addition to the two other lines.
If its a branch with some mono & weight on it, it's a "cusk line"... With ingenuity, care, and deviance it becomes a "device"

Offline BrianNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:36 PM »
I don't know why it isn't clearly stated in the Freshwater Fishing Digest but Section 405.04 of the NH Fish and Game Rules states "Any fish other than cusk taken on a cusk fishing device shall be immediately liberated by cutting the line without removing the fish from the water."

The full Freshwater Fishing Rules can be found at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/fis400.html

Offline BrianNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:41 PM »
geo,

The full Wildlife regs can be found at http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/fis300.html

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:47 PM »
You can not keep a laker or any other fish except cusk when they are caught on a cusk line.

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:01 PM »
Last year at the newfound derby i caught a beauty rainbow(22"+,easy over 4lbs) on a cusk line..did the right thing and sent it back down the hole. >:(
Jig em up!

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:23 PM »
SSHHHHeessh, that is some kind of bummer.  Never having landed a bow myself I would figure that to be my own personal karma kick in the nuts.  From all I read about bow fishing, I can't magine how that could possibly happen?  How many f.o.w. were you in?  Bait?  1oz weight & all that stuff?  I can see how a laker might end up on there, salmon seems tough to figure, but a rainbow.... fishing in front of a deep inlet or something ???

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:42 PM »
SSHHHHeessh, that is some kind of bummer.  Never having landed a bow myself I would figure that to be my own personal karma kick in the nuts.  From all I read about bow fishing, I can't magine how that could possibly happen?  How many f.o.w. were you in?  Bait?  1oz weight & all that stuff?  I can see how a laker might end up on there, salmon seems tough to figure, but a rainbow.... fishing in front of a deep inlet or something ???
15' of water..right on a steep drop off down to 70'. smelt on the hook.50' away i had a tipup,5' of water same bait ??? >:( >:( Not even sure what won the Newfound derby last year?anybody remember?
Jig em up!

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2009, 02:53 PM »
 ;D one would not be able to convince an idiot he is an idiot think what you may  :laugh:

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2009, 03:10 PM »
;D one would not be able to convince an idiot he is an idiot think what you may  :laugh:
Nor an arrogant swine that he does not have all the answers.  Or a self-righteous puke that judgement is not his to pass.

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2009, 06:49 PM »
well I got the long awaited email from F&G regarding the email I sent them that was posted in the forum topic and this is the email I recieved today

Hello David
 The fishing digest doesn't really make it perfectly clear regarding cusk lines (and what you can keep).  The Fis rule 405.04 (b) states, "Any fish other than cusk taken on a cusk fishing device shall be immediately liberated by cutting the line without removing the fish from the water".  Basically a cusk fishing line or device is just that.  A device for the capture of cusk only.

Good luck out there this winter!
Don Miller
Donald Miller Large Lake Fisheries Biologis tNew Hampshire
Fish and Game DepartmentRegion 2New Hampton NH 03256(603) 744-5470

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.