The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Shanty Heaters  (Read 931 times)

Offline MaineSleddah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Bob/ Jack Traps!
Shanty Heaters
« on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:21 AM »
What are people using for shanty heaters? I have a big buddy, but it throws so much humidity that the windows frost up. I found Nu-Way heaters and they look good and vented. Venting should get the humidity out. Anyone with experience with them? http://www.nuwaystove.com/
They're lying when they tell you it's all in how you wiggle your bait!

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shanty Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Buddy heaters work great, but you must vent them, by cracking a window, and opening a vent in the
top of your shelter.  Then the windows stay relatively clear.

Offline Icebound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:51 AM »
I have the Nu-Way wood stove in my shanty and love it. Been using it for 4 years. The small fire place logs you buy at the store fit just right and last approx 2 hours before I start adding wood. My shanty is small 4'X8' and I've had it up to 110 degrees in there before but normally runs about 80 to 90. Great to cook on too.....

Offline MaineSleddah

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big Bob/ Jack Traps!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:40 AM »
My shanty is 4x8 also, but I was leaning towards the gas Nu-Way version. That way I can set it and forget it so to speak. Either lugging wood or a gas tank, you've got to haul something... I wonder if the gas model gets hot enough to cook on though???
They're lying when they tell you it's all in how you wiggle your bait!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:48 AM »
I used my Big Buddy yesterday for the first time icefishing and it went though those pound tanks like crazy. Of course it was 11 below when we started to fish and had warmed up to 4 below when we left at 4:30. I may bring my sunflower and a 20# tank for Moosehead.
Steve

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2009, 08:53 PM »
I have a small nuway stove for my 4x6 portable,  and I built a bigger version of it for my 8x9 permenant shack.  Its 18x18x26 and heats the perm shack great.  Couple big logs will keep it going for about 4hrs and the temp in the 80's  or higher depending on how much I stoke it.  I've also built quit a few small wood burners out of old 20lb proprane tanks, just make sure that all the propane is out and I fill them with water then cut out the holes with a cut off wheel.

Offline ICEMAN-73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Just about ready to give up on my buddy heater, right now it lies in pieces in my garage.If I can't get it to work maybe I'll give it to someone that might be handy with that kind of stuff?
Never Give Up!

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:50 PM »
Just about ready to give up on my buddy heater, right now it lies in pieces in my garage.If I can't get it to work maybe I'll give it to someone that might be handy with that kind of stuff?
Not sure where ya are, but I'd be willing to see if I can get it working for ya.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.