Author Topic: Vexilar  (Read 5846 times)

Offline BIG RED

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Real men Ride Clydesdales
Vexilar
« on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:24 AM »
If you were going to buy a new VEXILAR what model would you get?

Offline stag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's what I do....
Re: Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:41 AM »
Haven't had any experience with other models(fl12,fl-8..etc.) but I love my fl-20, it is very easy to use and some of the options it has that the others don't make it worth the extra $
Duane

Offline jerryklop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:01 AM »
I really really like my Marcum lx-5.  The Super Fine Line mode is incredible. 

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:11 AM »
i fish shallow lakes and got me a fl8se plenty good for the price.i fish side by side with the 18 and fl20 and those guys even wonder why they paid close to 200 more.

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I had the same problem this year deciding which model to buy for my first vex.  I debated between the fl18 and fl20.  I narrowed ot down to those two become of the bottom zoom feature.  I ended up getting the fl18 because I couldn't see paying the extra money for the flat screen and the extra zoom at 12'.  The zoom feature that lets you see the bottom 6' is awesome.  I didn't want to regret not getting the extra bells and whistles so thats why I chose the fl18 over the fl8, fl12.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:00 AM »
I also had to decide which vex to buy this year. I wanted to have the larger, flat screen that the 12 and the 20 have. I also knew that I wanted the dual beam transducer. The only upgrade between the 12 and the 20 is that the 20 has 6' and 12' bottom zoom, and then the 20 also has a night mode (dims the lights so it doesn't blind you). I was leaning towards the 12, but then Cabelas made up my mind. They ran a sale that gave me $100 off any purchase over $500. The FL-20 Ultrapack dual beam transducer was $550... on sale for $520. Then it was $100 off because it was over $500, so it's down to $420., then I had $20 in points. So I got it for $400 plus tax. I thought that was a heck a deal!! The bottom soom and the flat screen are WELL worth it in my opinion. Once I start doing more night fishing, I can see that the night mode will be well worth it too. I did night fish once and it seemed pretty sweet to be able to dim those lights.

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:06 AM »
Have had an FL-8 (all they had back then) for near 20 years now and it does everything I need it to, so's I haven't been able to justify buyin' one of the newer models. That said, if my pocketbook allowed and I was buying a new one it would probably have bottom zoom and dual beam transducer, as I think zoom would come in handy and I've purchased a wide angle transducer for mine (now have a 9 and 19 degree). The rest of the bells and whistles are just that IMO.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:39 AM »
If I was to buy another one I'd get the one with the most features I can afford. I bought mine thinking I'll just upgrade when this one wears out. That was over ten years ago.These things are not known for wearing out ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:47 AM »
If I was to get another one I would go with something with zoom and I would go to vex factory outlet

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 11:46 AM »
Drat!!! I have had my Vex for 4 seasons now, the fact that these things last forever when taken care of sucks. When you are a gadget junky like myself you always want the newest and nicest stuff.(money makes it a little harder sometimes) I guess my FL8-SE will have to do.( I still catch a ton of fish and outfish anyone who doesn't have electronics at least 3 - 1.) Maybe some sabotage is in order ( although I couldn't bare to hurt my dear Vex)

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:16 PM »
I have to agree with what the others have already said....the zoom IMHO is THE feature worth having. I have an FL-18 and if it broke today I would by another FL-18 tomorrow....the 20 has no additional features that I need. Just my .02!

Tight lines! 8)
"Feet Down and Bellys Up!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:26 PM »
I've tried pretty much everything out there (showdown, lowrance X67, zercoms, marcums, vexilars) and I would go with either an FL-18 or FL-20.  the bottom zoom is an oft used feature that some of the other units have.  The reason I like the Vexilars is simplicity and confidence.  I've had my fl-18 for years now, it works so simply but completely reliably.  Been dropped off a snowmobile at 50mph, off a quad at 30mph, into deep slush, and everything in between and just keeps on going.  the showdown feels chincy to me.  The lowrance is way too complicated (have to adjust pingspeed, sensitivity, color scale, etc), zercoms were nice but the hardware felt chincy to me, they were since bought out by marcum.  I don't like the key pad style control on the lx-5, nor do I like the "fine line" technology.

Offline PikerDude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:43 PM »
I just got my Vex Fl-18 Genz pack today.I went with the Genz pack because for the most part it was 50 bucks cheaper
than the pro-pack.I will add things on later..(battery meter) etc...If I do end up wanting  :) :)the pro pack style I can just order the pack itself for 30 bucks

Offline BIG RED

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Real men Ride Clydesdales
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:48 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys, I think i,m finally going to buy one FL-20 is leading the charge.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:52 PM »
I would get the FL-18 in the Ultra Pack.

I have an FL-8 SLT and like has been said it just will not die. I would really like to upgrade.

I did upgrade it from the old blue Genz box to the Ultrapack.

The ultrapack is nice in that it encloses the battery, provides charger terminals, master on/off switch, battery status/charger indicator, Rod holder, cable management.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Buy the best one you can afford, Period ;D ;D ;D ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Gill-N-Time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Any flasher will aid in your success,no matter what brand.
Although I'm partial to the fl18

Offline teacherd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2009, 03:58 PM »
My fl 18 is charging right now for tomorrow.  You'll never go out without it no matter which model.

Offline Mr. Jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:10 PM »
I own an fl8 and a fl18 which I've had for years.They are both rugged,accurate and dependable.I found that the fl18 is my "go to" unit most of the time because it allows me to fish in deeper water (down to 200') while my fl8 will register down to about 120'.Also the bottom zoom feature on the fl18 is great. Over the years I've collected a 9,12 & 19 degree ice ducers but use the 12 degree most of the time. Whatever Vex you decide on,I know you'll be happy with it's performance.

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I really really like my Marcum lx-5.  The Super Fine Line mode is incredible. 

Is that a Vexilar?
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:29 PM »
fl-18 or a fl-20

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:27 AM »

LOLOLOLOLOLOL...THATS GREAT ;D ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D

I just love it when someone asks a diredt question such as this guy did about a Vex and right away you get guys throwing in Marcum, Lowrance, Humminbird and everything else. I'm surprised someone hasn't responded with a comment about anchors or drift socks. :cookoo:
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Have had an FL-8 (all they had back then) for near 20 years now and it does everything I need it to, so's I haven't been able to justify buyin' one of the newer models. That said, if my pocketbook allowed and I was buying a new one it would probably have bottom zoom and dual beam transducer, as I think zoom would come in handy and I've purchased a wide angle transducer for mine (now have a 9 and 19 degree). The rest of the bells and whistles are just that IMO.
hello quack    I also have the vex fl8  & by exp.. tells me  if there is a faint  yellow line there is a fish hogging the bottem  also if you see there is a yellow line flikering on your  bottem  thick red line  its a fish down there
 so i dont think I need the other modles made

Steve Out
hope i helpped somebody  :tipup: :tipup:    I need to get fishin
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2009, 06:58 PM »
allso  I was so ready  to go ice fishin  & I knew  I forgot something  guess what it was <yes  it was my vex>
 & it was so  so now  it goes out 1st
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:24 PM »
Honestly it comes down to what you want for features! All I need is a 3 color flasher that has adjustable gain. The zoom feature is nice because most of the time all the fish are within the bottom 5 or 6 feet.
All the vexilars will work great and help you catch more fish. You're just paying more for something you don't really need, but is nice to have.

Offline mainemark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Honestly it comes down to what you want for features! All I need is a 3 color flasher that has adjustable gain. The zoom feature is nice because most of the time all the fish are within the bottom 5 or 6 feet.
All the vexilars will work great and help you catch more fish. You're just paying more for something you don't really need, but is nice to have.
I bought a vex 8 last winter. I guess i dont use it right, because i dont move around much. I use it to find a certain depth of water, and when i find what im looking for i catch fish. It is fun seeing fish on the flasher though.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:03 PM »
I bought a vex 8 last winter. I guess i dont use it right, because i dont move around much. I use it to find a certain depth of water, and when i find what im looking for i catch fish. It is fun seeing fish on the flasher though.

I fish the same way too. I don't think its reliable to find fish using only the vex. Many times it will be bare bottom down there, then you drop your bait and a swarm comes. If you can find the depth and see a fish (or at least your bait), then the vex has done its job!

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2009, 09:40 PM »
Just bought fl 20 this year and love it, also go to vexilars web site and you can by them reconditioned with the same warrenty as the new ones and save a little money

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2009, 11:20 PM »
I would buy the fl-20 ultra pack...oh wait..I already have it! The extra 6' zoom really helps when your jigging lakers to tease them up.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.