Author Topic: Lets Hear Your Favorite Fish Recipes/Badder  (Read 4385 times)

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • the 1st one on...and the last 1 off
Lets Hear Your Favorite Fish Recipes/Badder
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:15 PM »
i know theres 1000s of ways to prepare fish since there is an assorted variety of fish around the world... so lets here some of your favorites???

today i tried the beer badder one except i didnt use any beer.. i thought id put it in egg yolks seasoning salt lemon pepper cayienne pepper with a little bit of montreal steak spice...turn out pretty good if you ask me...the beer badder breading tends to stick and hold a better coat then flower, cracker, and breadcrumbs... it also seems to hold less oil then crackers and bread.. so if you get a chance give it a try
I'm El Capitan Of The Wally Destroyer

Offline firemb

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lets Hear Your Favorite Fish Recipes/Badder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Try 1 cup of cornflake crumbs,1cup of parmason cheese,1/4 cup Montreal steak spice.Start of with an egg dip and fry it in oil.Nice taste and crispy.

[img]

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 02:01 PM »
How badder do you want them? LOL.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 05:44 PM »
I have a few ways I like to batter them, here's one of my favorites.

Roll fish in plain white flour.............dunk fish into franks red hot sauce........then into a mix of flour and cornmeal (I usually mix it around 50/50 to 75 flour/25 cornmeal).  You could use pretty much all the other combos too, bread crumbs, cornflakes, etc, etc.  But its the hot sauce that's the key, you don't really need any other seasonings as its all in the sauce, I will sometimes add black pepper and that's about it, and it actually doesn't turn out overly hot, but lots of flavor.  You can use the extra hot stuff if you want more heat, I do sometimes, but the original is about perfect.......a little heat, great flavor.

Offline Tycar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Nice 26-1/2"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Dill Pickle Chips crushed up....mmmm
Work....That annoying time between fishing!

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2009, 12:42 AM »
ill definately have a couple recipes next time i cook up... but dill pickle chips???? ive had like seasonin salt bacon bits parsley lemon juice with dill before..and the dill overpowers all the others...but i cant say how the chips would taste..

Offline bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Born to Fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 05:52 AM »
Smokeys Fish Crisp sold at ProAm tackle

Offline snap-on

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:42 AM »
I have a few ways I like to batter them, here's one of my favorites.

Roll fish in plain white flour.............dunk fish into franks red hot sauce........then into a mix of flour and cornmeal (I usually mix it around 50/50 to 75 flour/25 cornmeal).  You could use pretty much all the other combos too, bread crumbs, cornflakes, etc, etc.  But its the hot sauce that's the key, you don't really need any other seasonings as its all in the sauce, I will sometimes add black pepper and that's about it, and it actually doesn't turn out overly hot, but lots of flavor.  You can use the extra hot stuff if you want more heat, I do sometimes, but the original is about perfect.......a little heat, great flavor.
WOW THAT SOUNDS SOOOOO GOOD I GOT TO TRY THAT THIS WEEKEND FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:56 AM »
If anyone ever catches lake trout/togue/macks... whatever you want to call them, you know they are not known for tasting that great. usually tons of seasonings with garlic and onions parm. cheese etc. BUT, i made it this way last week and, ohhhhh baby, it was the best fish i have ever eaten. i was blown away with my creation. so:

1. make this blackening seasoning http://southernfood.about.com/od/seasoningrecipes/r/blbb251.htm and add extra of whatever you like. i added a bit more hot pepper flakes.
2. cover lake trout fillets with seasoning and pat the seasoning onto them so it sticks
3. heat a 10-12'' cast iron skillet with a little oil to coat pan on med/hi heat.
4. melt a little butter in a wide dish
5. once the pan is ready dip each side of the seasoned fillets in melted butter then put on the hot pan.
6. flip after the first side is blackened then once the second side is blackened add about 1 tblspoon of butter.
7. the butter should stop from further blackening too much so keep flipping back and forth until cooked depending on the thickness of the fillet.

Add a little parm cheese and possibly lemon to taste and enjoy!

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:02 AM »
sweet ill have to try that lake trout recipe....im goin up to flin flon inthe summer..copy and paste  ;D

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:04 AM »
cast iron is the key  ;)

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Easy and quick batter that really sticks to fish...
  1 cup flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1tsp ground black pepper
1cup milk
1 egg
roughly 1 1/2 pounds of fish

Mix flour-dry ingredents-stir in milk and egg until smooth-let stand 20 minutes-coat and fry. Seasonings can be added before letting set to each persons taste. I just make it the way it calls for.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:10 AM »
well i appreciate all the ideas...but dont stop now keep em comin  :laugh:

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:11 AM »
boil in salted water, dip in butter  ;D

Offline Bunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "when in doubt,set the hook!"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:15 AM »
boil in salted water, dip in butter  ;D
i've heard it called "poor man's lobster". it's awesome!

Offline Tycar

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A Nice 26-1/2"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:38 PM »
ill definately have a couple recipes next time i cook up... but dill pickle chips???? ive had like seasonin salt bacon bits parsley lemon juice with dill before..and the dill overpowers all the others...but i cant say how the chips would taste..

I was a sceptic too, but I tried it and the chips were not over powering at all.....suprised me

Think I may have to give MA's recipie a try....sounds interesting
Work....That annoying time between fishing!

Offline Fish_whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2009, 03:54 PM »
Although a good  batter can be great and i may have to try some the above recipes, I personally like it really simple. In a cast iron skillet put about about 2 tbsp of olive oil (I have a oil jar with a bunch of dried chillies in it - some whole some crushed - that I use), a couple of generous scoops of butter, add your fish that has been salted and peppered and squeeze the juice from a lemon on top. It ends up frying/steaming the fillets. You get a great lemony flavour and it isn't greasy. Good eat'in!

Offline tibbs42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2009, 11:52 AM »
heres another

first throw it on a larger peice of tinfoil..melt some butter...throw a decent portion on...i usually use lots...but others may want to use less...spice with seasoning salt, lemon pepper, a tiny bit of cayienne pepper, a tiny bit of celery salt, throw in chives, bacon bits, and dill, but when you do try and make it so the butter gets trapped inside the tinfoil..keepin all the ingredients inside..and throw it on the barbeque for about 15-20 mins on low...its one i havent done in a while...but i assure you..its very delicious

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.