The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tip-up fishing  (Read 662 times)

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
tip-up fishing
« on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:50 AM »
Anybody else use "quickstrike "rigging. I switched from a single hook to a one small "double" hook years ago. I rarely lose fish anymore. In lieu of wire, I use braid. Works pretty good. I set the hook fast. Treble "always finds the meat. I see alot of guys letting flags go for 5 minutes or more with the "let him swallow it" mentality. Bass can swallow a bait instantly. I've seen guys use 5/0 baitholders. ??? One #8 double or treble causes alot less stress on fish IMHO and hooks up better in big mouths of pike and pickeral. When I used single hooks, The hook would always pull out of the mouth. I've had no problems hooking and landing toothy fish over 30 inches w/ these methods. 99% of the fish I catch this way get released unharmed. I find that one small double hook is fine for regular large storebought shiners. What do you other guys use out there?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tip-up fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:11 AM »
I use small trebles, usually red. Also, becoming a fan of braid; gray Fireline is my leader of choice. Occasionally a bass will swallow one, and I'll cut, but usually I'm going for perch when I put them out. I set the hook as soon as I get to the flag, as well. I suppose if I was fishing huge baits for toothy critters, I'd think about a traditional quick strike rig.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:16 AM »
I usually use a long shank aberdeen or true-turn hook. The long shank helps for hook removal. I'm not really a fan of trebles at all because they tend to hurt the fish. I do catch and realease 99% of the time so I don't want to hurt the fish. Also helps to pinch the barbs half way down. Quickstrikes are too large as I use smaller baits. Have been using 12lb flurocarbon as leader material. I agree for very large baits a quick strike is probably best especially if it has euro hooks on it.

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:13 PM »
size 12 VMC trebles. Swallow it to their gullet! They never get away!

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.