Author Topic: What are the best baits for Rainbows?  (Read 4268 times)

sweet446

What are the best baits for Rainbows?
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Hey guys could u help me out here what baits are good for Rainbows?

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: What are the best baits for Rainbows?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2004, 03:01 PM »
I usually like icicles and night crawlers but some days they will take eggs (either salmon or another kind that u can buy in most baitshops) or some kind of power over the crawlers and minnows.
Jason

sweet446

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 03:46 PM »
hey thanks for the tips dude ill try them later and what colur of eggs?

raleigh

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Well there is lots of things, Night crawlers work good. Rainbow and sherbert power bait work good. If you are fishing through the ice i would go with a swedish pimple or orange and pink shrimpos tiped with quater to half peice of night crawler. There is so many things on the market for trout. Just go to your local bait and tackel shop and ask them.An it all kinda depends if your fishing for them through ice or open water or a river.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Crawlers, Mealies, or Waxies
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2004, 08:11 PM »
I really think nightcrawlers are the best all around bait for trout and many winter fish period. You can easily size them to whatever the preferences of the fish are that particular day. Mealworms and waxworms are also good options and also live minnows in the two to seven inch range are deadly. Just be careful not to dump out your remaining minnows at the end of the day unless the minnows you have came from the same watershed.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Big E

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2004, 12:39 AM »
Hey... Here on the West Coast Rainbow Trout are really popular. Trout eggs and worms don't do much here. The most effective bait we use here is Berkley Power Bait...in Rainbow color. We generally use 4# test. 1/2 oz egg sinker over a bead then swivel. Tied to the swivel we use a 18-24 inch 2-4# leader. Use a size 12 to 14 gold treble hook. Use just a little Rainbow Power Bait. Put into your palm and roll into a ball about 1/4 to 3/8 inches. Press onto treble hook and round out again...just enough to cover the hook tips. It works better than anything else we have tried. Good Luck... Big E

Big E

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 12:43 AM »
Hi... I forgot to mention that we are fishing from shore and casting out into a lake....therefore the use of the weight. If fishing from a boat...don't forget that Power Bait floats so you will need some kind of weight...split shot or something else to keep it down under water.  Big E

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:53 AM »
can the power bait, it works only on stocked trout. It resembles the food that they are fed in hatcherys
0n real trout, wild ones, it never catches them. Worms kill real trout.

Can the powerbait
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

sweet446

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2004, 01:33 PM »
 thats right ive tried to use powerbait on real trout and it works like crap but at the the one place i went it worked great because thats a stocked pond.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #9 on: Aug 26, 2004, 08:54 PM »
I also like worms for trout through the ice and open water.

My favorite trout set up is an orange shrimpo tipped with a wax worm. Fish very slowly, just twitch it.
But shrimpos are not good search lures, but if you see a trout down there on your sonar a tipped-shrimpo will catch it, but if you don't see one a shrimpo isn't a very good choice. Maybe attract them with a silver castmaster jigged fairly quickly (tip this too just in case they like to bite it, some do!) When you see the fish on your sonar and it won't bite your castmaster, bring it up and put the shrimpo down the hole. This technique works well on neutral trout.

For nonaggressive, I like a plain old fat nightcrawler, usually sitting about 1 ft. off the bottom. Put them on tipups and maybe jig fairly close by with a silver or gold shiny castmaster to draw the fish in.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2004, 09:51 PM »
power eggs or PAUTZKE'S (GREEN LABEL) salmon eggs fished over a sandy bottom in 1 to 5 feet of water.chum your holes with salmon eggs.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2004, 05:01 PM »
How about Micro jig jigs!  Work great with just a small piece of raw shrimp.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2004, 06:38 PM »
ive had luck with minners on a red hook and kastmasters jiggen um

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2004, 10:36 AM »
Blood worms.  SSHHhhhhhh. Don't tell everyone.
But they are hard to get and I'm not telling my sourses. ;)

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2004, 02:14 PM »
terry really expensive where i live but the guys use them in the spring for striper

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2004, 01:26 AM »
Worth every penny.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.