The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Chubby Darters???  (Read 4931 times)

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Chubby Darters???
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:12 PM »
Just wonderin if anyone has used these little guys before. ive heard they are some of the best swimming jigs for the hardwater. just ordered a few today and excited to try em out. i really wana try to catch some eyes with one, but i think i need to start with catchin ONE cause i never have. they seem like they will work for just about anythin though. just curious

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Chubby Darters???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I just picked up my first a couple of weeks ago so I havn't used it much yet (about 2 hours use).  But I did catch one small eye on Canyon Ferry with it.  I think they will work very well.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:39 PM »
thats good to hear. where you using the perch color? i bought 2 in the perch and 1 size 4 in the hot perch. i know walleye spots are kinda shush shush but the next time i head to CF where should i head? i've fished by the boat launch at silos before with a buddy whos caught eyes there, and then headed N to where all the perch hang out. but do they usually follow the perch pretty close or is it just hit or miss anywhere on the lake?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:42 PM »
It was a hot perch color.  I went to Hole in the Wall.  I had other sniffers on the sonar but only one taker.  I didn't use any bait on it.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:10 PM »
sweet. yea im really excited to try em out. when ur fishin CF do you use like 4-6 lb test when your out for eyes? if im perchin with some 2 lb am i gona be screwed if i hook into one?

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:39 AM »
shouldn't be a problem if you play them easy, maybe spool up an extra real with some 4-6 lb line wouldn't be such a bad idea if you're going for them..   i don't think perch care about the line size you're using too much.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:01 AM »
Let me tell you what I have experienced with these lures...

First they are incredible when it comes to swimming they swim all over the place. If you have two holes drilled close together you will actually swim into the other hole and potentially hook other lines. Obviously they are a little larger so they ten to hook the bigger fish although I have caught some 8 inch perch on the as well and actually saw a 4 inch perch try to eat it which was quite humorous!

The key to these baits is the fall... They swim when they fall so use a short snapping motion when jigging them and than let them fall... The Walleye will hit them don't worry about that.

They work absolutely best with 2 lb test or smaller. 4 lb works but it doesn't swim quite as well. Here is what I would do. If you are fishing for eyes go buy some line at Cabela's or wherever else you can buy it that is 1 lb diameter but is equal to 12-14 lb test. You will get the best out of the chubby darter and will be able to handle some of the bigger walleye. You can search for the line and it is more expensive but you will lose less fish. As far as perch go I fish 2 pound test and have caught some jumbos on these and had no problem landing them.

The key to hooking it up is this...

First depending on what you are fishing for... If you are fishing for perch and perch alone put a swivel about 3 feet up on your line than tie a 3' piece of line underneath of it with a snap swivel and hook the chubby darter on that. This allows for more places to break but if you are only going for perch it allows it to swim the best and also allows for lack of line twist.

If you are fishing bigger fish tie on a snap swivel to the end and hook the darter on which allows for less breaking points...

Make sure you keep it active if you have a flasher you will see the fish look at it and don't let it stop but bounce it around they will hit it on the move they want to see an active fish just like they like live bait which you aren't allowed to use most parts of Montana.

I have busted some big MAC's off with the chubby darter, only because they have hit it thinking it was a perch in 3 feet of water!! Good luck and I hope this helps!

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Mike,

I was thinking of getting a couple for mac's.  What color/size would you recommend?

Thanks.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2008, 01:39 PM »
I fished perch but that is because there were perch around. I wasn't even fishing for the macs however and had one break me off within 10 seconds after I put it down the whole and another two try to hit it and I pulled it away as I didn't have strong enough line to hold one.

My Suggestion would be the regular perch color... Hot perch is OK if you want to try and get the attention of them but they like the regular perch more. And get them in either a size 3 or 4 you can get bigger but most of my success for macs was on a size 4... Perch and walleyes I would go size 3 mainly and occasionally size 4 for the bigger eyes! Good luck!

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:02 PM »
hey mike, thanks alot! thats a bunch of great info to get me started before i head out on the ice. i do have a flasher anda cam so i'll keep jiggin when fish come in. although if they actually swim that far away from the hole i guess im gona have to be careful where i put the cam huh? have you ever used the glow one when fishin for eyes at night?

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:04 PM »
maybe a dumb question but what are you guys refering to when you say "macs".

Thanks.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2008, 03:41 PM »
I have never used them for jigging at night for eyes, but I have heard from sources that they work VERY well... Take that for what it is worth! Good luck!

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2008, 05:40 PM »
cool. i dont know how many opportunities im gona have to fish for walleyes but it sure would be fun to catch em at nite jiggin. thanks again mike. this is why this site is so great cuz other fisherman can help each other out. too bad "bud" never figured this out!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline hempbake1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Too bad everyone can let it go but you can't? Come on it's over, so drop the digs on others.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:48 PM »
hemp its over, i just thought is was funny because i have been so out of the loop with this whole mishap and my posts unknowingly were very similar to what was going on. i didnt mean to bash.  :thumbsup:

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:17 AM »
going to go try some out on tiber this week.   Hopefully they live up to the hype.
l

Offline i c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:04 PM »
where does everyone get their darters ?sportsmans warehouse said they dont stalk them..

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2008, 08:07 PM »
 Scheels has them. $6.49

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2008, 11:26 PM »
i had to buy mine from some place in MN on the net. does scheels sell size 3s??? the guy i talked to in MN said in about 3 weeks he thinks they are going to be hard to find anywhere due to demand

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Hey buy them at Cabela's in Minneapolis or order them from cabela's online... That is where I get all of mine!

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2008, 07:16 PM »
 All I buy is 3's and the scheels in billings has a bunch. The price is as good if not better then elsewhere. Try the roach color. I've caught everything from perch to pike to trout on a size 3 roach. I think the perch colors are more for marketing to fisherman. I highly doubt that you'll see these darters drying up. Not at the price they cost. It'd be like not being able to find rapalas.Wish full thinking by a salesman.   

Offline fromnwmont

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:58 AM »
We did very well with them on Pike & perch but watch out I eventually suffered a split ring failure on the back hook after catching a rather large Pike,,,

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:07 PM »
 I've had the trebles break off also. Who knows what those pollacks are using for hooks and rings. I've replaced most of my hooks with mustad.Just what you want to do on a lure that costs 7 bucks or more.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:21 AM »
Anyone had any luck with the "Yellow Dace" color? I just bought the last #3 darter from Capital Sports in Helena for $5.99. and thats the color. hope its not a dud though.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:36 AM »
 I've had good luck with all of the colors except perch.For 5.99 they've finally gotten realistic with prices.

Offline icebugler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2008, 01:04 PM »
I've been tryin mine here and there with not quite as much success as i was hopin i guess. i know they arent the answer to catching fish but everytime i've been fishin they seem to want something else. i do like the action though, and im excited to have a day where they just cant resist them. if i were to call scheels in billings do you think they would do a phone order for me?

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2008, 12:46 AM »
 Try it,all they can say is no.

Offline benwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 10, 2008, 04:31 PM »
If your having trouble with the hooks breaking off, the Chubby Darters are guaranteed for life. All you need to do is send them back to the company and the will send you a new one.
Ben

Offline sledder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:24 AM »
 Well actually the lure is guaranteed for everything except worn out hooks.The lure in question had the trebles basically shatter.So I believe it was a bad batch of hooks with a bad tempering,brand new lure. The problem is,you're dealing with a distributor in the U.S,who then goes through salmo in poland,for everything.

You don't deal directly with salmo. Its really a joke,you have a lure that retails for 8.99 on their website,which they probably don't even pay a dollar for,from salmo. Then they treat warranty on the lure like its a cummins turbo diesel that needs total replacement.

I'll see how it all plays out,but at this time the warranty isn't much.Other then a sales pitch.

Offline deadeyerik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:25 PM »
OK, Somebody please tell me what this lure is supposed to do again. I got a #3 perch color. I dropped it in a hole in front of my fish TV and started working it. When I jerked it up it does a little flip and then drops like a rock straight down. Maybe a little bit of a flutter{very little bit} on the way down. After all the raving about this lure I was really disapointed. Didn't look natural at all. Did I get a lemon?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.