Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Bass Pro Altoona..what a joke.  (Read 3524 times)

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bass Pro Altoona..what a joke.
« on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Had 55 bucks in gift cards from the holidays to burn so I figured id run down and grab some clam accesories like they had on their site. Get there only to find the only shanty accessories they even carry are a few travel covers and hi fax..the joke doesn't even end there. Counted 19 defect or just plain broke ice rods out of the maybe fifty they had on display ( rod distributors must hate them too). Everything from completely twisted blanks to eyelets bent all to hell. All the while the two buffoons they have running fishing area are busy playin tummy sticks while people come and go never batting an eye. Isnt it common sense to not stock reject or just plain busted merch?? Their selection was terrible on what they did have. Only ice line they had in stock was their garbage brand... but they have an " Ice fishing seminar tomorrow" what a joke. Guy in electronics says they dont evem sell vex flashers or accesories for them. Oh and last thing.. as I was about to leave overheard a gentleman ask one of the two already mentioned dimwits which rod would be good for crappie. . I listen and watch as he suggests a mediom heavy genz rod! I couldnt take any more. Walked over and pointed out to the idiot kid that the 45 dollar rod he was tryin to push on the guy was way to bulky and on top of that twisted all to hell! I said calmly not tryin to be an a- hole but your money is better spent elsewhere man. I walked off never to return to that dump ever again. Anyone else had similar experience with this place??

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bass Pro Altoona..what a joke.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:46 AM »
Disgruntled employee? Just kidding. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Tomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:38 AM »
There definitely needs to be a Cabela's in central Iowa.  I was looking for some small Bait Puck's, and cannot find them.  The variety that the stores in central Iowa stinks.  Cabela's when are you coming to the Des Moines area ??? ??? ??? ??? ???.
Otter XT 1200 Lodge, Clam 6800, Clam JR, Strikemaster Auger, Marcum LX5, Honda Rincon.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 10:44 AM »
Try the small local bait shops they seem to cater more to the needs of the locals than the big stores do....

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Des Moines does have a shortage of outdoor retail places ever since Floyd's closed. haha I couldn't type that with a straight face. Anyone remember that shop?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:18 AM »
There definitely needs to be a Cabela's in central Iowa.  I was looking for some small Bait Puck's, and cannot find them.  The variety that the stores in central Iowa stinks.  Cabela's when are you coming to the Des Moines area ??? ??? ??? ??? ???.

If you cant find them locally, fishusa has them and free shipping. They have all 3 sizes.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Wald0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
ive been to bass pro a few times.....Im not fond of it either. Would rather stop at scheels or fleet n farm

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2014, 12:42 PM »
Wait.....if you don't go back, you won't be able to talk to the talking moose. He's real, right???
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Jax in Ames pretty well has it all

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline gotcrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:07 PM »
That's why my money has been going to Scheels now.  I feel there customer service is better and employees more knowledgeable.

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I have taking a likeing to fleet farm and schells if I am hoping in store  but reeds is great if shopping on the net.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Bass Pro is not a serious outdoor store.  They are a tourist trap designed to push trinkets and their branded apparel, hats, mugs, etc.  Their ice fishing selection, even online, is worse than your local Theisen's or Farm and Fleet.  I will drive the extra miles to go to Scheel's in Des Moines or Coralville.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I've not been impressed myself.  Several times I've asked a young employee where something was then they'd have to go find someone else.  Ended up the second one didn't know anymore than the first and never did find what I was looking for.  I still go in but half the time come out with nothing.  I like Fleet farm.

Offline cyclones30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Go to Scheels, FF, Jax, Polk City, etc. Plenty of other choices with better selections. I'd also like a Cabelas ANYWHERE in the state....

Offline iowaicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:14 PM »
Couldn't agree more. I live less than a mile from there and drive to ankeny to fleet and farm. 2 pack of jigs is over a dollar cheaper and BP never have waxies.

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Couldnt agree more. Fleet Farm has the Bait Pucks, and a lot more.
I went to BPS to pick up one of the bucket caddies I had seen online. I asked an associate and he told me it was showing they were supposed to receive a few thousand more since the first order had sold out. The second shipment never showed up, and he couldnt give me a definitive answer on even if they were going to get anymore.
Their selection of ice fishing equipment is a joke. Just trying to compare prices is impossible since they dont carry half of what is advertised or stocked by competitors.
Fleet Farm: my new favorite store.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline bogey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2014, 07:58 PM »
casey's bait on des moines eastside on easton small in size but he has alot of stuff nice big waxies

Offline herkyicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:10 PM »
BPS had bait pucks for .88. Mills wanted $10 a pr or some crap like that. I'm sold on FF yet but I know that BPS selection of ice gear sucks, FF was so picked over there wasn't anything left I wanted to buy. Scheels is a lot longer drive for me. Who the h  e dbl ell wants a vex?
Go with Marcum or go home, lol

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2014, 08:18 PM »
I have had a similar problem at the BPS in Council Bluffs, the sales guy told me that hey haven't gotten much in this year from the distributor.  He said a lot of the jigs and combos are left over from last year.  i don't know but i think from now on i'll have to go to cabelas or scheels in Omaha, they both have a lot more selection.

Offline Bowhunter78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:47 PM »
The help there doesnt know much about any of their products! Once I asked for a recurve and they brought me to the crossbows and said that was all they had, but later finding some cheap recurves myself. After that i asked for fletching for my cedar arrows and they took me to the shrink on vanes. They dont know sh-t there! The same day my buddy asked about AR15 accessories and they actually told him he would be better of buying from Brownels

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Not defending that place walleye, but you did come way late in their season, their ice stuff was out in October. I used to work there, you guys don't know the half of it. That place is like being in high school again, grown adults spreading rumors, who's tagging who this week, so on. I couldn't leave that place fast enough. They don't control what they order either,  you get 2-3 trucks a week, but you won't get an actual date for when it's coming. And about them not carrying Vex stuff, good ol' Johnny Morris and the head Vex guy got into it at a show and he pulled their product from their shelves. Overall just not a great company. They'll put their name on anything to make a buck. And they'll always hire out of store instead of promoting within. (End rant)

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:22 AM »
I feel your pain.  I stopped going there after they put in Mills.  So Mills and Scheels are my go to outdoor suppliers.  I only go to BassPro if I have to, I don't need to go on a long rant since many people here have but I have experience all the problems the others have.

Offline sksemke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I went in to BP this fall looking to buy a flasher and I asked for a Vexilar and the guy had no idea what I was talking about. I told him its a fish finder for the ice, he said ohhhhh we have those, then he takes me to the section where the boat fish finders were and tried to sell me one of those! Finally I spoke with someone who knew what I wanted and he said they only sold Marcum and Hummingbird flashers, I said ok let me see those, they had one Marcum display model. I went to Scheels after that and spent about 45mins talking to a very knowledgeable man about flashers, jigs, and everything else ice fishing. Scheels might be a little higher priced but at least they know what a flasher is!! Went with the Humminbird Ice 35 by the way, and when I told the guy I wanted that one he said make sure you tell the cashier that Blains Farm & Fleet have these on sale for $269, we will match them!

Offline Pearl Ram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2014, 08:50 PM »
I agree it's like Disney meets the outdoors. I have found some treasures there but mostly their clothing is poor quality Red Head brand, I can't figure out why the salt water fishing section is bigger than ice fishing in their Iowa store? I have been to their Isle Mirada store in the keys now that place is a destination!
My buddy  picked Me up some bait pucks for .88 cents I thought they were sucker bait until I used them now I see the popularity duncombe gas and grocery packs their waxies and spikes in used chew cans which they don't always clean out. First trip on brushy noticed pungent chew smell every time I rebaited finally found a huge chunk of crap in the can of dip. Pretty much figured out nicotine not much of an attractant to panfish.
I will keep going there but for My money Sportsmans Warehouse, Scheels, and Jax in Ames get You where You need to be.

Offline IowaIceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:05 PM »
No comment on BPS but if you want a decent bait puck, I use leftover containers from Ice Breakers mints.  I used chew cans once but I didn't like the lids.  The Ice Breakers clean out nice and have flip top lids that are real handy.  Plus, you get to eat the mints which aren't bad either. 

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I go to fleet and farm and scheels all the time. Although I admit I dont buy much from sheels as they are too high priced unless its on sale. I prefer to do buissines with the smaller places.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Cotacatchers

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • No Bad Day on Ice
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:10 PM »
Council Bluffs isnt much better , we do have a Scheels and a Cabelas in Omaha too , much rather hit up Scheels as the staff is very helpful and prices are better
 I would pay a little more at BPS or Cabelas if it wasnt such a pain to deal with staff
 . I do wish we had a Fleet Farm over here  .

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:22 PM »
For me in central Iowa it's Fleet Farm, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Jax.  Scheels is on the opposite side of DSM and I don't care to put in the extra drive.

BPS has been terrible for most of their stuff ever since it opened.  Prices are generally outrageous, and the store brand products are almost as bad as Walmart store brand stuff is.
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Offline hardH20guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:57 PM »
cabelas in owatonna is no better! we stopped 2 days after xmas and found nothing i was looking for. found it all at fleet farm in mason tho!!

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2014, 07:40 PM »
Just go see toofuss at polk city bait and you guys are right we need cabelas I'm from minnesota and damn I miss ir.  Gander mountain is another good one and there is one in cedar rapids
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.