Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Bass Pro Altoona..what a joke.  (Read 3526 times)

Offline jkujawa81

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bass Pro Altoona..what a joke.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:45 PM »
If any of you guys head north towards waterloo hit hanks live bait and tackle on 15th street... one of the best I've ever dealt with.... also ask to check out andys shovel!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Bass Pro is an "ice fishing" store by default here in Iowa.  They are a southern store, just look at their store map on their website.  They don't need ice fishing items, most of their store obviously don't even carry any ice fishing things.  I doubt they sell too many flashers at their headquarters in Springfield Missouri.  They stock some ice gear in stores to help give their shoppers a chance to buy things.  Being the best or even an adequate ice fishing distributor is probably on the bottom of their New Years Resolutions.  It is too bad that the folks in the DSM store do not know more about the products that they are there to help sell, that is a manager issue I would think...but I am not in the retail business so not sure. 

I will say that Scheels employees get my nod for actual knowledge of things.  Hanks Bait and Tackle in Waterloo is the best stocked store in Iowa for ice gear. (I have not been to Kabeles though...heard they are good too)  If you haven't been to Hanks, you should stop by...you will be pleasantly surprised.
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Shrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:08 AM »
 :P I work in the fishing department in the Scheels store in Iowa City, Coralville store. I must say if I try and go to other outdoors in our area I am usually very disappointed. We had a great selection going into hard water season this year. Getting thinner now but we did just get a shipment of stuff in. If we don't have it we will do our very best to help you out. And all of us sales guys know fishing and speaking for myself I do a lot of it!

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Des Moines does have a shortage of outdoor retail places ever since Floyd's closed. haha I couldn't type that with a straight face. Anyone remember that shop?
I remember Floyd's it was on Merle Hay Road I think where Big Lots is now. The selection was real good and the personnel was really knowledgeable too! ;D

Offline JacobHokanson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 11, 2014, 09:41 PM »
in the summer never had a real big problem wiht BPS, but winter yes, was looking for replacement blades like a week or two ago, guy says they're all out of stock, and i says to him "when you goinging to get more in?" the guy says back "oh we arent ordering any more ice fishing stuff the rest of the season, have to make room for the new spring stuff, told him "make more sence to keep the stuff people are using now on stock and in hand!" and walked off,

FLeet farm just has too many people for me, I kinda have takin a likin to Sportsman Wherehouse, accross the street, not as big, less people and always have what im looking for and for a decent price as well.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.